Sal's RuneScape Forum
Naota

Television & Movies Discussion Thread

Anyone got any good suggestions for a TV Series I could get into? I like a lot of different things. So just tell me anything you enjoyed and I'll see if I like it.

I will most likely be streaming on the internet, netflix, or recording on my Dish DVR.

I'll read through the topic to look at anything I find interesting.

And if anyone would be kind enough to post a short description about said TV Show/Movie because that really helps.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm from the US, but I'm open to anything.

2nd EDIT: Might as well contribute due to the fact I'm asking. I found The Next 3 Days good. It's about a man whose wife gets framed for murder so he breaks her out of jail. It's a good thriller. I usually just get things from a Redbox nearby so I'm a little late. Also Law Abiding Citizen, also a thriller. Robbers kill his wife/daughter and he feels they don't get what they deserve, and the law system is corrupt. So he takes things into his own hands and kills a lot of people. It's really clever how he goes about it though.

Edited by amJordan

Watch Source Code, amazing movie. Out of thrillers it blew my mind more than inception, and it has about one thousandth of the hype, hence i hated inception for my lack of amusement for all my anticipation.

I just saw the last episode of Dexter, Season 4. (Getting Season 5 now)

Is the last thing that happens (trying to not spoil this) real? The "blood bath" *wink wink*?

Was it a dream or was it reality?

Oh, that was definitely real. You can always rely on Dexter for shock value...

Anyone got any good suggestions for a TV Series I could get into? I like a lot of different things. So just tell me anything you enjoyed and I'll see if I like it.

I will most likely be streaming on the internet, netflix, or recording on my Dish DVR.

Breaking Bad, the best drama on TV at the moment. It's about a high school chemistry teacher who finds out he has lung cancer and starts producing meth with a former student to provide for his family.

Watch Source Code, amazing movie. Out of thrillers it blew my mind more than inception, and it has about one thousandth of the hype, hence i hated inception for my lack of amusement for all my anticipation.

That's in Theatres right?

I just saw the last episode of Dexter, Season 4. (Getting Season 5 now)

Is the last thing that happens (trying to not spoil this) real? The "blood bath" *wink wink*?

Was it a dream or was it reality?

Oh, that was definitely real. You can always rely on Dexter for shock value...

Breaking Bad, the best drama on TV at the moment. It's about a high school chemistry teacher who finds out he has lung cancer and starts producing meth with a former student to provide for his family.

Alright I'll check it out. It's not on Netflix Instant but I could probably find a good site for streaming.

Ellen degeneres

ellen degeneres

swag

she makes all other shows look bad

I'm getting really annoyed that they keep airing reruns of Community instead of new episodes. :D

Edited by Samsara

"My fellow Americans". My Government class watched it, and I found it funny :(

I also recommend the Bourne trilogy series...quite interesting :D

Just finished The West Wing not too long ago, it was far more enjoyable than I expected. I've been trying to find some current TV shows to pay attention to, but apart from a couple of weekly shows I'm interested in, I seem to be stuck looking for older shows because they have the quantity of content availible to watch through + easier to assess quality. :D

Just came back from Source Code.

Good acting, good twists, good story. Comes together for a pretty good movie. Go watch it. :D

Somebody brought it up today. What's it about?

Also anyone got any good space movies? Moon, star wars, 2001 are my favorites. I love space and science movies.

Just finished The West Wing not too long ago, it was far more enjoyable than I expected. I've been trying to find some current TV shows to pay attention to, but apart from a couple of weekly shows I'm interested in, I seem to be stuck looking for older shows because they have the quantity of content availible to watch through + easier to assess quality. :D

What's The West Wing like? I'm considering watching either that or The Wire.

What's The West Wing like? I'm considering watching either that or The Wire.

It's basically a show based on a fictional US government and how American Politics (within that fictional timeline) are being made. :(

It's basically a political drama, but it ended up being far more entertaining than I had assumed.

