Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mormril

Libya

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2011...attack-on-Libya

I assume that most of you are all aware of what is going on with Libya. If you are completely clueless, the above link will fill you in on the latest pertinent facts. What do you think of the United States involvement in this issue?

Possible discussion points. Should we be getting involved in disputes within a different country? Should we be helping the rebels more? Do you think that Obama is making the right choice here?

(I noticed that the debate forum doesn't really have anything interesting going on for itself right now).

I think this is a damned either way issue.

People will complain about us getting involved but if we don't people will still complain.

People will complain either way, sure. On the whole, I feel like people will complain more if Obama doesn't help. More importantly, the dictators of the Middle East will get the idea that they can defy America and the UN and get away with it if neither are able to stop Gaddafi from crushing protesters, and both need to keep their authority and prestige in the Middle East to help it maintain its positive trajectory towards peace and stability.

Call me nuts but IMO Libya should be left alone.

The USA is already in 14t dollars in debt and they still want to play big brother role?

Poking into people's nose is seriously putting american's life in danger. What if the leaders turns to the terrorist for help?

Another 911 again?

That's what happen when USA intervene to the gulf war which led the world to see what has happen to 911.

And I seriously doubt Obama will withdraw after 2 weeks.

Look at Iraq 8 years and counting.

Come on, war is hell. Where's the anti war movement gone seriously? Or they are just bush haters?

Edited by Deflux

This whole uprising is turning into a giant warplane expo.

Invitations are out to all the world leaders;

"Party at Gaddafis place.

Everyone invited

Bring your own planes

-Love, UN"

The USA is already in 14b dollars in debt and they still want to play big brother role?

Poking into people's nose is seriously putting american's life in danger. What if the leaders turns to the terrorist for help?

Another 911 again?

That's what happen when USA intervene to the gulf war which led the world to see what has happen to 911.

Come on, war is hell. Where's the anti war movement gone seriously? Or they are just bush haters?

Iraq was invaded right after the UN said "there's no reason to invade". There was a no-fly zone imposed since the '90s.

Iraq and Libya are rather different, not to mention the fact that the US aren't the most prominent players in this. France and the UK are.

And wait a tick about your "Another 911 again": don't intervene in terrorist states, receive 9/11. Intervene in terrorist states, receive 9/11. Wat.

The USA is already in 14b dollars in debt and they still want to play big brother role?

Another 911 again?

Oh yes. Because it's obvious that letting a deranged madman kill his own people is the best thing to do. :D

The Libyan people have asked for help. The Arab League has asked for action to be taken. The Security Council has given permission. This assault against Gaddafi murderers is not only legal, it is morally justified. What we have here in a man, willing to show a complete lack of respect and mercy to the dignity of the lie of his own people. If his troops were to have entered Benghazi it would have been a bloodbath. The man likened the opposition to pests and threatened to purge the city, house by house, room to room and show no mercy.

"We will come. House by house, room by room," to quote him directly.

Really? You choose economics over the value of human life? God lord. Clearly you do not know the situation in the region and the danger the people face if Gadaffi were to suceed..

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I do believe that the Allied decision to take action in Libya is completely justified. The US may not be the primary lead-takers but they have assumed control of the situation for now - they want to offload control to the UN asap.

However, I have fears the hype surrounding Libya will overshadow what's currently ongoing within Iraq and Afghanistan where thousands of troops have already lost their lives. It's only a matter of time before those still out there begin to feel overlooked and morale drops.

Either way, I applaud every nation that has noticed that Gaddafi needs to be stopped and have taken action (although I am a little confused in respect to the British general who said that Gaddafi was not a military target? what is he then...)

Oh yes. Because it's obvious that letting a deranged madman kill his own people is the best thing to do. :D

The Libyan people have asked for help. The Arab League has asked for action to be taken. The Security Council has given permission. This assault against Gaddafi murderers is not only legal, it is morally justified. What we have here in a man, willing to show a complete lack of respect and mercy to the dignity of the lie of his own people. If his troops were to have entered Benghazi it would have been a bloodbath. The man likened the opposition to pests and threatened to purge the city, house by house, room to room and show no mercy.

Really? You choose economics over the value of human life? I'm disgusted. Clearly you do not know the situation in the region.

