Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fabis

Workout At The Gym

My friends bought a subscription to the gym and I'm thinking about going with them, mostly because I'm really skinny (about 55kg, but I have a very fast metabolism so it's not my fault, really) and would like to get healthier :(

Anyways I've never been to a gym before so I have a few questions about them.

1. How does exercising at gyms really work? You think of a routine and you repeat it every time you go there, or you just go there and think of what to do on the spot?

2. As I said before, I'm skinny so what should I start out with? I don't want to look like an ass, trying to do something i can't do :D

3. What should I do there?

What a lot of regulars do, is keep an amount of reps. They either write down how many reps they do and things, or they just remember it in their head. For instance, if you are training with weights you might do a certain amount of sets and reps on one thing, take a break then move on to something else. For instance you could do 4 sets that contain 20 reps each on dumbbells. In between those sets you might take a break. Doing it that way, gives everyone a chance to use everything because you are keeping a nice routine, especially helpful if the gym is full of people or not very big.

If you don't know the gym, you aren't going to know what is there unless you have checked it out! But they'll probably have your standard gym equipment.

• Bikes
  • Crosstrainers
  • Treadmills
  • Rowing Machines

• Dumbbells
  • Barbells
  • Multigyms

Most of the weight lifting will have different weights for you to add or take away. You can make it heavier and lighter so don't worry about having to pick up something you cant. Also, it's not so much about the heavier the weight, a lot of people take a lighter weight that they can do fairly easily and do more reps with them. Because obviously the more pressure you give yourself the less reps you can achieve and the less time you'll be at the gym.

If I were you, skinny and trying to build up I'd consider my diet. Your going to need carbs to work up your body, even with a fast metabolism. Pasta is what most people would go for, you could also try those shakes as well. I tried using the shakes and stuff but to be honest, my bowels just were not up for it. That's the biggest way to build up energy to burn off/tone at the gym.

I'd consider using a bike or treadmill for toning your legs, there is also the rowing machine which can hit your arms legs and parts of your stomach. When I go to my gym, there are specific weights for my legs that I use constantly. You just need to find what you prefer more I guess. I use the weights in the gym because I love the pressure and getting the feeling that my legs are exploding, that's a real burn! For your arms there are usually some cabled weights you could use. What you need to think about is that you will want to be toning different parts of your body. You can't use one thing and get buff everywhere unfortunately. Only you really know what you'll need to work on!

EDIT: For references, you might wanna use this. It's just an idea of what sets and reps are etc:

http://www.weightlossmasterpiece.com/What_..._explained.html

Edited by Fatalysm

1. Since you're not trying to lose weight, I'd assume you do a little aerobics and then start doing sets you've planned out for yourself.

2. I started out with a set of crunches, curls, lunges, squats and various other bicep workouts. It really depends what you want to focus on and what you need to compensate for. I cycle regularly, so I don't really need to do anything for my legs with weights. Just focus on what you know you need. Lots of reps with low weight will gain you endurance, while low reps with high weight will gain you muscle mass. After you're done working out, make sure you get protein.

I by no means am an expert, so probably half of what I said isn't true, but that's basically what I do.

1. How does exercising at gyms really work? You think of a routine and you repeat it every time you go there, or you just go there and think of what to do on the spot?

2. As I said before, I'm skinny so what should I start out with? I don't want to look like an ass, trying to do something i can't do bleh.gif

3. What should I do there?

Where to begin.......

Fatalysm outlined what is in a gym pretty well. You'll have your standard aerobic equipment, barbells, dumbells, and weights to put on/take off the bars. Since you said your friend bought you a subscription, I'm assuming he/she goes to that gym. Workout with them until you get the hang of it.

Before you tackle heavy weights, you have to build a base. Start with low weight, high repetitions so you develop good form and have the endurance to do more weight. As your technique gets better, start adding weight slowly.

As far as a routine, that depends on what you want. Do you want to be muscle bound, toned, or just in shape? Those are things that researching will help you decide. The routines will be different depending on what you want your body to be.

As far as the actual routines are concerned, don't stay with the same routine too long. Your body will adjust to the routine and you will stop making gains. I like to cycle a couple of different weightlifting routines to keep my body in shock. That's how you get the best results.

