120 members have voted

1. 1. Sop click yes if you want to play on a server

• Yes
    • Yes
  2. 2. HOW MUCH DO YOU LOVE TUBBY????

• A lot
    • An extreme amount
    • he's my god

Anyone got time for noob Minecraft questions? I'll keep it simple enough...for now. I figured you guys would be gentle with me. :(

I just started playing with version 1.7. If I upgrade to 1.8 or 1.9 will I still be able to keep playing on my current map with the current stuff I've built? It's my understanding I can upgrade to 1.8 via the standard game update, but 1.9 requires a new download, right?

I have only ever played on peaceful mode. It doesn't sound fun to me to be building stuff and have mobs come along and destroy it. Plus, I scare easily. I hope peaceful mode doesn't go away. I know there's a creative mode, but I like finding and collecting the resources too.

Yes, all of your maps will be kept.

Although you might not want to get 1.9; It's a pre-release so it's buggy and incomplete.

Thanks - to the both of you!

Just to clarify - I can update via the "Do you want to update?" when you first start up and I'll only go to 1.8, right? I'll have to download something to get to 1.9? That would be good because I've been afraid I would accidentally upgrade to something I didn't want to.

Yes, 1.9.PRE2 is not an official release. It's a leak. It will not be upgradable to via the menu until it is released for real.

Edited by hot gal6666

Anyone got time for noob Minecraft questions? I'll keep it simple enough...for now. I figured you guys would be gentle with me. :(

I just started playing with version 1.7. If I upgrade to 1.8 or 1.9 will I still be able to keep playing on my current map with the current stuff I've built? It's my understanding I can upgrade to 1.8 via the standard game update, but 1.9 requires a new download, right?

I have only ever played on peaceful mode. It doesn't sound fun to me to be building stuff and have mobs come along and destroy it. Plus, I scare easily. I hope peaceful mode doesn't go away. I know there's a creative mode, but I like finding and collecting the resources too.

Although you might not want to get 1.9; It's a pre-release so it's buggy and incomplete.

Just to clarify - I can update via the "Do you want to update?" when you first start up and I'll only go to 1.8, right? I'll have to download something to get to 1.9? That would be good because I've been afraid I would accidentally upgrade to something I didn't want to.

Just so you know, if you upgrade to 1.8 and continue playing on your old maps, you won't see any new 1.8 things until you explore far enough for chunks to be generated.

Minecraft expert here :( [/ego]

Anyone got time for noob Minecraft questions? I'll keep it simple enough...for now. I figured you guys would be gentle with me. :D

No matter what you do you will keep your map file unless you somehow mutilate all your minecraft files, although lets say Notch adds something new to the game. Say some kind of tree. That tree will not generate in areas you have already explored, but if you explore new areas of the map that you've never gone in, it will be there. So just keep that in mind. :D

Do not worry, peaceful mode will never go away. :D

Anyone got time for noob Minecraft questions? I'll keep it simple enough...for now. I figured you guys would be gentle with me. :P

Currently when a new update is out when you open up your Minecraft it will ask you to update if you want. You can hit no if you don't want that update.

Currently 1.9 is in a beta-beta state, meaning that update is not officially released. Notch released it so people could test it and report bugs back. Once the update is officially released, the game will then ask if you want to update or not.

If you have any other questions you can also visit the Minecraft wiki. :D

Hope I helped!

And if none of this makes sense then just ignore it, play the game how you want to play it. :D

Edited by Admiral

do u want my building advice?? sum say im purdy good at it.

Others say to KILL IT WITH LAVA.

I think I've got Bukkit, WorldEdit and WorldGuard up on my server, I'm yet to restart it and check though.

I was going to say something but I forgot :D

Oh

I think it was something like

Admiral Get on gahcraft so I can build EOA with uuuuu

EDIT: Would anyone be interested in a competition? Such as who can build the best castle in a week? (And of course, Beret can't enter just to make it fair :()

Edited by LonelyWolf

WEll, gahcraft got griefed again.

Someone needs to log on, goto spawn, and undo everything.

(it wasnt me)

Is it me or is minecraft getting a bit too complex? There are already a lot of items, and though I welcome new ones, aren't potions a bit much? Maybe not.

Edited by reepicheep

Is it me or is minecraft getting a bit too complex? There are already a lot of items, and though I welcome new ones, aren't potions a bit much? Maybe not.

That is exactly why I haven't been liking many of the updates.

That is exactly why I haven't been liking many of the updates.

even tho i was a hater at first..

ive never had so much fun in minecraft!

I made a creative world, got diamond stuff and a lot of arrows, waited til night and pwned.

You say you hate them but then you love them.

I don't know why, but I really don't enjoy having to walk miles to get my stuff. And abandoned mineshafts are too common but they're the only way to get melon seeds, they're a mess, ravines look good but are also messy and make it too easy to find the bottom, boohoo.

/Whine Over.

Anyway, check out this cool castle website on reddit. It's lego based, so it has curves, but other than that most of the builds should be good for putting into minecraft. I'm gonna build newcastle at some point.

http://www.carneycastle.com/

I don't know why, but I really don't enjoy having to walk miles to get my stuff. And abandoned mineshafts are too common but they're the only way to get melon seeds, they're a mess, ravines look good but are also messy and make it too easy to find the bottom, boohoo.

/Whine Over.

Anyway, check out this cool castle website on reddit. It's lego based, so it has curves, but other than that most of the builds should be good for putting into minecraft. I'm gonna build newcastle at some point.

http://www.carneycastle.com/

Mineshafts aren't that common anymore.

And you're supposed to see the bottom of ravines, otherwise it wouldn't really be a ravine. :(

My point about ravines was that, while a nice idea that looked great in screenshots and so on, they slightly spoil rather quite a key element of gameplay-getting to the bottom of the world. They also make a mess of lots of systems like mineshafts and caves because they simply cut between-particularly with mineshafts this leaves a floating mess of wood and timber.

Of course, abandoned mineshafts and ravines together expose a ton of ore, which cheapens those materials and in a sense spoils a little of the fun of mining-I'd much rather be in a cave than a ravine.

My point about ravines was that, while a nice idea that looked great in screenshots and so on, they slightly spoil rather quite a key element of gameplay-getting to the bottom of the world. They also make a mess of lots of systems like mineshafts and caves because they simply cut between-particularly with mineshafts this leaves a floating mess of wood and timber.

Of course, abandoned mineshafts and ravines together expose a ton of ore, which cheapens those materials and in a sense spoils a little of the fun of mining-I'd much rather be in a cave than a ravine.

Well then, quit whining and go mining in caves. Problem solved.

I just wish we could have a fully advanced world generator where we got to choose frequency of things like mineshafts, ravines, caves, minerals, specific biomes, villages, and so on.

Helm speaks the truth.

Because of the abandon mineshafts and ravines, I have 5 stacks of iron on one of my worlds... oh... and 2 stacks of diamonds...

It kinda makes getting those things less of an achievement.

I just wish we could have a fully advanced world generator where we got to choose frequency of things like mineshafts, ravines, caves, minerals, specific biomes, villages, and so on.

You'll probably find a mod for specifics. Or you could go request one.

Helm speaks the truth.

Because of the abandon mineshafts and ravines, I have 5 stacks of iron on one of my worlds... oh... and 2 stacks of diamonds...

It kinda makes getting those things less of an achievement.

Like I said, quit whining and don't mine in those. It's only less of an achievement because you're too lazy to do anything about it, and would rather have the easy path with less satisfaction than the hard road with more accomplishments.

Edited by Kemosabe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.