Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
heb0

New Ban System: We Need Your Feedback!

Just a question...

How do you get negative warns?

Thanks

Being helpful and nice to people, generally.

Though it depends heavily on where you post, too. :huh:

How is a system that won't affect too many of us (at least, in the near future anyway) this controversial?

EDIT: This means xrvn/Dwarrior/Gillis/all of them aren't technically banned yet. :huh:

Does this mean that anyone that's at 7 warns will automatically technically be unbanned?

Edited by Mr FANG

I see some flaws with the proposed system of ban reviews. If this rolls out, the banned will make an appeal (in post form) in their own forum stating why they should be allowed to come back. In essence, they are trying to prove that they are more mature and levelheaded than when they were banned.

But can we really decide on a person's maturity based on one post?

If I was to write a persuasive essay for school on a certain stance, I could do it whether I agreed with the stance or not. I could also make myself seem much more mature in that one essay than how mature I actually am when conversing with others.

Banned members can do this too. If the way back into Sal's is to write a mature post, anyone can do it. But is this really a good judge of maturity? For example, look at that whole controversy surrounding Richman/SwaggBaller a little while ago. In the original post, he presented himself in a very calm and levelheaded matter. But as soon as people replied to his thread shooting him down or stating their opinions, he started flaming, flamebaiting, and showing us all that he really wasn't that mature.

My suggestion? Let banned members back in, but monitor their posts for a period of time. This period of time could be anywhere from two weeks to a month, and can be extended if staff sees fit. If they cross a line, they are banned again. If they show that they have improved, we let them stay. By doing this we could truly see if a person has matured and changed. This would also eliminate the need for these appeals, but these two ideas can be used in conjunction as well.

Thoughts?

That's great. If they fake maturity for the rest of their career on sals, then what is the problem?

It's not the person that matters (well, in a way it does), but rather what they do.

I don't believe that the mod team would have a problem with a banned member making a new account and acting mature on it.

@Canadian

By having a positive attitude and contributing to the forum in a positive matter.

@Fang

It concerns all of us.

Actions of others always affect you.

@Fang

It concerns all of us.

Actions of others always affect you.

Explain how a banned member coming back would affect any of us at all :huh: . They spam a bit and get banned again. How would that be any different than a new member randomly coming by to spam?

Just a question...

How do you get negative warns?

Thanks

BRIBES.

im just sayin'.

o and good behaviour doesn't go amiss.

Wait... So, if a person was banned, and we changed the 7 to an 8, wouldn't they be unbanned?

The 7 would remain static. How can you prevent this from happening?

A concerned member,

NekoKoneko

Wait... So, if a person was banned, and we changed the 7 to an 8, wouldn't they be unbanned?

The 7 would remain static. How can you prevent this from happening?

A concerned member,

NekoKoneko

Users aren't automatically put into the Banned Member group upon reaching 7 warns, an admin has to do it. Say a user received 7 warns but wasn't suspended and moved into the Banned Group, they would still be able to post like normal.

Sounds like a good system - what happens if you reach -8?

~Dimos

Instant God status.

Sounds good, when do I start?

Sounds like a good system - what happens if you reach -8?

~Dimos

Instant God status.

Sounds good, when do I start?

I think you'd need a pretty epic bribe for that one.

It's not like how I would have done it, because I think that people evolve. However, it is indeed a good compromise.

So I don't get to hang precariously away from a ban???

Awwww... DO NOT SUPPORT!

(No jk I support just for changes sake)

Edited by Samurai Kenji

I like it, but don't you think this place will be forgotten after a year?

Hopefully. They have had 7 warns so by current terms they are a banned member. We don't want them to wait, we want them to move on and change and hopefully grow up a bit. The 8th warn is an opportunity for the future that the current system doesn't allow.

Which is why I (and many others) said 6 months.

Which is why I (and many others) said 6 months.

Chances are, if they remember us after 6 months or a year, they:

A.) Either desperately want to get back as they know they have done something wrong

B.) Really really really want to flame us.

Obviously, the second option will result on them being banned (again, let's have a no-tolerance policy), and the first option is exactly what we want.

It won't kill us to have a banned member never come back. In some cases, it will actually help us.

I never really saw the problem with the old system that's been around for as long as I've been here iirc.

In general, I don't see any problems with the changes though. Since essentially it remains the same system, just with a possible chance of being unbanned.

A one-year suspension for seven warns? I'm not sure members will remember or want to come back after that time, unless they feel like flametrollwtf-ing. :huh:

I agree, a one year suspension is pointless. I doubt anybody would come back after that.

A one-year suspension for seven warns? I'm not sure members will remember or want to come back after that time, unless they feel like flametrollwtf-ing. :huh:

I agree, a one year suspension is pointless. I doubt anybody would come back after that.

Hopefully. They have had 7 warns so by current terms they are a banned member. We don't want them to wait, we want them to move on and change and hopefully grow up a bit. The 8th warn is an opportunity for the future that the current system doesn't allow.

You know, I've reached 4 warns before and I think we should make it 4, 5, and 6, not 6, 7, and 8. As in, 4 being the 1 month suspension, 5 being 1 year, 6 being perma-ban.

The reason I think this is because we do have a nice system in place that says you can get a warn reduction once a month if you're "good." There's no excuse for getting to 4 warns, because ultimately you've broken 4 rules in under a month, or you can't stop breaking more than one rule a month. While yes, some good people might get suspended, that's a price you pay for not paying attention to what you post. After a one month suspension, if you can't figure out how to stop being offensive you might as well be gone anyways.

I just feel like the current system is far too lenient in that regard, although I love the idea of second chances.

Edited by Graham

People saying that 1 year is too long for 7 warns: you understand that currently 7 years leads to a 1230928374024 year ban, right?

This is essentially a permanent ban. If for some reason they choose to come back in a year they can appeal and try.

People saying that 1 year is too long for 7 warns: you understand that currently 7 years leads to a 1230928374024 year ban, right?

This is essentially a permanent ban. If for some reason they choose to come back in a year they can appeal and try.

7 years of what?

I don't understand that bit

7 years of what?

I don't understand that bit

He meant warns.

7 Warns currently means a permanent ban, so a year or so out is a blessing in comparison.

What about banned members with pruned accounts such as Bluefire?