Sal's RuneScape Forum
Hyrax

Music Recommendations Thread

He can play the piano to some extent. At least he knows something about music than those other hip hop bboys.

Protest the Hero are pretty good with some fairly technical riffage. Limb from Limb or Sequoia Throne. :huh:

Don't expect to many people to know anything about prog here though. Most of everyone is an alternative/mainstream rock fan.

Edited by cjgone

I am currently listening to Change by Carrie Underwood. Her whole Play On album is great.

To anyone who likes Linkin Park

Linkin Park recently ran a competition for people to make a version of their first single from their album 1000 suns which is coming out in september, the version of the song will also feature on the album.

The winner getting chosen

I think the song is only on their Myspace and I don't use myspace

Unfortunately it was there worst song ever :huh:

I smell a comeback :unsure:

Protest the Hero are pretty good with some fairly technical riffage. Limb from Limb or Sequoia Throne. :huh:

Don't expect to many people to know anything about prog here though. Most of everyone is an alternative/mainstream rock fan.

Can't say I know much about it (in that I'm not all that musically-knowledgeable), but I do like Technical/Extreme Prog and Progressive Metal, as well as some Symphonic and Folk. Any recommendations (that aren't Dream Theater :unsure:)?

Linkin Park recently ran a competition for people to make a version of their first single from their album 1000 suns which is coming out in september, the version of the song will also feature on the album.

I heard it on the medal of honor trailer and agree it is one of there worst songs, then again I am one of those people who want's an album like hybrid theory or at the very least meteora

Can't say I know much about it (in that I'm not all that musically-knowledgeable), but I do like Technical/Extreme Prog and Progressive Metal, as well as some Symphonic and Folk. Any recommendations (that aren't Dream Theater :huh: )?

Do you listen to any 1970s symphonic prog rock? ;d

Been too distracted with Animals As Leaders lately

I'm loving this jazz-prog metal fusion, it's sexy.

Yeah, I love proggy- jazz influenced music. :DD

Check out this pretty sick prog instrumental, i'm sure you'll like it if you like AAL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzZUFYzPis

ridic bass guitar, and piano soloss.

Edited by cjgone

Yeah, I love proggy- jazz influenced music. :DD

Check out this pretty sick prog instrumental, i'm sure you'll like it if you like AAL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzZUFYzPis

ridic bass guitar, and piano soloss.

That sounded really good. Into my iPod it goes!

I heard it on the medal of honor trailer and agree it is one of there worst songs, then again I am one of those people who want's an album like hybrid theory or at the very least meteora

I can say that Hybrid Theory was really awesome, used to listen to it like everyday back a while ago. I just listened to their new song "The Catalyst" and, not gonna lie, sounded really bad. It was autotuned or vocoded or something, and really boring synth.

After MTM, which was also very mediocre, another "in the end" will never happen again i'm going to guess. I mean where the hell did Shinoda go? This alt rock bs is annoying, atleast they had something going for them on Hybrid Theory..

skills. I do need to get into classical sometime, I just don't know where to start.

Edited by cjgone

Can't say I know much about it (in that I'm not all that musically-knowledgeable), but I do like Technical/Extreme Prog and Progressive Metal, as well as some Symphonic and Folk. Any recommendations (that aren't Dream Theater :mellow: )?

I'd always skipped over Kansas whenever I came to them (no particular reason, just did :/), but after listening to that I can see it was definitely a big mistake. :wub: I'm gonna have to download some of their albums.

And I listen to some Genesis of course (Supper's Ready is an amazing song :unsure:). Yes as well, though the only album of theirs I've heard so far is Close to the Edge. Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison by Harmonium is one of my favorites as well.

Can't think of much more off the top of my head. I listened to Mirage by Camel a while back, but wasn't a big fan for some reason. I have some Van Def Graaf Generator on my "need to listen to list" (though I think they might be eclectic prog instead of syphonic :huh:) but they keep getting pushed back down the list because I'm hung up on Premiata Forneria Marconi and GY!BE at the moment. :)

Edited by heb0

I almost feel like we should make music recommendation topics for different genres. I have nothing to contribute to this conversation right now!

I almost feel like we should make music recommendation topics for different genres. I have nothing to contribute to this conversation right now!

So why post? :huh:

I like having it all in one thread, that way it would stay alive. Whereas if you made different threads for Metal and Indie, they both would die pretty quickly.

So why post? :huh:

I like having it all in one thread, that way it would stay alive. Whereas if you made different threads for Metal and Indie, they both would die pretty quickly.

But I want some good rock.

Well obviously this topic could survive as a Metal only topic! It's happening now!

I mean i guess you're right. haha I had that Indie music topic before when I first joined.

That died at about 2 or 3 pages, but then again I didn't post in it really myself and try to keep it alive. :huh:

Ignore my posts! Keep on your music conversations! Hah, sorry.

You've all heard this.

Losing My Religion - REM

Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

FRESH PRINCE OF BELL AIR WILL SMITH. This is the story all about how

Losing My Religion is a great song. R.E.M. is an amazing band.