Good acting, good twists, good story. Comes together for a pretty good movie. Go watch it. :D

Also anyone got any good space movies? Moon, star wars, 2001 are my favorites. I love space and science movies.

It's about a guy who can be sent back in time for 8 minutes to see what happened before the bomb explosion on a train, revealing any more than that would ruin the plot.

Also

-Pandorum

-Event Horizon

-Lost in Space

are decent sci fi's. Also equilibrium and aeon flux if you're into that kind of idea.

Edited by F2P Nate

It's about a guy who can be sent back in time for 8 minutes to see what happened before the bomb explosion on a train, revealing any more than that would ruin the plot.

Also

-Pandorum

-Event Horizon

-Lost in Space

are decent sci fi's. Also equilibrium and aeon flux if you're into that kind of idea.

Source Code is by Duncan Jones too (who did Moon and came from David Bowie's balls).

I love Event Horizon. Not really a space film, but if you haven't seen it then watch Sphere.

Good acting, good twists, good story. Comes together for a pretty good movie. Go watch it. :(

Also

-Pandorum

-Event Horizon

-Lost in Space

Source Code is by Duncan Jones too (who did Moon and came from David Bowie's balls).

I love Event Horizon. Not really a space film, but if you haven't seen it then watch Sphere.

Ya there really is no reason why you shouldn't see it. Go. Now.

Also, if you don't mind a rocky beginning check out the TV show Firefly. It's basically a western in space :D

It's on Netflix so enjoy it when you can.

I'll check out Source Code. Event Horizon and Sphere look a little...silly tbh. :D And rotten tomatoes seems to hate them. ;-;

Firefly looks like a trying-too-hard star trek. Plus it has the guy from Castle and I just can't take him seriously. Maybe the commercials on the Science Channel don't do the show justice. I'll grab the first episode just to see if I like it and if I do I'll watch the rest.

You really shouldn't focus too much on reviews. I've seen a lot of horribly rated movies that was plainly brilliant but misunderstood or not properly judged. The problem is, I've seen a lot of horrible movies that was rightly rated as well, but meh.'

Sphere wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't super awesome to be a must-see.

I don't watch TV at all becuse I didn't have one for 3 years and got used to never using it. I do watch Glee online and would recommend it to anyone. :D

There's quite a few movies I like (old and new pinkpanthers are funny and I would recommend) but besides the obvious (like starwars) I'd definitely recommend Stalingrad (german with english subs) which is a warfilm about the collapse of the Germans in Russia and the strange attachment you get to some german soldiers.

Yeah, I don't have a TV either. I watch TV about... 1 hour each month (2x 30 minutes every second week when I'm back at my family's place), otherwise I'm okay without since I have my laptop for movies and TV series and no real wish to be bound by airing schedules. :D

Speaking of old war movies: "The Guns of Navarone" might not be obvious and is worth looking into. :(

Does "The Last of the Mohicans" count as an old war movie? It's basically a thinking man's action movie set in the middle of the French and Indian War.

Does "The Last of the Mohicans" count as an old war movie? It's basically a thinking man's action movie set in the middle of the French and Indian War.

I was about to say no, but then I remember it's from the early 90ies which makes it nearly 20 years old, so I guess it's an old war movie in a way. Although, by old, I mean anything before 1980. :D

I'll check out Source Code. Event Horizon and Sphere look a little...silly tbh. :D And rotten tomatoes seems to hate them. ;-;

Firefly looks like a trying-too-hard star trek. Plus it has the guy from Castle and I just can't take him seriously. Maybe the commercials on the Science Channel don't do the show justice. I'll grab the first episode just to see if I like it and if I do I'll watch the rest.

Event Horizon is definitely a "cult following" kinda film. I think it's cool though, and Sam Neill is a total dude.

Highly highly highly recommend Dexter to anyone who enjoys crime dramas/humor. The first two seasons are on Netflix.

Also, Lie to Me. I love that show.

As for movies, how does everyone feel about Paranormal Activity 1 & 2?