Sal's RuneScape Forum
Naota

Television & Movies Discussion Thread

>Anime Discussion<

>Music Discussion<

>TV&Movie Discussion< -You are here-

>Literature Discussion<

Alright so this is a thread for other members of this forum to discuss television shows and motion pictures they like and recommend them to other people with similar interests. Much like the music recommendation thread, except for television.

*Ahem*

Okay then I'll start this off, hopefully this topic lasts more than a week :D

So I've been watching a lot of comedy (always sunny/reno 911/chappelle's show/British version of "the office") and was wondering what another good comedy on TV are that I can watch?

I'm a fan of animation/cartoons so I've mainly been watching those (anime/family guy/robot chicken/adult swim stuff) so I'd like a show with real people and real things.

Any ideas?

Edited by Naota

Could you turn this into a "TV and Movies Recommendation Thread?" Those two go together pretty well and we haven't had a thread about movies in a while. :D

The British Office (or should I say, the original Office) is great. I'm currently halfway through the first season. The only problem I have is that sometimes I can't understand what they say. >_<

Anyways, you might be interested in checking out Community. It's a comedy on NBC that airs at 8:00 (EST) on Thursdays. It's very pop-culture centric and it has like big story arcs going throughout plus a lot of character development so if you wanna get into it I highly suggest watching from the beginning

Could you turn this into a "TV and Movies Recommendation Thread?" Those two go together pretty well and we haven't had a thread about movies in a while. :(

Good call. :D

And I don't mean currently airing, something I can netflix/download/rent

You can netflix/download/rent Season One of Community.

Also, I watched Se7en yesterday. It's definitely my favorite cop thriller/murder mystery movie yet. The ending blew my mind. An amazing movie and I recommend it to anyone who's into psychological thrillers or murder mysteries.

Edited by Samsara

Flight of the Conchords is a pretty great HBO series about New Zealand's fourth most popular folk parody group as they struggle to make a living in New York City. They're an actual comedy duo, and the show is a typical comedy show that features two music videos of their songs for each ep. (Don't worry, the songs go with the plot. Mostly.)

Community is about a lawyer who needs to go back and get a law degree because it turns out his original one did not come from a "real" school. However, the only important thing with the main character being a former lawyer is for his character. The show is supposed to be about him getting a degree from a community college so he can go back to work for his practice, but it's really about the excellent writing, characters, and parody episodes. Anything can happen at Greendale (the college), and Community episodes range from standard sitcom , to an episode-long Goodfellas parody.

The increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret is about a habitually lying, self-destructive man. Probably the most painfully-funny thing I've ever seen, as some of the things Todd Margaret does are hard to watch...just from how unbelievably stupid or jerky they are. The two main characters are David Cross and Will Arnett from Arrested Development, so it has to be good. Example

Arrested Development is a highly acclaimed show that managed to run for 53 episodes without a bad one among them. It centers around Michael Bluth trying to hold his family, and the family business, together after his father is arrested for defrauding investors. The comedy mainly comes from interactions between characters of a very dysfunctional family. You need to get used to how the show operates before you can fully appreciate the humor, but it's the most consistently hilarious thing I've ever seen.

Edited by Adam?

Also, Arrested Development is probably the best comedy ever made. Just go watch it.

I've been meaning to check out Arrested Development for a while. Could you summarize/condense the plot like you did with Community and the Flight of the Conchords?

Also, props on the link to the Modern Warfare vid. It's one of my favorite episodes of Community and, to me, the best out of season one.

By the way, what's your opinion on season two so far?

Also, Arrested Development is probably the best comedy ever made. Just go watch it.

I've been meaning to check out Arrested Development for a while. Could you summarize/condense the plot like you did with Community and the Flight of the Conchords?

Also, props on the link to the Modern Warfare vid. It's one of my favorite episodes of Community and, to me, the best out of season one.

I guess I'll throw in one for Arrested Development too.

I feel that season two has surpassed season one, but season one still holds the best episode of the series.

I feel that season two has surpassed season one, but season one still holds the best episode of the series.

While in general I like season two better, I think it's missing the awesome character development that was in season one. It feels like every single time Jeff learns an important lesson, the writers hit the reset button and he's acting like an goosedown again the next episode. I guess it might be because Jeff isn't taking center stage this season, but it's getting a bit tiring.

Also, I think we're definitely going to be meeting Jeff's dad by the end of the season. I think it's a huge topic that the writers aren't just going to leave alone.

Oh yeah and what's up with Annie? They've gone through a lot of effort fleshing out her character more this season but for what purpose? She literally did nothing the entire last episode.

BTW Arrested Development looks sweet. I'll check out a couple of episodes and see if I like! :D

I forgot to add that to my list.

I've seen all the seasons!

While in general I like season two better, I think it's missing the awesome character development that was in season one. It feels like every single time Jeff learns an important lesson, the writers hit the reset button and he's acting like an goosedown again the next episode. I guess it might be because Jeff isn't taking center stage this season, but it's getting a bit tiring.

Also, I think we're definitely going to be meeting Jeff's dad by the end of the season. I think it's a huge topic that the writers aren't just going to leave alone.

