Sal's RuneScape Forum
Naota

Television & Movies Discussion Thread

so I'm annoyed at film reviews these days

how the fudge does pacific rim get like 70% on rotten tomatoes and gangster squad gets 35%????

i knew there was a shizzlety story to pacific rim going in, but i was looking for a great ride of epic 1337 battles, but nope it was boring as hell

fudgeing reiviews man, there always like "well in one scene the lighting was placed at 75 degrees while the shadows were cast at 77 degrees so that just ruind my whole experience 0/10"

fudge

the hobbit is a load of horsedung if you ask me

This isn't intended to be directly at you Egghe, more just a general rant:

Am I the only one who actually enjoys movies and shows? All the time I see people complaining about absolutely everything; from characters to plot, CGI (L0l) to setting, the list goes on. I feel like nobody really enjoys shows for what they are, an entertaining artform, and instead spend time criticizing and scrutinizing every little thing. I just sit back and enjoy the show. There are obvious exceptions to this, such as clearly terrible acting, but for the most part unless you're a critic why must you criticize? Does that not just completely destroy the fun?

I know I'm probably wrong on this and I have shoddy reasoning, but the majority of movies/shows I've watched I have enjoyed and seldom find bad things and I just dislike this whole 'X movie sucks because of Y'

dissing something makes you seem cool

often it's as simple as that

with concerts I see a n exact opposite reaction, concerts of "the big bands" are almost always reviewed as 'super' even if they suck ass

there you have the "superband X can't do anything wrong" mentality

I hardly ever still check movie reviews nowadays, only if it's an in dept review which explains what the movie is about and how it's told it's useful to me

then I can make my own conclusions whether I should go see it or not

the hobbit I only went to see because I had free tickets

For the wolf of wallstreet i paid full price

Edited by Egghebrecht

Am I the only one who thinks the Hobbit (so far) is better than the LOTR? I watched the last LOTR movie not too long ago and thought it was way too corny.

the hobbit is a load of horsedung if you ask me

fast paced action shot, short dialogue, way too long fast paced action shot, some dialogue, fast paced action, dialogue, horribly logn and stupid 3d action show off (barrel scene), some dialogue...

the only 2 good scenes in the whole second hobbit movie were the discussion between the Wood Elf King and the dwarf Leader and the verbal sparring between Bilbo and Smaug

the big difference between the LOTR movies and the hobbit movies is that the lotr ones had a story to tell...

I didn't really see it that way, although I suppose you are correct in that maybe the story wasn't superb. I felt like I was going on an adventure more than I was hearing a telling of a story. I'd have to watch it again and pay careful attention to what you are talking about to fully understand what you are saying though.

I actually largely agree with the viewers, although not always.

I finally got to finishing Breaking bad, pretty epic ending if anyone knows of any good shows hit me up :>

top of the lake (new miniseries)

Carnivàle (best series since twin peaks and almost as weird)

Fringe (great entertainment)

Deadwood (fantastic first 2 seasons, deteriorates after)

I finally got to finishing Breaking bad, pretty epic ending if anyone knows of any good shows hit me up :>

sons of anarchy is way to go now man

Just finished the season 6 finale.

Wow.

What movie do you chaps think is going to win best picture? This American Hustle movie is getting lots of hype although I can't vouch for it since I have not seen it.

I liked American Hustle along with all of O'Russell's movies, but I have this gut feeling 12 Years a Slave will win. Even though I haven't seen the latter.

Just finished the season 6 finale.

Wow.

yh man, definitely! will be interesting to see how the last season unfolds

So I've started watching Parks and Recreations. It starts off abit dry in Season 1 but really does pick up on Season 2. If you were a fan of The Office and that style of humour, I highly recommend it.

For those who enjoy a good political comedy, I suggest Alpha House from Amazon. You can find a bootleg streaming version of it in other sites. Really funny with fast paced and relevant humour and political references. If you enjoyed Veep then you'll enjoy Alpha House.

The Oscars are coming up soon. My only comment on that is 12 Years A Slave deserves Best Picture more than any other movie. Having seen Gravity, American Hustle, and 12 Years, I can say 12 Years was the best of the three (which are the main competitors I believe). It was amazing.

Also, this trailer came out, and I am stoked. Read/loved the book, no shame.

^ they picked a good One Republic song for the trailer. Will consider seeing it when it comes out.

Not a fan of the book so I probably won't see the movie.

The Oscars are coming up soon. My only comment on that is 12 Years A Slave deserves Best Picture more than any other movie. Having seen Gravity, American Hustle, and 12 Years, I can say 12 Years was the best of the three (which are the main competitors I believe). It was amazing.

Also, this trailer came out, and I am stoked. Read/loved the book, no shame.

The acting and intense story behind 12 Years earned it Best Picture in my book. Then again, Lincoln should have won last year with it's acting and plot but lost out to Argo so I won't be surprised if Gravity takes it. <_<

And there isn't any shame with loving the book man. It was just amazing and I hope the movie turns out well. John Green was behind the scenes during the filming and screenplay writing though so I have faith.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Lol, that is a bit off :P.

Gravity did not win best picture as I predicted in September. Boo hoo.

Damn I'm almost caught up with The Walking Dead.

I'm also caught up with Arrow (best show evar)

Oh and for some weird reason I'll never know, I started watching Vampire Diaries. Its pretty good except for the love parts.

Oh and still a better love story than twilight.

Started watching Suits.

Really good I must say.

Just saw Shawshank redemption for the first time. Good movie. With Stephen King writing it I thought there would be some supernatural element, but nope.

Just saw Shawshank redemption for the first time. Good movie. With Stephen King writing it I thought there would be some supernatural element, but nope.

Well,

thanks for the spoiler.

Who has watched Frozen?

I didn't spoil anything. It would be like me saying In the Land Before Time they don't go to the moon.