Sal's RuneScape Forum
Naota

Television & Movies Discussion Thread

I love Cronenberg but I thought eXistenZ was a bit poo. Crash is amazing though, as is Spider and naturally The Fly.

I really like Brad Anderson who did The Machinist. He did a movie called Session 9 which was an amazing atmospheric horror. He did a cool movie called Transsiberian which was cool. I watched Vanishing On 7th Street by him recently, wasn't too sure about it.

I suspect you might have a higher tolerance for horror films than I do. I actually can't stomach a lot of Cronenberg's work.

There are a number of Korean movies you'd really enjoy. Oldboy is the obvious one (and it's part of a trilogy; I don't know how good the other two are). I've heard that The Chaser is excellent, too, although I haven't seen it yet.

Someone name 10 amazing movies that are instant on Netflix.

If you like classic foreign movies I could list plenty: Jules et Jim, Wild Strawberries, Army of Shadows, The Bicycle Thief...

Also:

This Is Spinal Tap

Gosford Park

Oldboy

Charade

Harvey

Marathon Man

Wall Street

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

A Very Long Engagement

Dog Day Afternoon

Being John Malkovich

Edited by Common Sense

I'd recommend watching Sherlock as soon as the next seasons returns to BBC in the UK. Community looks like something I'd be interested in, although I can't watch the free episodes outside of USA and it's £62 ($100) on iTunes for both seasons :D

The Office isn't actually that popular in the UK like it is with America. Just like the Beatles, Hugh Laurie, Russel Brand etc...

Edited by Ambo100

Without a Trace is a great crime show.

Community's Facebook page has informed me that tomorrow's night will be Pulp Fiction themed. That means I need to go and watch Pulp Fiction! While I'm at it, I'll also be watching A Few Good Men, another well re-known movie that I have not yet seen. I have time to fit in at least one more movie this weekend and it's between 127 Hours or something else. Any recommendations?

I love Cronenberg but I thought eXistenZ was a bit poo. Crash is amazing though, as is Spider and naturally The Fly.

I really like Brad Anderson who did The Machinist. He did a movie called Session 9 which was an amazing atmospheric horror. He did a cool movie called Transsiberian which was cool. I watched Vanishing On 7th Street by him recently, wasn't too sure about it.

I suspect you might have a higher tolerance for horror films than I do. I actually can't stomach a lot of Cronenberg's work.

There are a number of Korean movies you'd really enjoy. Oldboy is the obvious one (and it's part of a trilogy; I don't know how good the other two are). I've heard that The Chaser is excellent, too, although I haven't seen it yet.

I'd highly recommend Spider then, it's entirely a psychological thriller and is free of Cronenberg's usual "body horror" business. It's really underrated and stars the always fantastic Ralph Fiennes.

From Park Chan Wook's trilogy I honestly can't decide if I like Oldboy or Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance more. They're both incredible movies. I can't say the same for Lady Vengeance, I definitely felt a little let down by that one. The Chaser is superb, very similar style to Oldboy and Mr. Vengeance which might explain why I enjoyed it so much.

That means I need to go and watch Pulp Fiction!

You haven't seen it yet?

Oh man, you're going to love it.

It's how criminals can have completely normal conversations and their lives. I liked that one.

You haven't seen it yet?

It's how criminals can have completely normal conversations and their lives. I liked that one.

You know what they call a quarter pounder in France?

You haven't seen it yet?

Royale with cheese.

Edited by Naota

I recommend 8 Mile to anyone. It's a great movie. To be honest, I was a little skeptical going into the movie because I'm not a huge fan of Eminem, but it turned out to be a lot better than I expected.

Edit: Last night I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It had a slow start, but it turned out to be an amazing movie, with a sad/happy ending.

Edited by WOLFBEN

Last night's Community was okay. An average episode. I was expecting them to go a bit further with the Pulp Fiction thing. Though it may just have been me not understanding any subtle references as I haven't seen the movie. :D The highlights were definitely Jeff spilling his guts out to Abed, that was a great bit.

The end of season two is nearing and I think the writers need to kick in the overarching story arc that's going to bring the season to the close. At the moment the only thing I can think of is the Annie/Jeff thing finally coming to a resolution or Jeff meeting his dad. Oh and Shirley's child.

Watched Brewster's Millions tonight. Really liked the acting of the lead character who for the life of me I can't forget. It was a pretty good comedy and I enjoyed it a lot.

Tomorrow, Pulp Fiction! :D

Have any of you ever watched The Machinist? It's probably going to be the next movie that I watch.

You haven't seen it yet?

Royale with cheese.

A royale with cheese! You are a smart mother fudgeer!

I love love love that movie.

You haven't seen it yet?

Royale with cheese.

Do you know WHY they call it a royale with cheese?

You haven't seen it yet?

Royale with cheese.

Because of the metric system?

Just finished watching Marathon Man. So far 2/2 of the movies that I've watched that Common Sense recommended have been great. Yesterday I found out that One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was filmed in Oregon.

You haven't seen it yet?

Royale with cheese.

Because of the metric system?

Check out the big brain on Kwinten!

I'm 17 minutes into 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I'm having strong doubts that I'm going to finish it. So far it's pretty bad, I don't see what people find so great about this movie.

I'm 17 minutes into 2001: A Space Odyssey, and I'm having strong doubts that I'm going to finish it. So far it's pretty bad, I don't see what people find so great about this movie.

Post back what it's like.

After watching Moon (AMAZING EVERYONE HAS TO SEE IT) I'm really curious about it.

Post back what it's like.

After watching Moon (AMAZING EVERYONE HAS TO SEE IT) I'm really curious about it.

I'm sorry, I couldn't stand watching nothing but apes jump up and down for 20 minutes. I had to stop the movie.

Taking advantage of a sick day and am watching Pulp Fiction right now. :D

Also I will +1 redmonke's Moon recommendation. A beautiful movie and it's absolutely amazing.

For anyone into surrealist/postmodern/arthouse cinema, I recommend Eraserhead.

It's my all-time favourite movie, by the amazing David Lynch.

Pulp Fiction wasn't nearly as good as it's talked up to be.

There were a lot of hilarious moments and a lot of really good moments. Like when Butch is driving and Marsellus walks right in front of him or like when Jules pulls the whole "DO YOU KNOW WHAT MARSELLUS WALLACE LOOKS LIKE?" thing. But as a whole movie I didn't really like it. It pulled off the whole "criminals living normal lives" thing really well but it wasn't really that enjoyable.