And more civilians die due to this intervention. And now it's has put USA, UK and France into the matter.

What am I saying is let Libya settle on its own. Sure, I hate dictatorship but that doesn't mean another country can come in and get him out. Libya is not even a threat to the USA. Even if Libya is settled. Is the USA gonna go around north Africa intervention in every violent oppression? Acting like they are the police of the world?

We don't know who the rebels are! Even if Gaddafi is killed, the next thing might be rebuilding the nation for them. So where do you get the money seriously when the country is down with a 14trillion dollar in debt.

Money is being thrown down at this war but at the same time the government is risking your own people's life for this. The soldiers life is at stake as well.

Going to war is easy but ending it its tough.

Edited by Deflux

Really? You choose economics over the value of human life? I'm disgusted. Clearly you do not know the situation in the region.

And more civilians die due to this intervention. And now it's has put USA, UK and France into the matter.

What am I saying is let Libya settle on its own. Sure, I hate dictatorship but that doesn't mean another country can come in and get him out. Libya is not even a threat to the USA. Even if Libya is settled. Is the USA gonna go around north Africa intervention in every violent oppression? Acting like they are the police of the world?

We don't know who the rebels are! Even if Gaddafi is killed, the next thing might be rebuilding the nation for them. So where do you get the money seriously when the country is down with a 14trillion dollar in debt.

Money is being thrown down at this war but at the same time the government is risking your own people's life for this. The soldiers life is at stake as well.

Going to war is easy but ending it its tough.

Because it's not terrorism and evil if it doesn't effect the US right?. Taken straight out of the Daily Show buddy.

More lives could be lost if Gadaffi wins. Which he could have done if action had no been taken. I refuse to watch humanity sit idly by as another genocide plays out before them on prime-time TV. It simply isn't do. Yes, deaths will happen, lives will be lost, evil will occur because of this operation. All war is evil. Killing soldiers, even if they are Gadaffi's men, that's evil. But it is justified because we are preventing a far greater evil from happening. Namely, a man turning bombs, bullets and steel against his own people. Watch the news. See how his artillery rocket aim hit populated areas of rebel towns.

Also note, this is not about the US alone. Stop trying to act like it's about the US alone. Other countries are involved, four fighters jets from here in Qatar included. The UN has spoken and deemed it right to stop the madman. Countries have the right to stop him. What more do you need?

And we do know who the rebels are may I add. What is wrong with an opposition group asking for democracy? And why do you think it's the US alone that's going to pay for this?

Money is not being wasted. Soldier's lives are not being played with. This is serious business. Human life is at stake. Or would you rather sit back and watch Gadaffi murder his own people from the comfort of your own living room, safe in the thought that he poses no threat to your country or others, that the world has saved a few of billion dollars and that UN backed troops aren't put at risk? Is that how we want to play things? Everyman for himself and to each his own problem?

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Because it's not terrorism and evil if it doesn't effect the US right?. Taken straight out of the Daily Show buddy.

More lives could be lost if Gadaffi wins. Which he could have done if action had no been taken. I refuse to watch humanity sit idly by as another genocide plays out before them on prime-time TV. It simply isn't do. Yes, deaths will happen, lives will be lost, evil will occur because of this operation. All war is evil. Killing soldiers, even if they are Gadaffi's men, that's evil. But it is justified because we are preventing a far greater evil from happening. Namely, a man turning bombs, bullets and steel against his own people. Watch the news. See how his artillery rocket aim hit populated areas of rebel towns.

Also note, this is not about the US alone. Stop trying to act like it's about the US alone. Other countries are involved, four fighters jets from here in Qatar included. The UN has spoken and deemed it right to stop the madman. Countries have the right to stop him. What more do you need?

And we do know who the rebels are may I add. What is wrong with an opposition group asking for democracy? And why do you think it's the US alone that's going to pay for this?

Money is not being wasted. Soldier's lives are not being played with. This is serious business. Human life is at stake. Or would you rather sit back and watch Gadaffi murder his own people from the comfort of your own living room, safe in the thought that he poses no threat to your country or others, that the world has saved a few of billion dollars and that UN backed troops aren't put at risk? Is that how we want to play things? Everyman for himself and to each his own problem?

