Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heb0

New Ban System: We Need Your Feedback!

Should probably do it so that if you are caught with another account during your one year suspension/ban you lose the chance to come back.

Also if you get the chance to come back should the warns be lowered from 7 to 6. Since you are getting chances and the forums are fairly lenient as it is. Then to be safe move everyone on 6 down to 5.

@Fini, you can set it so it's not balanced. You also have another way of displaying warns, they come up as little squares instead. But I don't think having it imbalanced would work well. Course it doesn't really matter if you are that far in the negative you probably aren't even displaying your warn log until you retire (arianna for example).

Edited by Fatalysm

Should probably do it so that if you are caught with another account during your one year suspension/ban you lose the chance to come back.

That's another option. I think the reasoning for extending the suspension rather than outright banning was that if a person gets banned they'll keep ban evading 'cause they have nothing to lose, whereas if they just get an extend suspension the chance of getting to coe back might encourage them to be patient and not make more accounts.

That's the idea in theory. Whether it works in practice, however, is certainly debatable.

Edited by heb0

Also I have a question: Will we still have mod review/warn reduction after 1+ month?

yes

nothing changes there

Then my next question would be how time on suspension affects the ability to have your warn reduced? After the 7th warn is it not possible to get a reduction or if so would you just be suspended for a year again?

Also I have a question: Will we still have mod review/warn reduction after 1+ month?

yes

nothing changes there

Then my next question would be how time on suspension affects the ability to have your warn reduced? After the 7th warn is it not possible to get a reduction or if so would you just be suspended for a year again?

After the 7th warn you would be able to get a reduction just as before. After one-month of acceptable posting after your return, you could have your warn level reduced to 6. If you reached 7 again, you would receive yet another year-long suspension.

yes

nothing changes there

After the 7th warn you would be able to get a reduction just as before. After one-month of acceptable posting after your return, you could have your warn level reduced to 6. If you reached 7 again, you would receive yet another year-long suspension.

Then everything makes perfect sense to me. I'm all for it.

I see some flaws with the proposed system of ban reviews. If this rolls out, the banned will make an appeal (in post form) in their own forum stating why they should be allowed to come back. In essence, they are trying to prove that they are more mature and levelheaded than when they were banned.

But can we really decide on a person's maturity based on one post?

If I was to write a persuasive essay for school on a certain stance, I could do it whether I agreed with the stance or not. I could also make myself seem much more mature in that one essay than how mature I actually am when conversing with others.

Banned members can do this too. If the way back into Sal's is to write a mature post, anyone can do it. But is this really a good judge of maturity? For example, look at that whole controversy surrounding Richman/SwaggBaller a little while ago. In the original post, he presented himself in a very calm and levelheaded matter. But as soon as people replied to his thread shooting him down or stating their opinions, he started flaming, flamebaiting, and showing us all that he really wasn't that mature.

My suggestion? Let banned members back in, but monitor their posts for a period of time. This period of time could be anywhere from two weeks to a month, and can be extended if staff sees fit. If they cross a line, they are banned again. If they show that they have improved, we let them stay. By doing this we could truly see if a person has matured and changed. This would also eliminate the need for these appeals, but these two ideas can be used in conjunction as well.

Thoughts?

Now I need more warns to get banned. not naise u guys!

Doesn't sound that much different, I guess I'm okay with it.

Im guessing that the mods will converse with the appealing members in the banned forum, and they will be on a kind of probation when they return as they will have 7 warns and an 8th is a perm ban.

Stemming off of Tabt's above post, how many warns will a returing banned member have when they are allowed access? Will they still be at 7 warns?

Stemming off of Tabt's above post, how many warns will a returing banned member have when they are allowed access? Will they still be at 7 warns?

Yes, until they earn a warn reduction.

I see some flaws with the proposed system of ban reviews. If this rolls out, the banned will make an appeal (in post form) in their own forum stating why they should be allowed to come back. In essence, they are trying to prove that they are more mature and levelheaded than when they were banned.

If I was to write a persuasive essay for school on a certain stance, I could do it whether I agreed with the stance or not. I could also make myself seem much more mature in that one essay than how mature I actually am when conversing with others.

It's not as if the staff is naive to that tone, surely you understand each review is looked at on a case-by-case basis which means past actions and behavior will be considered and not everyone will be allowed to return. There is also just as much of a chance that the person is trying to act mature because they want to become an active member of the community again, so we are letting them.

My suggestion? Let banned members back in, but monitor their posts for a period of time.

Which in part is what the report system is for, and I'm sure a returning member will be well aware that they are being monitored whether they choose to clue in or not.

It's not as if the staff is naive to that tone, surely you understand each review is looked at on a case-by-case basis which means past actions and behavior will be considered and not everyone will be allowed to return. There is also just as much of a chance that the person is trying to act mature because they want to become an active member of the community again, so we are letting them.

My suggestion? Let banned members back in, but monitor their posts for a period of time.

Which in part is what the report system is for, and I'm sure a returning member will be well aware that they are being monitored whether they choose to clue in or not.

I am not suggesting that the moderators are naive, I am simply stating that it's an unnecessary system considering you can fake maturity (as proven by SwaggBaller). All we really need to do is monitor the users.

I'd be happy with what's proposed or with what Samsara said however it might be good to monitor them as if they were making their first 30 posts on the forums like new members?

I'm not saying staff can't pick out those people and judge them well enough, it might just be a better practice to let people back in under 'surveillance' and if they continue rule breaking past their 'x' amount of posts they get permanently banned.

I'd be happy with what's proposed or with what Samsara said however it might be good to monitor them as if they were making their first 30 posts on the forums like new members?

I'm not saying staff can't pick out those people and judge them well enough, it might just be a better practice to let people back in under 'surveillance' and if they continue rule breaking past their 'x' amount of posts they get permanently banned.

They will get permanently banned if they continue to rule break as they will return with 7 warns. They will be under surveillance as other users will report them if they make a hullabaloo.

Controversial as it may seem, make the unban requests available to everyone, so we get a decision

Controversial as it may seem, make the unban requests available to everyone, so we get a decision

That wouldn't work at all.

That would be a big major flamey trollfest. Its not up to us, if someone is allowed back then it should be the mods decision and we should respect that decision. If you open it up to the masses it would get messy.

That would be a big major flamey trollfest. Its not up to us, if someone is allowed back then it should be the mods decision and we should respect that decision. If you open it up to the masses it would get messy.

I actually think it would be enjoyable

Sal's isn't a democracy, that wouldn't work.

If the decision to allow someone back in were open to the public, it would become a popularity contest at best. Nothing good can come of giving hundreds of teenagers the right to vote.

8 warnings IS a lot, however I think it's nice that you guys have made it so their account is suspended for a year after the seventh warn, as usually after a year I'm sure people can mature and change a lot.

Sal's isn't a democracy, that wouldn't work.

Can you at least make there appeals read only to us.

I think they would be great reading material.

I personally support this new ban system. Although nobody will go over 7 warning, it just might happen! :huh:

Again, I support.