Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Exile

Has Pking Lost It's Integrity?

I think every aspect of the game has lost its integrity. It's no hidden fact that the community has been at the peak of immaturity for a while now. PKing brought high tensions and large risks, and in turn the immaturity became more prevalent.

I swear, it's hard to spend five minutes in any PK world without hearing the following phrases:

• def noob
  • pray noob
  • str noob
  • safer
  • eater
  • arm noob
  • kid
  • smiley face (or some variant of that to bypass the censor)
  • no skill
  • nolife
  • noob

• nerd

• u suck

• feg

Please tell me if I've omitted anything. The entire community is raft with incomprehensible, meaningless phrases of which there's no intelligent reply too, just more meaningless phrases. Let's liken it to the community as a virus and PKing as AIDS.

Added some for you.

I can never remember a time when RS wasn't like that! I talk in the cc, and there are nice people out there, but they're quiet and suprisingly large in number. Anyway, every bit of crap that comes out of my opponents mouse is another thing distracting them from clicking there sharks

I agree with this. I would consider myself one of these people, I've gone 40 mins out of my way to get a guy full mith. We're too frightened (not the right word) to speak because all we'll get is crap about how we suck or how someone is having relations with our mother.

The PK community had integrity? :D

Call me style-ist if you want, but I have met exactly two people who identified themselves as primarily PKers who were even moderately bearable to talk with. The rest of 'em were rude, arrogant, snobby, snooty, and a bunch of similar adjectives. Yay, the wilderness is coming back! All it means to me is that the old community of unpleasant people that went their separate ways after the wilderness was removed will be coming back. Oh joy.

Short answer: PKing has not lost its integrity as the vast majority of PKers never had any in the first place.

Not pure PKers. But PKers in general. Back when people Pked on their main, so that wasn't their only nor their main intention for the account.

I think every aspect of the game has lost its integrity. It's no hidden fact that the community has been at the peak of immaturity for a while now. PKing brought high tensions and large risks, and in turn the immaturity became more prevalent.

I swear, it's hard to spend five minutes in any PK world without hearing the following phrases:

• def noob
  • pray noob
  • str noob
  • safer
  • eater
  • arm noob
  • kid
  • smiley face (or some variant of that to bypass the censor)
  • no skill
  • nolife
  • noob

• nerd

• u suck

• feg

Please tell me if I've omitted anything. The entire community is raft with incomprehensible, meaningless phrases of which there's no intelligent reply too, just more meaningless phrases. Let's liken it to the community as a virus and PKing as AIDS.

Added some for you.

I can never remember a time when RS wasn't like that! I talk in the cc, and there are nice people out there, but they're quiet and suprisingly large in number. Anyway, every bit of crap that comes out of my opponents mouse is another thing distracting them from clicking there sharks

I agree with this. I would consider myself one of these people, I've gone 40 mins out of my way to get a guy full mith. We're too frightened (not the right word) to speak because all we'll get is crap about how we suck or how someone is having relations with our mother.

Agreed. It's difficult to find those people out there. But *most* of them don't come on forums.

yep its gonna come back. if you high level pk, cause most of them high levels (mains) are respectable pkers. the best pking battle i ever had was like 117 something

LOL, the whole "asking before fighting so we can have a fair clean fight" that i find perhaps the most silly. I've never met a single respectable pker in runescape, most of them end out being 11 year olds. I don't pk, i think a system where luck has more to do with it than levels is silly. However, log onto WoW, hit 70, visit Northrend... See if a horde will ask you if you're ready to get pwned? Ganking is what makes PvP fun, always has been always will be.

as with all topcis like this, when old wildy was around you were probably the younger generation playing rs now that your considered the somewhat older generation you view the new kids as having "less integrity"

basically the game is the same, your just older

/topic

LOL, the whole "asking before fighting so we can have a fair clean fight" that i find perhaps the most silly. I've never met a single respectable pker in runescape, most of them end out being 11 year olds. I don't pk, i think a system where luck has more to do with it than levels is silly. However, log onto WoW, hit 70, visit Northrend... See if a horde will ask you if you're ready to get pwned? Ganking is what makes PvP fun, always has been always will be.

Well to be fair, a Horde can't 'ask' you anything. Well, they can, but Alliance can't understand Orcish. And Horde HAVE to send their little undead rogues to gank because they know they can't take you on toe-to-toe.

Then again, my opinion might be biased, I played on an RP-PVP server and personally, I found the most fun PvP to be guild-on-guild World PvP. Horde might own Wintergrasp, but they couldn't touch Varian Wrynn. :D

Call me style-ist if you want, but I have met exactly two people who identified themselves as primarily PKers who were even moderately bearable to talk with. The rest of 'em were rude, arrogant, snobby, snooty, and a bunch of similar adjectives. Yay, the wilderness is coming back! All it means to me is that the old community of unpleasant people that went their separate ways after the wilderness was removed will be coming back. Oh joy.