And not understanding the full situation of the rebels is putting the countries involve in at stake as well.

Do the rebels really want a republic or we will just see another dictatorship few years down the road?

No one knows as of yet.

Besides, is Gadaffi a threat to UK, US and France?

Personally, I think only a country should go to war if it threatens the country's security but I don see that in Gadaffi.

The loss of lives in Libya is terrible but I seriously think its dangerous to get other countries involved in this conflict which may led into more causalities.

I believe it might brought us some unintended consequences that we might see in the next few years.

Here, I shall say I'm against the intervention period.

Edited by Deflux

And not understanding the full situation of the rebels is putting the countries involve in at stake as well.

Do the rebels really want a republic or we will just see another dictatorship few years down the road?

No one knows as of yet.

Personally, I think only a country should go to war if it threatens the country's security but I don see that in Gadaffi.

The loss of lives in Libya is terrible but I seriously think its dangerous to get other countries involved in this conflict which may led into more causalities.

I believe it might brought us some unintended consequences that we might see in the next few years.

do me and yourself a favour and read this before you post in this thread again...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103

I've been conversing with my father about this lately, as Gaddafi has been in power since 1969 and has a well informed opinion on it. It's mind boggling to learn about a lot of the things from my dad's point of view, especially his comments and thoughts on the coups, and how he's been allowed to stay in power.

No one knows as of yet.

You clearly know nothing about what is happening. Your wording show it.

This belief in isolating one's making, making it immune to the please and cries of a suffering people, only doing what is right when it benefits you...it's putrid. Call me naive or idealistic but I believe that when people are being oppressed and mass murder is taking place, it is the responsibility of every good human being to put an end to it. The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing to quote Edmund Burke.

This nonesense about not knowing who the rebels are and their intentions are mealy the words of an uninformed person. If you've been keeping up with events you would know who they are, what their agenda is and what they are trying to achieve. You would know they are mostly composed of the common Libyan, sick and tired of years of oppression. You would know the the people running it are political dissidents and defectors from old regime, all outraged by Gadaffi's sick lack of respect for life. And you would know that these protests started of peacefully, calling for rights and democracy, only taking up arms when Gadaffi decided to BOMB AND SHOOT THEM.

You know nothing man, nothing. And I can't believe you would make these sweeping remarks without a clear picture of what's happening down there. Please do some reading before posting.

Edit - I'm starting to sound like an ass. I know it and I'm really sorry. It's just so infuriating debating with someone who doesn't understand what's going on. Even more when that man recommends we let civilians get slaughtered as an alternative to action.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Everyone invited

Bring your own planes

-Love, UN"

A warplane expo? LOL.

If it was a warplane expo, there would be a zillion Typhoons and the US would bring Raptors into the field. But the US has made it very clear that unless Libya's (probably non-functional) Foxbats enter the field, there will be no Raptors.

People will complain either way, sure. On the whole, I feel like people will complain more if Obama doesn't help. More importantly, the dictators of the Middle East will get the idea that they can defy America and the UN and get away with it if neither are able to stop Gaddafi from crushing protesters, and both need to keep their authority and prestige in the Middle East to help it maintain its positive trajectory towards peace and stability.

People will complain isn't a good reason to go to war, especially if that war is costly (but that goes without sayin'), will have casualties (again, goes without sayin') and once again shows just how imperialistic America has become. We've dedicated ourselves to stopping tyrants, yet we aren't particularly bright when it comes to installing new governments. I don't want to have another war and have the US's obnoxious Cold War defense budgets go up even more, but I'd also like a Libya not controlled by Gaddafi.

Another 911 again?

14 trillion, not billion.

I don't like imperialism either, but Gaddafi isn't the sort of person that's going to make humanitarian of the year any decade soon...

Everyone invited

Bring your own planes

-Love, UN"

lol

Another 911 again?

Really? You choose economics over the value of human life? God lord. Clearly you do not know the situation in the region and the danger the people face if Gadaffi were to suceed..

Sadly, he's sorta potentially got a point by pulling the positive externalities card. If the good comes at too high a cost then it wouldn't be economically just to go in. Especially if our end game is as bad as Iraq...