Diet is important if you're serious about getting in shape. Fatalysm covered the diet pretty well, better than I can. If you're trying to build muscle mass, remember to take in lots of protein. Whether that be shakes (ex: Muscle milk), or power bars, w/e. You won't see gains if you don't increase your protein intake.

What should you do there? Workout. That's what a gym is for. Don't be embarrassed, everyone has to workout for their first time at some point.

No I meant they bought a subscription for themselves, so I'll do that too. But yeah the tips help, thanks guys.

No I meant they bought a subscription for themselves, so I'll do that too. But yeah the tips help, thanks guys.
Regardless, you should still workout with them if they have experience :D

Also, advice from a bodybuilding forum is going to be sooooooo much more reliable than a RS forum. You can get the basics from here no problem, but when the details get intricate, go to the people who know it best.

1. How does exercising at gyms really work? You think of a routine and you repeat it every time you go there, or you just go there and think of what to do on the spot? I usually go to the gym with a plan in mind of what i'm gonna do... like if i'm gonna lift weights or run on the treadmill.

2. As I said before, I'm skinny so what should I start out with? I don't want to look like an ass, trying to do something i can't do. I'd just start with some light weightlifting, also if you really wanna bulk up fast, go out and buy yourself a bottle of Creatine it builds muscle mass and also makes you bigger... It's not a steroid just used to bulk up and build muscle.

3. What should I do there? Whatever you want, if you wanna build some muscle lift some weights or if you wanna get cardio up run on the treadmill.

Any questions feel free to PM me, I'm an MMA fighter so i know quite well what i'm doing.

@N1x4s

While you may be an MMA fighter, your average gym goer does not need creatine, or for that matter even a protein shake. The only benefit most receive from shakes are the additional calories that the body can use as energy to repair muscles (and for those with fast meto's it'll give your body something to build muscle from). For most people, they have enough protein from their daily diet that they do not need supplements. Creatine should be used with caution, it can have negative effects on your liver, and it reduces the amount of natural creatine your body produces as it tries to compensate for the additional chemical in your system. Used over a long period of time, your body can cease production of creatine all together which is an extremely undesirable scenario.

For beginning gym goers, start with at least a month of cardio be it biking, rowing, skipping, running or a combination of all them before engaging in any serious weight lifting. This will dramatically reduce the risk of injury and put your a better place to progress quickly.

You should try signing up at a body building forum. They're great. They can tell you all the details of the workouts that not many people here know. (Specific exercises, reps, and weight) They'll give you more detailed diet information, and make sure you won't go overboard and hurt yourself. :D

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

I think this is one of the better ones

This. This, this, this. If you're serious about getting bigger or whatever, BB.com can be a huge help. It may take a bit of researching/reading but it's very worthwhile.

2. As I said before, I'm skinny so what should I start out with? I don't want to look like an ass, trying to do something i can't do. I'd just start with some light weightlifting, also if you really wanna bulk up fast, go out and buy yourself a bottle of Creatine it builds muscle mass and also makes you bigger... It's not a steroid just used to bulk up and build muscle.
A real MMA fighter would know that creatine alone won't build muscle mass, and honestly isn't worth it. Creatine increases the amount of water your muscles can hold. This means you look bigger (obviously you will get stronger too). When you get off the creatine, your body will lose the water weight you gained. It's not as beneficial as people think (yes, I've cycled creatine multiple times).

No need to brag about the sports you do. I don't go around posting my accomplishments. Neither does anyone else...

Okay, thanks for the tips. I have a question about a trainer. Do they really help? He's supposed to tell you what exactly to do and I think that could help.

Get P90x, its an extreme 90 day workout program and I personally find it much better than a gym membership, the only thing you need are weights or resistance bands (which I use) and a chin up bar. I'm on week 9 out of 15 right now and I've noticed much better results than what I did at the gym. They show you the workout, and the easy and difficult modifications towards that workout, so you can personalized and tailor it to where you are at physically. And the host Tony Horton is a great motivator to get you going.

the program costs $140 on amazon, and an extra 80 ish for the equipment (if you get the bands), but its totally worth it. in 90 Days you would have spent $112 most likely on gym memberships, but P90x is a one time payment that you can use over and over again.

