Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Riddick

Rap Topic

Has anyone heard of Childish Gambino?

He's the black guy on Community, and he raps.

His lyrics are really good.

That was surprisingly pretty good.

Yup.

His lyrics aren't really deep or anything close, but the way he presents them is just so damn clever.

I'm really liking the quirky guys who have been getting big lately like Odd Future and Lil B. Feels like it could be the beginning of a new age of hip hop.

Other guys I've been liking recently are Curren$y and Freddie Gibbs, and of course older stuff that everybody knows/has been mentioned already

Oh and I saw Wu-Tang live in January. Fun stuff.

That was pretty good, but his lyrics don't seem too original.

Speaking of concerts...

rootspicnic2011.jpg

roots picnic is the deal, and last years was great. I think i like last years choice of artists more than this years though but it should still be great

Edited by Doom

I don't care about his lyrics. The flow was good and his beat was good.

Good post man.

Does Giggs count? Giggs and Skepta(More of his older songs) for me

Skepta and Giggs are more towards the Grime side of things methinks, although generally speaking I prefer grime to rap anyway, some of Skepta's old material is pretty decent, although it started to go downhill with Microphone Champion and now it's just mainstream garbage. Most of Giggs stuff is alright too.

Edited by Toad

Good post man.

I did notice something though "squash the beat right now like sausages"....

I don't know where you get the idea good lyrics from, they're sewn together well i'll grant that but by way of actually meaning something i think he's going more for the flow of the lyrics than anything else.

Good post man.

I don't know where you get the idea good lyrics from, they're sewn together well i'll grant that but by way of actually meaning something i think he's going more for the flow of the lyrics than anything else.

"E.E. Cummings on her face, now that's poetry in motion"

"Took the g out your waffle, all you got left is your Ego"

"And my clique make that De Niro so it’s time to meet the fockers"

I think they're clever.

Does anyone here listen to

Dessa goes sooooooooooooo hard in this track.

Edited by Ramon

BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Meh, Wiz Khalifa doesn't impress me. Then again mainstream rap doesn't impress me much at all now that I know of RA The Rugged Man, Jedi Mind Tricks, and Army Of The Pharoahs.

Drake (before he went mainstream)

That is indie

I'm talking about after he got signed on with Young Money, but before he hit the radio. Stuntin' and Ransom are a few examples.

That is indie

I'm talking about after he got signed on with Young Money, but before he hit the radio. Stuntin' and Ransom are a few examples.

sry i dont see the difference really

I like De La Soul, N.W.A, Notorious B.I.G, Wu-Tang Clan and Odd Future.

That is indie

sry i dont see the difference really

I agree i don't see the difference either, there really isn't one. Drake sounds the same now as he always has, just that at one point he wasn't known, and then he was, i don't think that merits a sub-genre title.

Good post man.

I think they're clever.

Mmm...i mean sure but i have heard significantly better. I heard the de niro comparison from "The Mexican" starring brad pitt.

I don't know, maybe i'm expecting a bit too much from todays music.

Good post man.

I think they're clever.

Mmm...i mean sure but i have heard significantly better. I heard the de niro comparison from "The Mexican" starring brad pitt.

I'm with you on him not being absolutely fantastic. His flow was nice and the beat was cool but overall I felt like it was the same punchline rap formula everyone seems to think they need these days.

Also, his voice was the most irritating thing I've heard since Wayne.

I'ts a dead genre to me these days

I resent that statement. There are plenty of artists that are doing amazing things with the genre; taking the mainstream image as the sole representation of Hip Hop is incredibly short-sighted.

Good post man.

I think they're clever.

I'm with you on him not being absolutely fantastic. His flow was nice and the beat was cool but overall I felt like it was the same punchline rap formula everyone seems to think they need these days.

I resent that statement. There are plenty of artists that are doing amazing things with the genre; taking the mainstream image as the sole representation of Hip Hop is incredibly short-sighted.

I really can't see your vision.

For me all i see is mainstream bubblegum hip hop, or these "underground" artists (oh i love that meaningless term) who sound like theyve spent 90% of their time searching a thesaurus for new ways to say old shizzle, and the other 10% of that time advocating just how non-mainstream they are, that is until they get a taste of power and sell-out.

Good post man.

I think they're clever.

I really can't see your vision.

For me all i see is mainstream bubblegum hip hop, or these "underground" artists (oh i love that meaningless term) who sound like theyve spent 90% of their time searching a thesaurus for new ways to say old shizzle, and the other 10% of that time advocating just how non-mainstream they are, that is until they get a taste of power and sell-out.

Then you haven't searched enough, to put it frankly. I'll list the artists I posted before just to show a very small amount of the high-quality artists you could find: Camp Lo, Cannibal Ox, Deltron 3030, JR Swinga, Exile, Little Brother, MF DOOM, Mos Def, Quasimoto & Solillaquists of Sound, not to mention ones I didn't mention like Aloe Blacc, Q-Tip, The Roots & Sound Providers. Nas was a fudgeing fool, tool, and muppetbag when he said that Hip Hop was dead, and undercut any artists making an effort by saying so. Ironically, anyone who agrees with this statement only shows their own obsession with the mainstream they hate so much. That's the only reason it would be a focal point in their opinion on the current status of the genre.

You complain about mainstream hip hop when they are merely reiterating what your precious old school artists were saying back in the 90s. You're mad at "empty" gangbanging lyrics from Waka Flocka or Young Jeezy, but love the same exact themes from Tupac or Snoop. You condescend to people who like the mafioso rap lyrics from artists like Rick Ross, but wet your pants at the same themes from Notorious. I find it funny that you'd even include Jay-Z in your hallowed collection of rappers, since he hasn't changed his subject matter at all (which isn't all that wholesome or "classic" in the first place) and is STILL relevant in mainstream media.

I'd contend that you like the old style of music and since it conveniently fits in with that "hip hop is dead" image that's so popular among hip hop "fans" these days, you chase that ideology as well in order to fit in and seem more conscious.

So what if the mainstream scene isn't wholesome and "thoughtful"? It can be argued that it hasn't been that way since groups like N.W.A. or the Dogg Pound hit the radio. The thing is that music is a subjective art form. People still enjoy what plays on the radio today. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean the genre is dead.

I'm just sayin again, RA The Rugged Man is ridiculous. And Army Of The Pharaohs and Jedi Mind Tricks (as much as they collaborate >.>) ain't half bad neither.

*cough* see first post i made

blu,az,brother ali, and shad have great beats and samples as well as nice lyrics

edit: for childish gambino, his voice is a little annoying(i'm not surprised since i've heard his normal voice on community) but its just fun listening

Edited by Doom

Why do most of the people who claim that they listen to "underground" rap hate Kid Cudi? In my opinion, he has some pretty good songs, and his lyrics aren't horrible. Is it just because he's mainstream so that automatically makes him bad?