Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Salmoneus

Wilderness And Free Trade Interview!

With the announcement of the upcoming return of the old Wilderness and Free Trade system, Jagex offered us an interview with the Content Team behind the update. We asked all members of our community to submit their questions, and today we received the completed interview! A huge thanks goes to the Content Team for taking the time to answer our questions, and to everyone who took part in posting their questions for this interview!

Enjoy! :D

How do you think that this will affect the game in the short and long runs? Are there concerns about the return of real-world trading that prompted the changes in the first place? If so, will you stand by the return of the Wilderness and Free trade or will you make changes as necessary to prevent RWT? – The Darkest

In the short term we are preparing for a surge in players as the Wilderness and Free Trade is obviously very popular and the Referendum has shown that. It’s been nice to see a lot of old faces are back but also players who’ve never experienced it get excited as well. From day one and in the longer term we will be closely monitoring and stepping up our efforts regarding RWT and botting to give you the best possible game experience.

Will areas that were removed from the wilderness to make room for the crater and clan wars be put back? – Sleepy

The crater will remain as it’s currently a training area with its current selection of creatures. The Clan Wars waiting area will be converted to the Boneyard or a close approximation of but the Clan Wars game area will remain.

Will we be seeing the Revenants anywhere else? They have an interesting story and I'm sure lots of players would like to see some expansion on that. Do you have any future plans, maybe a quest for Revenants? This would make sense as the Head Mystic at Stealing Creation says that he can communicate with the Revenants. – Samsara

The Revenants are moving to a PvP enabled dungeon within the Wilderness and they’ll drop the PvP items and various statues. They’ll no longer cast teleblock or freeze but will still create a bit of havoc.

When did you actually start planning the vote and start working on the return of wilderness? - Jacky

Planning the vote started in early December after discussions about new ways of combating bots and real-world trading. Having investigated whether it could be brought back or not we decided to give you the decision of whether or not it should come back. Actual work to return Free Trade and the Wilderness began started when the vote closed and the decision was taken to bring it back because of your overwhelming support for it.

It was claimed that the target mechanic might see use in a different aspect of the game. Can you give more detail? – PaladinPker

Whilst our initial aim is to put the Wilderness back close to how it was, we see no reason why the target mechanic couldn’t be added either to the Wilderness in some way at a later stage or to another part of the game as it’s quite fun to hunt down your enemy and do battle!

Had the wilderness not been changed in the first place and it were just free trade, where do you think such things as Fist of Guthix/Questlines/Stealing Creation/Wilderness Volcano would've been instead, and would Bounty Hunter have even existed (from the Volcano craters and eventually the entire worlds)? Mr FANG

A lot of the content in the last three years was aimed at replacing the Wilderness and the huge variety of game play it offered. I’m sure a lot of the content would have still been developed because it’s exciting. I’d imagine it would either have been located on new lands like Soul Wars or possibly extending the land as we have done with Daemonheim and various other updates in the past. Clan Wars and Bounty hunter certainly required a fair amount of space and it wouldn’t have been possible to fit them into the existing map!

Will every world become a Wilderness world? – Kesthetic

The Wilderness will return on all worlds, and as a bonus a small number of worlds will be extra dangerous! These extra dangerous worlds will disable the protect item prayer and curse in the wilderness area, for those who don’t like the 1-itemers.

What weapons, items, etc. won't be allowed in the wilderness, if any? – Birthday

The only thing I can think of that won’t be allowed in the Wilderness is the boost effects from the more recent herblore potions. These will behave as though you’ve just sipped on the super equivalent. Lent Items are not allowed in at all, and will be put in your bank/inventory or returned to the owner depending on inventory space.

Will penguins from the Penguin Hide n Seek Distraction & Diversion still roam in the Wilderness? – Samsara

Penguins (1 or 2 a week maximum) will still be located in the Wilderness along with some other Distractions and Diversions like the Shooting Star and the Beacon Network.

What will happen to untradeables? If I kill someone in chaotic + void + fire cape + barrows gloves, what do I get? Will there be a cash value? – PaladinPker

One of three things will happen to untradeables: Some objects will vanish, some will drop cash instead like the anchor and will now include Korasi’s sword. Finally other items will drop a tradable equivalent (like Summoning headgear that’s been enchanted would drop an un-enchanted version. Most popular untradeable PvP equiement will not vanish.

Edited by heb0

Ahh, disappointing to see my question wasn't up there. I would've liked to see a response to that.

Anyways, an interesting interview. Sadly enough most of the answers were just telling us what we already knew.

I wanted some worlds to remain entirely PvP across the board. :D

Requesting permission to repost this on my clan's website Sal sir! so they can be informed.

If you could link to this topic on your clan website, that would be great. :D

Ahh, disappointing to see my question wasn't up there. I would've liked to see a response to that.

Anyways, an interesting interview. Sadly enough most of the answers were just telling us what we already knew.

I sent in most of the unique questions posted in the topic (about 30), but because they had interviews from all 5 platinum fansites this time, they had to be more selective of the questions they answered.

Pretty interesting how they've only being working on this update for almost 3 weeks, I would've thought they would plan it a bit more :D

Pretty interesting how they've only being working on this update for almost 3 weeks, I would've thought they would plan it a bit more :D

This idea would've occured at JaGex's daily coffee breaks that almost half the staff was there and agreed.

Good answers/questions. Very nice to see how much planning has gone into this even if it has been 3 weeks since they decided to do it :(

Yay, my question was answered. I agree with Kemo, it's too bad most of the info given here was already given in the RSOF thread.

Interesting interview. Nice questions guys. :(

I'm more excited for the return of FT and Wilderness more than ever now. :D

Nice my question answered. Nice read. :D Hope Wilderness doesn't come out glitched.

I didn't really feel he answered the last question very well. I for one would definitely like a specific Chaotics and Void Answer.

It's likely void will dissapear as it used to, no idea about chaotics but I can imagine maybe being converted to 2m, as the recharge fee

It's a shame this came out after the general FAQ as most of the questions had been answered, but now to find the other 4 websites....

Nice questions, everyone. Seems kind of interesting, although I myself am not a supporter.

Well, only of free trade.

Just a few more days! I can't wait! :D

phpAOYjRRPM.jpg

-Zurbun

Edited by Zurbun