Sal's RuneScape Forum
Naota

Television & Movies Discussion Thread

In case there are people who haven't seen it, here's the new Captain America 2 trailer:

The scene with him in the lift was just BADASS MAN! GOD, it was awesome. :D

Has anyone seen 12 Years as a Slave? It looks pretty interesting. And it's directed by Steve McQueen! (different Steve McQueen though :/)

Television and movies don't belong in the same thread.

;_;

Has anyone seen 12 Years as a Slave? It looks pretty interesting. And it's directed by Steve McQueen! (different Steve McQueen though :/)

Yeah when I saw it was directed by Steve McQueen I was really interested because I thought he was dead! But I looked him up and he is some black British guy, no relation to the other Steve McQueen.

Justified and Archer are coming back in a few months. Anyone else a fan?

I think I love you.

It seems that everyone I know likes Archer, but I haven't met another human who watches Justified. And it's a travesty.

What'd you guys think of the Korra season finale? Personally, I loved it. Not sure if I liked the fourparter more than Beginnings, but I was very satisfied. Those episodes showed all of LOK's potential as a show. Can't wait for book 3.

What'd you guys think of the Korra season finale? Personally, I loved it. Not sure if I liked the fourparter more than Beginnings, but I was very satisfied. Those episodes showed all of LOK's potential as a show. Can't wait for book 3.

I watched the entire book 2 in one sitting. I loved it. It truly does match up with the original avatar. I found a couple of parts a little too predictable. But I love that sometimes. This was one case. One thing I especially enjoyed was the fact that they finally explained was the original avatar. Pure genius right there.

I watched the entire book 2 in one sitting. I loved it. It truly does match up with the original avatar. I found a couple of parts a little too predictable. But I love that sometimes. This was one case. One thing I especially enjoyed was the fact that they finally explained was the original avatar. Pure genius right there.

I do not enjoy nor buy the whole "new Avatar cycle" thing. From a story perspective, It destroyed the whole sense on continuity and constancy that the Avatar brought and I very much doubt that Korra can last very long as the Avatar without assistance from her past lives. Say what you want but she was a b****y teenager throughout the whole series and with that Mako, Asami love triangle forming, they'll be plenty of time for Nick to give us whiny teen BS.

Also, do you really expect me to believe that Nick will do away from past lives appearances? Geeze! The nostalgia is what brings half the audience. It's all about the ratings man.

The finale still brilliant overall. I'm just disappointed that a large part of the season didn't play to that level and instead gave us whiny Korra.

I do not enjoy nor buy the whole "new Avatar cycle" thing. From a story perspective, It destroyed the whole sense on continuity and constancy that the Avatar brought and I very much doubt that Korra can last very long as the Avatar without assistance from her past lives. Say what you want but she was a b****y teenager throughout the whole series and with that Mako, Asami love triangle forming, they'll be plenty of time for Nick to give us whiny teen BS.

What's not to buy? The Raava that merged with Wan was destroyed. So the past lives and experiences went with her. I'm glad they had the balls to have the season have actual implications and consequence, which is far more than I could say about Amon. I'll admit Korra was pretty irrational at first, but she's honestly an emotional character who focused up big time once she learned about harmonic convergence. Also, the romance was great in the last episodes because, while it was always there, it was in the background. Just like ATLA.

Also, do you really expect me to believe that Nick will do away from past lives appearances? Geeze! The nostalgia is what brings half the audience. It's all about the ratings man.

I highly doubt the writers will completely backtrack. The next book is called "Change", and they're making a concerted effort to show how things are different for this new avatar cycle.

The finale still brilliant overall. I'm just disappointed that a large part of the season didn't play to that level and instead gave us whiny Korra.

There was a severe dip in quality for the Civil War episodes, but beyond that nothing was actually bad. First two episodes were good and The Sting was fun.

I seriously felt that the romance (and conflicts that came with it) forced upon us more during the Korra series than TLAB. It shows with the sting for example. A smart, independent woman like Asami suddenly hitting on Mako like that with Korra gone just seemed artificial and out of character.

The idea of Raava dying or being destroyed just doesn't convince me. There's plenty of loopholes that can be exploited by the writers like the both light and dark spirits never being really destroyed (they can't exist without each other or something like that). It's weird how folks are making this distinction between the "old" and"new" Raava when really, it's the same resurrected Raava. If the Avatar's collective wisdom and energy rests in her and she couldn't be completely destroyed, forgive me for being sceptical about all that knowledge being lost. Not to mention how eerily similar this is to Aang not entering the Avatar State cause of some metaphysical barrier or severance or connection (Book 3).

Change can be in the form of many things.

If anything, reconnecting with the past Avatars will be a great chance of spiritual growth for Korra to develop her spirituality. And again, there's the nostalgia man.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree till Book 3.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Amazing Spider-Man 2 trailer:

Edited by Leo Crimson

Saw 12 Years A Slave a couple weeks ago, by far the best movie I have seen this year (in comparison to other good ones I saw such as Gravity, Captain Phillips, The Hobbit, Prisoners). Steve McQueen, the black, British director (not the other McQueen), did an incredible job using long, one frame shots to really bring about the sense of hopelessness among the slaves. Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender are amazing in it, I strongly believe both should be nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor (respectively), and to further that, Ejiofor should definitely win Best Actor. Overall just an incredible movie, but very powerful, and that I should stress; this movie is not for those that are not used to very graphic and detailed displays of the brutality of slavery. As far as movies about slavery go, it is by far the most accurate, most gruesome, and most real.

