Sal's RuneScape Forum

A Fully Playable, Retroish-rpg Made By The Sal's Community That You Could Contribute To

Micronblast

i could test what you guys have (as in, test how fun and cool it is) otherwise i wont be much help. not creative, and don't know jack squat about coding or anything like that

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Snip*

Edit: @Easter eggs: Sounds like a good idea, just make sure they're hard to find.

It would be like MW2, in that game, there would be laptops that are lying around that are intel, not necessarily hard to find, but not easy.

Something like that, you could just pick it up, no solving puzzles to get it.

I'm willing to offer my help too, I'm skilled in designing textures for games. :unsure: Previous experiences with several game projects.

That sounds great. Do you happen to have a sample of your work?

My online portfolios:

http://www.prototstar.com

http://www.interlopers.net/portfolios/25121

Current project I am working on:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ww1-source

All the contents in this map are made by me- except for the weapon, howitzer and trench models. This was made in Source Engine.

test0011.th.jpg test0015.th.jpg test0012.th.jpg test0013.th.jpg test0014.th.jpg

Those look really, really good :wub:

Can we name/put stats on weapons? I fail with Java/Paint. Me and my friend attempted this before, basically too much for 2 ppl.

So I'd love to help :mellow:

Yep.

There should be an enchants/enhancements system. Unlocked after a quest. With a boss! :/

Cuz everyone loves high damage

Errr.... maybe. :) I'd like to keep the fancy game mechanics to a minimum.

We (Callum and I, that is) have talked about this, and we think it's a good idea. However, we still have our old project to clean up (and a fair bit of schoolwork), so we might start working on this in a few weeks' time. Thanks for your support guys, the enthusiasm is awesome :huh:

Type:Enemy <- Identifies as an item/NPC/enemy/etc.

Name:Goblin

Graphics:/Graphics/Enemies1.png <- You could just write something like 'The goblin image so-and-so made', and I'll find it

Graphics reference: 2 <- The enemies will all have to be put into groups in the same image so you can put them in on the map editor, this just tells me which one it is on that image

Storyline:ChickenSideQuest <- Every NPC/Enemy can be affiliated with a quest (or none, if it doesn't need a trigger) so that it can trigger events in that quest or change its dialogue

Triggers:Killed=1 <- When the goblin is killed, it sets the trigger (quest progress) to 1

Dialogue:"Hello!" <- Dialogue if not affiliated with trigger state

Dialogue0:"Grunt grunt" <- Dialogue when trigger state (quest progress) is 0

Dialogue1:"Urghhh" <- Dialogue when trigger state is 1

DialogueX:<- Where X is a number: The dialogue for the particular trigger state in that quest line

Stats:Attack=2,Armour=1,Speed=1,MaxHP=20,HP=20,Dodge=1,

Attributes:Humanoid,Small <- Could possibly be used for some kind of special attacks

Abilities: <- Not quite sure how I'll be doing this yet

Notes: <- Anything you want to let me know about this particular creature, like if it requires special AI or something

In which case I'd assume you would have to setup a statbase system for us to follow? Or some enemies would be keying in at 10 attack and others at 100000

Type:Enemy <- Identifies as an item/NPC/enemy/etc.

Name:Goblin

Graphics:/Graphics/Enemies1.png <- You could just write something like 'The goblin image so-and-so made', and I'll find it

Graphics reference: 2 <- The enemies will all have to be put into groups in the same image so you can put them in on the map editor, this just tells me which one it is on that image

Storyline:ChickenSideQuest <- Every NPC/Enemy can be affiliated with a quest (or none, if it doesn't need a trigger) so that it can trigger events in that quest or change its dialogue

Triggers:Killed=1 <- When the goblin is killed, it sets the trigger (quest progress) to 1

Dialogue:"Hello!" <- Dialogue if not affiliated with trigger state

Dialogue0:"Grunt grunt" <- Dialogue when trigger state (quest progress) is 0

Dialogue1:"Urghhh" <- Dialogue when trigger state is 1

DialogueX:<- Where X is a number: The dialogue for the particular trigger state in that quest line

Stats:Attack=2,Armour=1,Speed=1,MaxHP=20,HP=20,Dodge=1,

Attributes:Humanoid,Small <- Could possibly be used for some kind of special attacks

Abilities: <- Not quite sure how I'll be doing this yet

Notes: <- Anything you want to let me know about this particular creature, like if it requires special AI or something

In which case I'd assume you would have to setup a statbase system for us to follow? Or some enemies would be keying in at 10 attack and others at 100000

Basically, yes.

Will it be super mario RPG - esque or will it be more modern?

We could always make an entirely new game out of the SMRPG base using LazyShell.

I haven't ever played that, so I don't know.

Or one could use an RPG Maker XP software.
You could use Game Maker for all you cared.

Honestly, starting fresh is more interesting.

<<<This is coming from a guy who's still trying to figure out how to call graphics in C++ for Epic.

You could, but where's the fun in that? :wizard: I've never seen/used RPG Maker XP, so I'm not sure how much flexibility it gives you, but if we actually make the engine from scratch we are (a) learning (b) giving ourselves options for adding game mechanics. Sal's could do a collab on one of these, I'm sure, but suddenly asking for, say, a weapon upgrade system or a monster with particular behaviour might be harder.