Oh yeah and what's up with Annie? They've gone through a lot of effort fleshing out her character more this season but for what purpose? She literally did nothing the entire last episode.

BTW Arrested Development looks sweet. I'll check out a couple of episodes and see if I like! :D

Pierce has gone through some serious development this season, and with Jeff, you may be right, but I feel that's just a failure of his own personality.

What's up with Annie? She's hot idk.

Pierce has gone through some serious development this season, and with Jeff, you may be right, but I feel that's just a failure of his own personality.

What's up with Annie? She's hot idk.

I was expecting the whole Pierce thing to build up to a lot more than him yelling a few angry sentences while on the floor of a parking lot. It had a lot more impact though because of how the entire episode was presented in a more "real" format.

And I'm just gonna have to go with the general consensus of Annie being hot.

Also, I watched Se7en yesterday. It's definitely my favorite cop thriller/murder mystery movie yet. The ending blew my mind. An amazing movie and I recommend it to anyone who's into psychological thrillers or murder mysteries.

I've been on a psychological thriller spree for the last few months and I've started running out of good ones to watch, any movies similar to Se7en you could recommend? Hopefully there'll be one or two I've missed.

Any movie with James Woods, Samuel L. Jackson and/or Russel Crowe is a good movie.

Sammy's been in loads of awful movies.

I've been on a psychological thriller spree for the last few months and I've started running out of good ones to watch, any movies similar to Se7en you could recommend? Hopefully there'll be one or two I've missed.

You've probably watched these already but I'm just gonna mention them for those who haven't.

Fight Club

American Psycho

The Silence of the Lambs

Memento

Pulp Fiction

Unbreakable (not that good but still nice to watch)

Shutter Island

Sin City

Kwinten posted a really good list above, but I'd like to add Mullholland Drive onto that list. It's not exactly a psychological thriller, but it contains a lot of elements from that genre.

Kwinten posted a really good list above, but I'd like to add Mullholland Drive onto that list. It's not exactly a psychological thriller, but it contains a lot of elements from that genre.

I daresay I'm the biggest David Lynch fan on this forum and as such I've seen Mulholland Dr. a buttload of times. Amazing film, as are all of Lynch's. And of Kwinten's list I can say I've seen all of those movies and enjoyed them all (though the ones that stuck out as really great movies were American Psycho [partly because I love the novel], Memento [because Guy Pearce is HOT] and Shutter Island [again, great book and again, Michelle Williams is OH SO HOT although so is Leo]). Any thrillers I haven't seen that are similar to Lynchian films would be amazing.

I watched Donnie Darko today. Pretty much a cult classic and a great thriller to that. Lots of dark humor and some very good acting. Not exactly a Lynchian thriller but a very good one indeed! Check it out, you may be in for a good surprise.

And amen to Shutter Island and Momento! :D I can't comment on American Psycho though as I haven't seen it yet.

EDIT: If you're interested in checking out Donnie Darko, I highly recommend the Director's Cut edition.

Edited by Samsara

Arrested Development is the best comedy, bar none. Another great one is Louie, starring the stand-up comic Louis C.K.

Oh, and Californication is more of a comedy-drama, but it's hilarious, witty, and pretty damn awesome.

Check out David Cronenberg's movies. I really liked eXistenZ and Eastern Promises. All of his movies will probably be right up your alley though.

Mr Brooks (with Kevin Costner) isn't the greatest, but it's in the same vein as other movies mentioned. And watch The Machinists, if only to see how terrifyingly skinny Christian Bale was.

I watched Donnie Darko today. Pretty much a cult classic and a great thriller to that. Lots of dark humor and some very good acting. Not exactly a Lynchian thriller but a very good one indeed! Check it out, you may be in for a good surprise.

And amen to Shutter Island and Momento! :D I can't comment on American Psycho though as I haven't seen it yet.

I do like Donnie Darko, it's a wonderfully well made film.

Check out David Cronenberg's movies. I really liked eXistenZ and Eastern Promises. All of his movies will probably be right up your alley though.

Mr Brooks (with Kevin Costner) isn't the greatest, but it's in the same vein as other movies mentioned. And watch The Machinists, if only to see how terrifyingly skinny Christian Bale was.

I love Cronenberg but I thought eXistenZ was a bit poo. Crash is amazing though, as is Spider and naturally The Fly.

I really like Brad Anderson who did The Machinist. He did a movie called Session 9 which was an amazing atmospheric horror. He did a cool movie called Transsiberian which was cool. I watched Vanishing On 7th Street by him recently, wasn't too sure about it.

Someone name 10 amazing movies that are instant on Netflix.

On my "To watch" list (AKA downloads folder):

Full Metal Jacket

Scarface

The Godfather Part 3 (first two were amazing, but I heard this one wasn't as good)

12 Monkeys

Wild Hogs

The first three have been on the list for about a month. So many good movies to watch, so little time.

There's so many great classics I haven't seen yet because I was born way too late and 'old' films didn't really spark my interest until recently.

Someone name 10 amazing movies that are instant on Netflix.

I liked Tremors, but you can only see two and three, the first one is the best.