5/5 stars, 10/10, whatever rating. It was perfect.

^ Really makes me want to go see this now.

Saw American Hustle today; a little bit confusing towards the end, but another great film by David O'Russell who's like my new favourite director now. This guy makes amazing movies.

Sherlock is back, first episode is absolutely stunning. Thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and I cannot wait for what's in store next!

Also I've gotten into Justified as per your recommendations, on the tail-end of season 3 at the moment but I'm really liking it. Great characters, plot, and settings. Also I agree with you 'shu, Raylan and Winona are hot as fudge

Edited by O hai im KAMIL

finally continuing breaking bad again

skyler white is a fudgeing nice doggy!

"omg he made me fudgeing breakfast that son of a nice doggy! I'm so angry"

I didn't realise Korra had finished 2nd season, yet another thing I have to catch up on!

Hobbit 2 was good. It got off to a slow start but got better. Much less confusing than the first one.

Yeah I'm surprised there's no mention of the Hobbit here. I was particularly impressed with the scenes of the dragon. Gave it some personality and made it seem very intimidating. It's kind of a shame that the climax of the story will take place within the first 30 minutes of the next movie, not sure exactly what they will do for the last 2 hours because I forget what happened in the book after that.

Yeah I'm surprised there's no mention of the Hobbit here. I was particularly impressed with the scenes of the dragon. Gave it some personality and made it seem very intimidating. It's kind of a shame that the climax of the story will take place within the first 30 minutes of the next movie, not sure exactly what they will do for the last 2 hours because I forget what happened in the book after that.

Apparently Jackson is going to use the appendices in the ROTK book to fill the 3rs film up, so chances are he's gonna really try to tie it with his lotr trilogy. In the book it's mostly the big battle, and then Bilbo going on with a few minor stops on the way.

Apparently Jackson is going to use the appendices in the ROTK book to fill the 3rs film up, so chances are he's gonna really try to tie it with his lotr trilogy. In the book it's mostly the big battle, and then Bilbo going on with a few minor stops on the way.

I'm not sure what happens in that battle, but don't tell me because I don't like spoilers. I dislike how he tied in the rise Sauron (sp?) in the Hobbit (this wasn't in the book, right? It has been 7-8 years).

I'm not sure what happens in that battle, but don't tell me because I don't like spoilers. I dislike how he tied in the rise Sauron (sp?) in the Hobbit (this wasn't in the book, right? It has been 7-8 years).

No worries. :P And yeah, Tolkien wrote the whole Sauron plotline after he wrote The Hobbit. I felt like the biggest flaw in the movies so far is that Peter Jackson kept trying to make it too much like Lord of the Rings and making really obvious references to those.

Am I the only one who thinks the Hobbit (so far) is better than the LOTR? I watched the last LOTR movie not too long ago and thought it was way too corny.

Am I the only one who thinks the Hobbit (so far) is better than the LOTR? I watched the last LOTR movie not too long ago and thought it was way too corny.

the hobbit is a load of horsedung if you ask me

fast paced action shot, short dialogue, way too long fast paced action shot, some dialogue, fast paced action, dialogue, horribly logn and stupid 3d action show off (barrel scene), some dialogue...

the only 2 good scenes in the whole second hobbit movie were the discussion between the Wood Elf King and the dwarf Leader and the verbal sparring between Bilbo and Smaug

the big difference between the LOTR movies and the hobbit movies is that the lotr ones had a story to tell...

anyhow saw the wolf of wallstreet this weekend

scorcese did it again, made a movie without obligatory catharsis scene at the end or clear moral viewpoint

in other words finally a movie that doesn't treat it's vieuwers as complete idiots and actually let them think themselves instead of drawing all the conclusions for them

Film technical this was also the most interesting one i saw in a long time, he broke with a lot of traditional filming rules, Leonardo directly talking to the camera to explain what you see for one as in a documentary while fluidly going over in classical scenes again where the storyteller is a character again

an absolute must see!

the hobbit is a load of horsedung if you ask me

This isn't intended to be directly at you Egghe, more just a general rant:

Am I the only one who actually enjoys movies and shows? All the time I see people complaining about absolutely everything; from characters to plot, CGI (L0l) to setting, the list goes on. I feel like nobody really enjoys shows for what they are, an entertaining artform, and instead spend time criticizing and scrutinizing every little thing. I just sit back and enjoy the show. There are obvious exceptions to this, such as clearly terrible acting, but for the most part unless you're a critic why must you criticize? Does that not just completely destroy the fun?

I know I'm probably wrong on this and I have shoddy reasoning, but the majority of movies/shows I've watched I have enjoyed and seldom find bad things and I just dislike this whole 'X movie sucks because of Y'