Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Toon

A Touchy Issue.

Offence is taken, not given. If the guy didn't take offence, there is nothing wrong.

~Razorlike

Touche.

I honestly view words as words. I'll say whatever comes to mind. If people take offense, well that's on them and how they react to it is on them as well.

seems like most all rap has the N word in it and they use it reffering to themselve :D fun thought. At my college probabaly an even mix of all racsis. When Im with my Asian friends Ive heard them mae cracks about us white kids, likewise Ive seen my white pals say rascit things then my south american pals doing the gangster pride thi ng. Fact is, all races are going to poke fun at others, may not be right/wrong, but it happens and you have to deal with it. Blowing it up into a huge issue just makes it worse.. Also, context! take huckelbarry fin, i really doubt that Twain was trying to slam blacks when he used that word, and I think most realize that. On the other hand the guy who uses it for the intent of being mean, but then you must ask oneself, why do people get more upset over that as oppesed to calling same person a "F" head. In summary, its no different than the myraid of other profane words etc except that it has received a lot of media attention which has made it somewhat taboo

An educational video on offense and sensitivity (LANGUAGE WARNING):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIvk1zrQng8

Instead of censoring everyone who says offensive things and teaching them sensitivity, let's teach insensitivity to people who get offended by such things. As they say in the video, it's cheaper and easier to build yourself a shield than to control everyone else.

seems like most all rap has the N word in it and they use it reffering to themselve :D

So all rappers are black? Racist love-child.

as george carlin once said it's the "intent behind the word"

it's all about context and your intentions

@above, most are

Edited by mad max

My general rule is don't use it. I think it is ridiculous how there is a double standard with the n-word, but in this case, I don't think it's a fight worth fighting. This reminds me of Dr. Laura, who dropped it on air. When I first heard the tape, I was thinking "you mad, sis?"

I don't see any reason to use the word. There are racist connotations, and even if they're in the past, it is the history of the word. That may not completely be the case nowadays, but some people do still take offense and there really is no reason to use it. Is it just one of those things young kids really want to do? There's no benefit.

Offence is taken, not given. If the guy didn't take offence, there is nothing wrong.

~Razorlike

One of the wisest things I've read.

I'm actually black in real life. I kind of do take offense. Not just because it's a racist term but it's also an insult. It's like calling someone inferior or ignorant. And I think that's one of the things that bothers me more. Also if someone white were to say it, to me it just sounds dumb. As in they just sound ridiculous saying it. It's more of something annoying like why the hell would you say that because you sound like such an idiot lol.

So there are a few situations, I feel that are different. One for instance is a black to black usage. Which I find okay, it's demeaning but it's become more of like a word (in this type of situation) like homey, or bro, etc. And remember this is calling someone this word.

Then theres someone who isn't black calling a black person this word. I find it offensive, just because it's mostly directed towards race. Then theres the second definition that deals with being inferior.

After that theres just using the word. I found now that people use it in frustration or anger like they'd use the F word. It's not as offensive as calling someone this, but it's still uncomfortable. Just because if I were to be around (being black) and someone says that. People expect me to either get mad and start a fight, or to just brush it off.

If I were to think of maybe another scenario, would be just two people who aren't black calling another the N word. For me I just think it's dumb. Mostly because they sound stupid.

I'm not sure if there are any other Blacks/African Americans/etc. (I'm personally Jamaican) that are on Sals. But I'd like there input. I live in Montana, in a semi rural city so I don't often see many other blacks around. I probably only know of about maybe 20 at the most who live within 30 miles.

Wish I could tl;dr this.

I'm saying this.

All "bad" words are only bad if someone thinks it is bad in their mind.

I take no offence when offensive language is used, yet my sister will. It all has to do with your mindset.

~Razorlike

I don't understand how you can say that. I could swear at you every word under the moon for an hour, and you're saying there's nothing wrong with that? Of course there is! Whether he took offence to it or not, it's still rude, and it is wrong and derogatory.

Edited by Yero2000

When a white guy says it they just look stupid anyway.

I have some black friends and they said in a rough quote: "When white people use it to us, it is extremely offensive because it was used by your race as an insult when we were slaves and during the 60's and even now. When we say it to each other, it is another word for bro, or dude."

I don't know, I don't use the word and I don't like it being used by anyone.

~Razorlike

I don't understand how you can say that. I could swear at you every word under the moon for an hour, and you're saying there's nothing wrong with that? Of course there is! Whether he took offence to it or not, it's still rude, and it is wrong and derogatory.

Rude, wrong, and derogatory though it may be, is it really offensive until someone in the area actually takes offense?

Remember, if you're swearing "every word under the moon" at somebody, they're MOST LIKELY going to take offense.

In my opinion the only time something should be considered offensive is when it is used in an offensive way. I might greet my black friend by saying, "What's up my n*****?" or something along those lines obviously using the "N" word in placement of the word "brother" or "friend" or "pal" and later after a fight with the same black I might use the same word in a derogatory or belittling manner. Words are only offensive if they are interpreted that way. Unless it is obvious that I'm using the term or another other term interpreted as offensive offensively it shouldn't be considered offensive. (Damn, that last sentence had a lot of "offensive"'s in it.

seems like most all rap has the N word in it and they use it reffering to themselve :D

So all rappers are black? Racist love-child.

Plenty of white and Hispanic rappers use the term aswellm, also he said most, refering to the majority of rap artists who are for a fact black

Personally I don't use terms like this because they're not necessary, if you know it might offend someone use a different word, it doesn't matter why they're getting offended or if you think that it's offensive, just use a different word,

Edited by Joyful Lemon

Anyone here read or watch The Boondocks?

(some) Americans are really funny. They don't even like saying "black", scared of offending someone, so they say "African-American" instead, especially in reference to distinguished persons like their President. The best bit is when they try and use it to refer to blacks of other nationalities. What about Nelson Mandela or Kwame Nkrumah? Are they African-African? Or Chiwetel Ejiofor? Is he African-European? Or James Baldwin -- an African-American-European? Most black people in the United States have probably never been to Africa, but there are immigrants from Africa who are white or Indian, who are more African-American than people referred to as such.

Why say the word anyway? Just doesn't seem necessary.

Edited by Traviesa

It just means the guy had a sense of humour.

The N word was just another word in other countries to refer to people. Actually, African American was the term used to describe the slaves from africa who were taken into america when america was into slavery, meaning the N word isn't as insulting. START THE DEBATE NOW

As with all language, it depends entirely on semantics and intents.

There are plenty of people who get offended by a word, irrespective of it's use or meaning.

I don't think this is an appropriate view to have, a word is an inanimate concept of communication.

To be offended by a word without considering the definite context and meaning is dumb.

I think if the person using the word used it in an offensive way and intended to do so then it is offensive.

If the person didn't use it in an offensive way and didn't intend it to be so, then it isn't.