Short answer: PKing has not lost its integrity as the vast majority of PKers never had any in the first place.

:(

I'm going to assume you avoid Sal's PvP section for that reason :D

Agreed with the RS parts. Others.. O.o

Games are for YOUR enjoyment, they don't wanna spend a day making money

Also, it's the wilderness, why would I need to ask.

If you were looking for a place to have a gentlemen's fight then go to the duel arena. I don't understand the concept of asking to fight someone in an area that is supposed to be dangerous.

If you were looking for a place to have a gentlemen's fight then go to the duel arena. I don't understand the concept of asking to fight someone in an area that is supposed to be dangerous.

This was during the time before f2p had a duel arena.

Those were strange times...

Pft. Last I remember before the wildy became Revnant Zone it was just as full of immature jackasses as is is now. Nothing's changed. It's gone back to the way it was.

The Duel Arena is for gentleman's fights.

In regards to fair fights, if anything the old wildy was the opposite. People didn't start praying the moment you attacked them without asking first, that's only Edgeville kind of stuff. I know a lot of castle pkers back then who just attacked eachother, back when I still f2p pked as a pure f2per I recalled even just sitting back and having relaxed conversations with people there when I was suddenly attacked. Nobody would jump in sayin 'let him pot' or stuff like that, it was accepted as common place. Though there were definitely people who did occasionally act like that.

The whole asking for fights thing seemed to be something more from the recent bounty hunter worlds / pvp worlds (though old school edge did have those kind of people as well)

There were just as many immature people, 'recently' when I was pking in a bounty hunter world I recall sitting back and having a relaxed conversation with a guy who I had just killed and who came back. He even helped me when later two guys tried to tag me. For every good person in runescape, there are many times the degenerates. This accounts for everything: inside the wildy, while dungeoneering, while slaying and even while skilling.

This is the way RuneScape has always been and likely the way it'll remain for as long as it exists.

When the old wilderness was around (this was years ago I'm talking about), the PKing community of RuneScape was a decent group of people.

Huh, no not really it has always been the way it is now. :D

At least I don't remember fighting many polite and decent PKers, sure there were a few exceptions just like now you can still fight polite PKers.

First, we asked "dm?" or "fight?" before we attacked someone. We wanted to make sure that they were ready, and that we would have a fun, clean, fair fight.

Actually I don't remember ever being asked for DMs or fights in the old Wilderness, they way to start a fight was to rush someone or get rushed. I'm pretty sure people only started asking for DMs and fights before attacking in the BH era.

Also, people actually dm'ed. Too many times in RuneScape now a-days, I will ask someone "dm?" to get a response of "sure" or "yes", inevitably having them flee to the bank a few minutes into the fight.

No offense but I'm starting to think we've not been playing the same game, people used to run (and teleport) way more often in the old Wilderness.

We also pinned our best accounts against each other, our mains. This was more fun because the stats were balanced, so it was a real fight, and fun to see range beat mage, mage beat melee, ect. Now we have these pures who are completely unbalance,d and it has just made PKing less enjoyable.

Meh not really a problem since there are not many pures who would dare to attack my nearly maxed account, and even when I was level 70-90 I used to kill pures a lot more often than they killed me. Maybe I'm just lucky I guess.

Out of all the PKers I knew and met, the decent one's were a small minority. If anything I think the RS Community has improved with the removal of the wilderness, now it's returning I expect so to the return of insults and petty arguments.

^

This pretty much. PKing community is still the same things haven't changed much, just new insults and new reasons to complain and run and of course new weapons/spells/potions etc etc.

From my experiences (both in oiginal PvP wildy and new PvP wildy) PKers were, and still are, mostly a bunch of cowardly scum who mouth off at you.

My trips to PvP worlds inevitably end up with either my opponents chickening out, harrassing me because I didn't want to fight a noob pure, or killing me while I was part of a wildy parade wearing nothing apart from bronze.

You can't even trust your own friends in PvP, a couple of mine have been pj'ed by their friends already :|

From my experiences (both in oiginal PvP wildy and new PvP wildy) PKers were, and still are, mostly a bunch of cowardly scum who mouth off at you.

My trips to PvP worlds inevitably end up with either my opponents chickening out, harrassing me because I didn't want to fight a noob pure, or killing me while I was part of a wildy parade wearing nothing apart from bronze.