Edit: I googled RPG Maker XP. It looks pretty set in stone as to what you can make with it, very FFish. I think they also charge you for it.

Ok, so what can we modify? What do you have atm? So I can work with stuff :ph34r:

For the moment, we haven't even started yet. As I said, we've still got one rather large game to finish off.

Edited by Micronblast

For the graphics, do you have specific details (templates, sprites, icons). I wouldn't mind messing around any time now really, even if you don't need any yet.

Also I think it would be a good idea for people to work in teams so skills can get passed along to one an-other

For the graphics, do you have specific details (templates, sprites, icons). I wouldn't mind messing around any time now really, even if you don't need any yet.

Also I think it would be a good idea for people to work in teams so skills can get passed along to one an-other

^^^

Totally agree with second part.

Like, there should be a concepts team, graphics team, programming team, blah blah blah.

^^^

Like, there should be a concepts team, graphics team, programming team, blah blah blah.

Well I can easily give you the format we're likely to use, I just can't guarantee it would be the same size in the end and I wouldn't want you working for nothing. Give me 10 minutes and I'll get you a template :unsure:

Teams is the best idea, although I think sorting out all that might need to be done a little later (like when there's actually a game being made rather than dreamt about :huh: ).

Teams I think we'd have:

-Engine and management

-Graphics

-Story

-Character design (i.e. levels, stats, items, you get the idea)

-NPC/Enemy data

Edit:

templatej.png

That's an iso tile 64 wide by 32 high, with a total image height of 128 maximum. All individual terrain tiles (so if you want a specific object, it could be made from several) should fit in there, and if it's going to be a wall or something like that use vertical height. The game will sort out what goes behind what, so you can leave transparencies in there. The player should fit in there. Standard enemies should fit in there. Anything else larger should fit into a multiple of that template.

Of course, those dimensions aren't perfect for a human to fit in or anything. You'll have to make sure everything scales well :mellow:

Edit2:

Don't get too attached to your work. The project won't be starting for a few weeks at least, and that size is what I think we'll be using.

Edited by Micronblast

^^^

Well I can easily give you the format we're likely to use, I just can't guarantee it would be the same size in the end and I wouldn't want you working for nothing. Give me 10 minutes and I'll get you a template :unsure:

Teams is the best idea, although I think sorting out all that might need to be done a little later (like when there's actually a game being made rather than dreamt about :huh: ).

Teams I think we'd have:

-Engine and management

-Graphics

-Story

-NPC/Enemy data

I would like to be in the Graphics and/or character design... ;D

Um this sounds cool i am horrible at art/coding but i can help with pretty much everything else.

off topic: this game will probably need a tutorial and for my easter egg Arkantos will be the name of they guy who guides you trough the tutorial :huh::unsure:

Sounds like a pretty cool idea.

But you're going to need a background and parts of a plot before anyone can start doing anything other than constructing the engine.

Actually, I was hoping to have a nearly finished engine before actually making the game begins. I've got bad, bad memories of starting content before finishing engines :huh:

I edited a post earlier up with standard a graphics template.

Edit: Starting to have omgholycabbageswhathaveigotmyselfinto syndrome. Trying to solve some of the 'kit' aspects of it, and I'm beginning to realise some things like integrating triggers into maps and interactions at the same time without using direct code are ganna be painful :unsure: Then again, it'll be awesome when/if it works :mellow:

Edited by Micronblast

^^^

Teams I think we'd have:

-Engine and management

-Graphics

-Story

-NPC/Enemy data

Edit:

templatej.png

That's an iso tile 64 wide by 32 high, with a total image height of 128 maximum. All individual terrain tiles (so if you want a specific object, it could be made from several) should fit in there, and if it's going to be a wall or something like that use vertical height. The game will sort out what goes behind what, so you can leave transparencies in there. The player should fit in there. Standard enemies should fit in there. Anything else larger should fit into a multiple of that template.

Of course, those dimensions aren't perfect for a human to fit in or anything. You'll have to make sure everything scales well :mellow:

Edit2:

Don't get too attached to your work. The project won't be starting for a few weeks at least, and that size is what I think we'll be using.

Alright. So 128 pixels tall, maximum? Image size like 64x128? Or something like that? I'll try making something.

How many different angles do you want?

Sounds like a pretty cool idea.

But you're going to need a background and parts of a plot before anyone can start doing anything other than constructing the engine.

Actually, I was hoping to have a nearly finished engine before actually making the game begins. I've got bad, bad memories of starting content before finishing engines :huh:

I edited a post earlier up with standard a graphics template.

Edit: Starting to have omgholycabbageswhathaveigotmyselfinto syndrome. Trying to solve some of the 'kit' aspects of it, and I'm beginning to realise some things like integrating triggers into maps and interactions at the same time without using direct code are ganna be painful :unsure: Then again, it'll be awesome when/if it works :mellow:

You could always use memory address references. If character location is equal to the memory address located at X, Y or Z, force it, which would actually allow for some odd pseudo-random events.

Perhaps function calls would be more appropriate?