And the history of former colonies isn't particularly shiny either; Europe has screwed the pooch with government installments more times then I should count.

Edited by Sax Rocks1

You clearly know nothing about what is happening. Your wording show it.

This belief in isolating one's making, making it immune to the please and cries of a suffering people, only doing what is right when it benefits you...it's putrid. Call me naive or idealistic but I believe that when people are being oppressed and mass murder is taking place, it is the responsibility of every good human being to put an end to it. The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing to quote Edmund Burke.

This nonesense about not knowing who the rebels are and their intentions are mealy the words of an uninformed person. If you've been keeping up with events you would know who they are, what their agenda is and what they are trying to achieve. You would know they are mostly composed of the common Libyan, sick and tired of years of oppression. You would know the the people running it are political dissidents and defectors from old regime, all outraged by Gadaffi's sick lack of respect for life. And you would know that these protests started of peacefully, calling for rights and democracy, only taking up arms when Gadaffi decided to BOMB AND SHOOT THEM.

You know nothing man, nothing. And I can't believe you would make these sweeping remarks without a clear picture of what's happening down there. Please do some reading before posting.

Edit - I'm starting to sound like an ass. I know it and I'm really sorry. It's just so infuriating debating with someone who doesn't understand what's going on. Even more when that man recommends we let civilians get slaughtered as an alternative to action.

My stance at the last post is clear (There might be unintended consequences getting involve into it.) but the both of us has every different views on Libya I don't want to turn this into a flaming war and that's why I'm backing away. I don't think its right to intervene but you see as a need to save them from dictatorship.

To my knowledge, we aren't there to take out Gaddahfi, or however you spell his name. Rather, we are just trying to keep him from massacring everyone. If we are trying to take him out, I say "uh oh", because we have been down this road before. We really can't afford another Iraq, so hopefully Obama will get out soon once the bleeding stops. Sadly, as the case is in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's easier to get into these things than get out.

To my knowledge, we aren't there to take out Gaddahfi, or however you spell his name. Rather, we are just trying to keep him from massacring everyone. If we are trying to take him out, I say "uh oh", because we have been down this road before. We really can't afford another Iraq, so hopefully Obama will get out soon once the bleeding stops. Sadly, as the case is in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's easier to get into these things than get out.

If we really wanted to take him out, there'd be a phone call. Two Marine Corps Scout Snipers would be dropped about 3 hours later, and then after however long it takes to secure an E&E plan, Gaddahfi would be old news. And there would never be a trace of the Marines.

If we really wanted to take him out, there'd be a phone call. Two Marine Corps Scout Snipers would be dropped about 3 hours later, and then after however long it takes to secure an E&E plan, Gaddahfi would be old news. And there would never be a trace of the Marines.

Marines? Bahhhh. They're glorified machine-gunners anymore.

If we wanted to do that we'd send in DEVGRU.

Edited by Demon Jelly

Not necessarily today. The glory days of the CIA, where the government could do that sort of thing and keep the world in the dark, are over. Think about it. When Wikileaks came out, was anybody surprised? We are launching missiles in Yemen, is one of the leaks. Shocked? I'm not. The might of the military is no match for Brad Manning and a Lady Gaga disk.

Not necessarily today. The glory days of the CIA, where the government could do that sort of thing and keep the world in the dark, are over. Think about it. When Wikileaks came out, was anybody surprised? We are launching missiles in Yemen, is one of the leaks. Shocked? I'm not. The might of the military is no match for Brad Manning and a Lady Gaga disk.

The only people who are ever in the dark are the general public.

And at this point, I still see it as a viable option to do. The man is massacring his own people.

The only people who are ever in the dark are the general public.

And at this point, I still see it as a viable option to do. The man is massacring his own people.

kill the figurehead and someone else will just take his place in the same system, probably one of his kids in this case

support an uprising and the leadership will be replaced by a new system with as an added extra that the people will feel that they won and didn't get invaded

The US has bombed Qaddafi before(go Reagan?), no big deal. But I hope this time it will actually make a difference. If it leads to the downfall of Qaddafi, I wholeheartedly endorse U.S. and any other nations involvement.

Truth.

We've known that the US occasionally sends drones to bomb Yemen for a while now...