You can't even trust your own friends in PvP, a couple of mine have been pj'ed by their friends already :|

I've been rushed countless of times, and destroyed them and made them run.

No honor...

Dont want to offend you, but I think its such a stupid thing to ask if they want to fight before starting a fight. I mean you kill them to loot your stuff and make money. If you want honourable "duels" we have the duel arena for that. The idea of wilderness is not duels, Its dirty fighting, thats why you can't chose the rules before fighting.

People used to run from fights, they are still running from fights, and they will keep running from fights in the future. No one is stupid enough to stay in a fight they will clearly lose and lose the stuff which they value. If you have a problem with this, there are spells like ancient magic, teleblock and entangle. These all prevent people from running.

Though I have never been much into pk'in, I have been to the wildy a few times before the update. Most of them I got suprise attacked, the opponent swore as I ran away and I got killed totally unprepared.

Nothing has changed....

Actually, I agree with you completely!

What has changed in the wilderness?

You can attack people in the wildy every world. But people will always go to w57 or w1 to pk, since 57 is the "high-risk world" and 1 is just the famous f2p world :D

Seriously, what have the people been whining about?

Dont want to offend you, but I think its such a stupid thing to ask if they want to fight before starting a fight. I mean you kill them to loot your stuff and make money. If you want honourable "duels" we have the duel arena for that. The idea of wilderness is not duels, Its dirty fighting, thats why you can't chose the rules before fighting.

People used to run from fights, they are still running from fights, and they will keep running from fights in the future. No one is stupid enough to stay in a fight they will clearly lose and lose the stuff which they value. If you have a problem with this, there are spells like ancient magic, teleblock and entangle. These all prevent people from running.

Though I have never been much into pk'in, I have been to the wildy a few times before the update. Most of them I got suprise attacked, the opponent swore as I ran away and I got killed totally unprepared.

Nothing has changed....

This.

Seriously, the wilderness is meant to be, dare I say it, wild. You're not supposed to have rules and limitations in how you fight, it's kill or be killed. That's it. So long as people aren't bug abusing, anything goes.

If you want a fair, honourable fight, you should really check out the duel arena. For duels. Make sense?

Pking had integrity in the first place? Oo

No not really, at least since I started playing.

The idea of having honor in the wilderness is absolutely ridiculous. I usually ask for fights before attacking and I always say 'good fight' even if I lose and there are a few players that do the same, I suppose you could call it respect, I treat other's the way I want to be treated and that's why I don't PJ, rush, run/teleport (unless my opponent is 'cheating' as in safing or being helped by a friend) or attack accounts much weaker than mine because I know it sucks being PJed/rushed/etc, but when people PJ me or rush me or do any of things things I mentioned I don't complain because that's how things are supposed to be in the wilderness.

The idea of having honor in the wilderness is absolutely ridiculous. I usually ask for fights before attacking and I always say 'good fight' even if I lose and there are a few players that do the same, I suppose you could call it respect, I treat other's the way I want to be treated and that's why I don't PJ, rush, run/teleport (unless my opponent is 'cheating' as in safing or being helped by a friend) or attack accounts much weaker than mine because I know it sucks being PJed/rushed/etc, but when people PJ me or rush me or do any of things things I mentioned I don't complain because that's how things are supposed to be in the wilderness.

This. +1 my good man

Pking has never had integrity. Your goal is to kill other players and people play dirty. Never has been a "good" environment and never will.

Nothing has changed....

This.

Seriously, the wilderness is meant to be, dare I say it, wild. You're not supposed to have rules and limitations in how you fight, it's kill or be killed. That's it. So long as people aren't bug abusing, anything goes.

If you want a fair, honourable fight, you should really check out the duel arena. For duels. Make sense?

Have you both been missing the posts saying "There was no F2P duel arena"?

Pkers are little babies, then. They have to rely on how they've built their account, not coming back over and over to fight a fight they've lost. It's annoying. And, I agree with the person I've quoted before. You have a bunch of 12 year olds running around in the wild attacking out of the blue when the integrity of pking was what I mentioned to begin this post. You must not have been playing enough to see it, but it was there. Fair fights are what makes the game fun, pinning your skills against the next to see which has built their account better. Honorably admitting defeat and dying because your account was worse. It's the way to play which is "I'm not poor and I have some honor and integrity within myself to stay and finish this fight." This is what they did in the olden days and, what's this game based on? Oh yeah, the olden days.

No Exile people were playing enough back then. (I actually spent most of my time from 80-98 f2p cmb in the wild either training or pking)

You're just looking at it through some rose tinted nostalgia glasses.

Edit: Also, you appear to not have been paying much attention to history classes. Because the olden days were not as pretty as you're making them out to be.

Edited by Rene