Sal's RuneScape Forum
Naota

Television & Movies Discussion Thread

Oh man, give Guardians of the Galaxy another shot. When I saw the trailers I thought it was the dumbest looked movie in the world, and only against my will did I watch it one night with a group of friends. I was still pretty opposed to it at first, but after the intro it actually gets really, really good. I'd try to give it a bit more time, you might be surprised like I was!

Marvel superhero movies to me never have been anything great. Feels like a generic action movie with some witty dialogue and nothing else. The only Marvel superhero movie I enjoyed was the first Captain America, probably because I thought it was a clever take on 1940s war movies. Critically acclaimed Marvel movies such as Iron Man and The Avengers didn't seem to be anything special.

15 minutes you don't get to see anything cool what the heck Egg lol

I don't want to see cool I want see good

the acting was horrible, the dialogue retarded, the comic relief so cliché it makes Laurel & hardy look brand new and the whole was cheesy with extra special effects

terrible

guess it's mainly the option to turn it off and the fact that you don't pay for it as in a ticket that makes me turn them off isntead of keeping watching if it bores me but still

it's crap

egghe just getting old he dont wanna see no dumb movies!!

True Detective season 2 looking like it's going to be pretty sweet, if any of y'all haven't seen the first season then I recommend you start with this season (season 1 is a completely dif. story/characters so you won't miss anything)

egghe just getting old he dont wanna see no dumb movies!!

on another note a recent blockbuster that to my suprise was quite good was "the hunger games"

I had avoided it for a long time since I thought it to be another stupid american rip off of a foreign concept (battle royal)

watched it at home with the significant other because it's quite popular with her pupils at school

now to wait until part 2 is on netflix :P

(and hope it stays on level)

I have the Hunger Games, but Ironically, I have not really had the desire to watch it because I love Battle Royale, and I have feared they neutered the concept.

I guess I should give it an honest chance somewhere down the road and watch it then, even if I am hesitant.

That said, when it comes to the Marvel Universe, I think they make a lot of subpar movies in general.

I liked Captain America, pretty much loved Captain America 2: Winter Soldier, found Avengers to be very entertaining (though not necessarily a piece of art), found Iron Man to be okay, but generally disliked the Thor movies as well as Iron Man 2 and 3. I have not seen Avengers 2: Age of Ultron, but regardless... I found the Avengers brand to create a lot of bad movies. I have been more fond of the X-Men/Wolverine brand, if I am to be perfectly honest.

As for Guardians of the Galaxy.. eh, it had some good parts, some very good parts, and a lot of stuff that was pretty boring and following traditional tropes which ended up boring me. I think the problem was that I saw it directly after I saw Edge of Tomorrow, so I guess I was a bit let down. It was not a bad movie, and it was entertaining enough, but it just did not feel very fresh. :/

^I agree with the X-Men movies part actually; sometimes it's easy to forget they're part of the Marvel Universe because they do nothing with anybody else.

Edited by Sobend

^I agree with the X-Men movies part actually; sometimes it's easy to forget they're part of the Marvel Universe because they do nothing with anybody else.

which is odd and will probably change soon considering the fact that magneto's children are part of the avengers (in the movie version too I presume)

It is because Marvel is actively blocking use of X-Men due to FOX having the film rights for them alongside Spiderman and Fantastic Four. :P

I just watched the entire first season of Fresh of the Boat. It's a funny and quirky. Very relatable to people folks who grew up in Asian households like yours truly. I highly recommend.

I have the Hunger Games, but Ironically, I have not really had the desire to watch it because I love Battle Royale, and I have feared they neutered the concept.

It's a PG-13 version of Battle Royal. I suspect they toned down on the violence to keep that rating to be able to draw in the teen target audience. The scenes cut away before we see anything truly disturbing.

I disagree with your assessment of Guardians. I thought that it was a very witty and entertaining movie. That and I have a huge man-crush of Chris Pratt. ^_^ I look forward to the sequel.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I just watched the entire first season of Fresh of the Boat. It's a funny and quirky. Very relatable to people folks who grew up in Asian households like yours truly. I highly recommend.

It's a PG-13 version of Battle Royal. I suspect they toned down on the violence to keep that rating to be able to draw in the teen target audience. The scenes cut away before we see anything truly disturbing.

I disagree with your assessment of Guardians. I thought that it was a very witty and entertaining movie. That and I have a huge man-crush of Chris Pratt. ^_^ I look forward to the sequel.

That makes sense. One can say a lot of things about Battle Royale, but it certainly was not intended for younger audiences. The violence is honestly not a big deal, but I think the plot and underlying themes would be way too complex for teenagers to really fathom. Well, the majority of them, anyway. :P

As for Guardians... Oh, I said it was entertaining and it did have good and great parts, but I just felt that it shared the same issue as most Marvel movies does: It ends up being very predictable in the end. I only wish they could mix up the formula more when doing movies. :/

(I suppose that is why I took a liking to Captain America: It really does not follow much of a pattern, and thus those movies feel fresher than Iron Man and Thor. Especially Thor.)

Edited by Yuanrang

Just finished watching Wilfred US (loved it! the comedy + dark/depressive tone combination was great), also saw the short film and didn't like it as much, is the aussie original worth checking out?

There's this really great movie I just watched called 'What We Do In The Shadows'. It's basically a comedy mockumentary about a group of vampires living in a flat in New Zealand. it's a blend intelligent humour and whimsy and probably the funniest film of the year. It really deserves more praise and it'll have you laughing out load during the whole film.

i dont think I've posted here b4 idk why

um

parks and rec finally got round to watching it just upset i didn't watch it sooner

finished it and honestly its #1 on list of tv shows

brooklyn 99 is funny can't w8 for season 3

I've seen Daredevil on Netflix and its amazing! I can't wait for the next season :)

I've seen Daredevil on Netflix and its amazing! I can't wait for the next season :)

yeah it was refreshing to see actual character depth in a comic superhero adaption

Anyone who hasn't watched 'Your Name is / 'Kimi no Na wa' better do it now. A cinematic masterpiece. Anime at it's very best. Totally left me speechless and beaming with delight. Engaging plot, charming character and beautiful animation.

Rogue One was okay. It was a decent time at the cinema but nothing really special.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Anyone who hasn't watched 'Your Name is / 'Kimi no Na wa' better do it now. A cinematic masterpiece. Anime at it's very best. Totally left me speechless and beaming with delight. Engaging plot, charming character and beautiful animation.

never heard of it, had to look it up, i'll put it on my list of things worth watching

The new Park Chan-Wook is the first thing making me wanting to go to cinema's in over a year

So, how did everyone who still checks Sal's feel about Endgame?