Another thing, if you're looking to bulk up, protein is a big factor, you need to consume roughly your body weight (lbs) in grams of protein (so I'm 140 LBS so I need to consume 140g of protein daily). So this is where the protein shakes and bars are your friend, and also look towards the high protein foods like steak and fish.

2. As I said before, I'm skinny so what should I start out with? I don't want to look like an ass, trying to do something i can't do

3. What should I do there

Starting Strength

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131379243

follow it like a Bible and eat everything in sight (just avoid looking at crap food too often)

I went from about 140-170 with it, as Lilshu said you should probably consider asking the questions there as opposed to a Runescape forum filled mostly with nerds who've never touched a weight in their life and pretend to be MMA fighters.

VVV

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

I don't know what the teen section is like, but it's usually very helpful and supportive as long as you don't venture into the misc in which case you'll be dealing with /b/tards.

get P90x, its an extreme 90 day workout program and I personally find it much better than a gym membership, the only thing you need are weights or resistance bands (which I use) and a chin up bar. I'm on week 9 out of 15 right now and I've noticed much better results than what I did at the gym. They show you the workout, and the easy and difficult modifications towards that workout, so you can personalized and tailor it to where you are at physically. And the host Tony Horton is a great motivator to get you going.

P90X Isn't a muscle gaining program, it's a "Get in shape burn fat program" OP wants to gain weight telling him to do a muscular Endurance/Cardio routine is one of the silliest things I've ever heard, no offence.

Okay, thanks for the tips. I have a question about a trainer. Do they really help? He's supposed to tell you what exactly to do and I think that could help.

9/10 trainers are a waste. All you have to do is Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Military press and maybe some rows, but if a trainer told you that then they'd only have you for a couple sessions and they wouldn't make any money so instead they have you do ridiculous shizzle like squat on a balance ball. Once in a while you'll get one who just does it as a hobby and he/she might actually tell you the truth.

go out and buy yourself a bottle of Creatine it builds muscle mass and also makes you bigger...

Water mass=/=Muscle mass, take your broscience elsewhere. All creatine does is help your muscles hold water so they stay hydrated longer and thus they appear bigger for the duration of the cycle and they have all the benefits that being hydrated gives them.

Also as a general rule, your rep range should be around 6-10 if you want to build mass and the weight should be heavy enough that you wouldn't be able to do another 2 reps or another 1 if you have a spotter or you're not doing an exercise where dropping the weight will cause you any injury.

Lastly free-weights are your friend, machines are for lazy people who don't know what they're doing. All they do is restrict your movement and make your stabilizer muscles soft like jelly so that if you ever have to move heavy weight without a machine, you'll fail miserably. Basically all your major exercises should be done with barbells and dumbbells.

Edited by Samurai Kenji

get P90x, its an extreme 90 day workout program and I personally find it much better than a gym membership, the only thing you need are weights or resistance bands (which I use) and a chin up bar. I'm on week 9 out of 15 right now and I've noticed much better results than what I did at the gym. They show you the workout, and the easy and difficult modifications towards that workout, so you can personalized and tailor it to where you are at physically. And the host Tony Horton is a great motivator to get you going.

P90X Isn't a muscle gaining program, it's a "Get in shape burn fat program" OP wants to gain weight telling him to do a muscular Endurance/Cardio routine is one of the silliest things I've ever heard, no offence.

Shows how much of the thread I actually read I guess lol, but you can still gain if you skip the cardio.

The only cardio exercises in p90x are Cardio X, Plyometrics, Kenpo X, and Core Synergistics. Just skip those and you're fine

Edited by FeedMyEgo

Shows how much of the thread I actually read I guess lol, but you can still gain if you skip the cardio.

The only cardio exercises in p90x are Cardio X, Plyometrics, Kenpo X, and Core Synergistics. Just skip those and you're fine

The entire workout routine is a program based on high rep bodyweight exercises. Doing 50 pushups or 500 mountain climbers will not build muscle (Even if you took out the cardio factor). The only thing in the whole program that will actually build muscle is things like chin-ups and pull-ups. The only way the OP is going to build any muscle is to get his ass under a bar and bench, squat, deadlift, military press and Power clean until he's a hulking image of perfection.

EDIT: That's not entirely accurate, for someone who can only do say 15 push-ups they can build muscle but it only takes a couple weeks to pass that point.

Edited by Samurai Kenji