Can't say I know much about it (in that I'm not all that musically-knowledgeable), but I do like Technical/Extreme Prog and Progressive Metal, as well as some Symphonic and Folk. Any recommendations (that aren't Dream Theater :wub: )?

I'd always skipped over Kansas whenever I came to them (no particular reason, just did :wub: ), but after listening to that I can see it was definitely a big mistake. :P I'm gonna have to download some of their albums.

And I listen to some Genesis of course (Supper's Ready is an amazing song :unsure: ). Yes as well, though the only album of theirs I've heard so far is Close to the Edge. Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison by Harmonium is one of my favorites as well.

Can't think of much more off the top of my head. I listened to Mirage by Camel a while back, but wasn't a big fan for some reason. I have some Van Def Graaf Generator on my "need to listen to list" (though I think they might be eclectic prog instead of syphonic :huh: ) but they keep getting pushed back down the list because I'm hung up on Premiata Forneria Marconi and GY!BE at the moment. :P

You didn't like Mirage? That's my favorite prog album atm. :mellow: And I love Close to the Edge by Yes too. :/ Haven't gotten into to much VDGG, but I listen to some of their stuff occasionally and i've always wanted to get around to Genesis, but I hate the idea of referring to the band when now they're just mainstream pop-rock.

I've been listening to King Crimson, [Emerson, Lake and Palmer], and Pink Floyd quite a bit lately. :wub:

What extreme prog do you listen to? Any technical death?

Well obviously this topic could survive as a Metal only topic! It's happening now!

I mean i guess you're right. haha I had that Indie music topic before when I first joined.

That died at about 2 or 3 pages, but then again I didn't post in it really myself and try to keep it alive.

Ignore my posts! Keep on your music conversations! Hah, sorry.

Prog rock isn't metal. Maybe you should diversify your musical tastes, ehhh? :)

Edited by cjgone

Can't say I know much about it (in that I'm not all that musically-knowledgeable), but I do like Technical/Extreme Prog and Progressive Metal, as well as some Symphonic and Folk. Any recommendations (that aren't Dream Theater :wub: )?

I'd always skipped over Kansas whenever I came to them (no particular reason, just did :P ), but after listening to that I can see it was definitely a big mistake. :P I'm gonna have to download some of their albums.

And I listen to some Genesis of course (Supper's Ready is an amazing song :/ ). Yes as well, though the only album of theirs I've heard so far is Close to the Edge. Si On Avait Besoin D'Une Cinquième Saison by Harmonium is one of my favorites as well.

Can't think of much more off the top of my head. I listened to Mirage by Camel a while back, but wasn't a big fan for some reason. I have some Van Def Graaf Generator on my "need to listen to list" (though I think they might be eclectic prog instead of syphonic :huh: ) but they keep getting pushed back down the list because I'm hung up on Premiata Forneria Marconi and GY!BE at the moment. :P

You didn't like Mirage? That's my favorite prog album atm. :wub: And I love Close to the Edge by Yes too. :) Haven't gotten into to much VDGG, but I listen to some of their stuff occasionally and i've always wanted to get around to Genesis, but I hate the idea of referring to the band when now they're just mainstream pop-rock.

I've been listening to King Crimson, [Emerson, Lake and Palmer], and Pink Floyd quite a bit lately. :wub:

What extreme prog do you listen to? Any technical death?

Never got into Mirage. I might come back to it later on and see if I change my mind, but the first couple listens didn't do anything for me. :D

I definitely recommend Genesis. I haven't listened to any of their later stuff, so I don't know whether I would like what they turned into or not, but Selling England By The Pound and Foxtrot are great albums. Selling England By The Pound is rated higher, but I've always preferred Foxtrot.

I've only listed to In The Court Of The Crimson King so far from King Crimson (I actually listed to it a long time ago, but never got to their other stuff), but it was epic (except Moonchild ... bleh :mellow:)

Tech/Extreme Prog I listen to (also some Experimental/Post metal thrown in there, I think :D I'm not the best with discerning between genres):

Opeth

Mastodon (though they wear on me after a while)

Between The Buried And Me

Devin Townsend

Maudlin of the Well

I don't think any of that is considered technical death. :unsure:

Also, do you listen to Jethro Tull?

Auto-tune is what's ruining today's music. It's an industry standard now, so it's logical to assume that music will continously go down hill from probably the best era of music in the 1970s-1980s..

Auto-tune used right is great.

I like Mastodon too! :huh:

Also, cjgone, I listened to Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me. It was really good. I'll be sure to delve deeper into them.

I like Mastodon too! :unsure:

Also, cjgone, I listened to Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me. It was really good. I'll be sure to delve deeper into them.

Auto-tune is what's ruining today's music. It's an industry standard now, so it's logical to assume that music will continously go down hill from probably the best era of music in the 1970s-1980s..

Auto-tune used right is great.

Not really for me but much better than what I usually associate with autotune like lil wayne and tpain both of who have really annoying voices increased by autotune

After watching La Vie en Rose in French class and then seeing Inception I've fallen in love with Edith Piaf's music, definately reccomend Non Je Ne Regrette Rien and La Vie en Rose as songs to listen to get you into her.

As