Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Eye

The Debate Room

The Debate Room. What really, is the point? I think it's fair to say that very few people have their opinion swayed in a Debate in the Debate Room, and I think it's also fair to say that for a lot of the time, people are really only seeking others to agree with their opinions.

Why is that? Is this something because of human nature, or is this the specific demographic of Sals? [Young teens - young adults.. mostly males.. ridiculously stubborn.. :D]

What do you guys think?

Is this something because of human nature, or is this the specific demographic of Sals?

Human nature. All it takes to confirm that is a cursory glance into the world of politics.

I'm actually seeking people to disagree with my opinion, so I can argue with them for hours on end. :D

I think the best answer to this thread would be to create a "Proof Of God" thread and see how people's ideas are swayed and then come to a conclus...

wait

In seriousness, my views on the death penalty were swayed by a debate on Sal's, and I changed my position completely.

My opinions are rarely swayed here, but that's because my opinions are usually carefully considered before I enter here. I find this an interesting place to hear others views, though I generally disagree with most of them.

When I first came into the Debate Room, I was inexperienced and quite noob-ish. I was naive in my opinions, and debating with some pretty experienced forumers back in the day definitely reshaped my opinions or solidified them. I honestly believe that this forum helped bring me to actually think about and consider how I view certain people and issues. (It seems to work, too, as I'm going to the national speech tournament for debate :D ).

On top of that, debating is incredibly fun when not done in excess (Proof of God topic l0lz).

I generally enjoy arguing with the highly liberal members on here, especially the ones who don't know as much as I do. Especially since some people here are not "mature" politically and very idealistic.

There's also the occasional idiot/fanatic, and it's fun debunking such a person's claims, only to have them come back and try again.

Edited by theking1322

In seriousness, my views on the death penalty were swayed by a debate on Sal's, and I changed my position completely.

lilshu changed my opinion on gay marriage in combination with Aquinas.

Evin290 changed my opinion on homosexuality way back in the day. I've also become a lot more generally tolerant since I started debating here.

Anyway, this is a great place to learn about controversial issues and to have your perspectives challenged.

Some people take differing opinions (even with reasonable arguments) as threats.

I really don't think this is true. Do you have any facts to support this claim?

Furthermore, are you threating me???? :D

It's cool to hear other people's opinions. Some people almost changed some of my opinions on some subjects, but then when I was in the real world I realized that what I had been experiencing personally relating to the subjects was much more accurate than what they were saying.

If that makes sense. I'm sure everyone has their opinions for a reason and a lot of times they've got great facts to present them, but personal experiences with the situations trumps someone's opinion. Especially someone who doesn't know where you're coming from, your exact situation, or your beliefs.

Scientific debates are cool. There was talk about the space shuttle here that was great because there's just facts being presented. But when you start debating like civil rights, you're getting more into throwing around opinions. Nothing wrong with that, but it's just an opinion that doesn't hold much ground without something to base it off of that isn't what they "feel."

Edited by redmonke

I'm actually seeking people to disagree with my opinion, so I can argue with them for hours on end. :D
We tried it, it didn't work! :(.

Hm. I think it depends on the topic. Personally, I think with topics such as homosexual marriage, abortion, ect. it's absolutely pointless if not completely annoying to read those threads. Everyone has their opinion on those types of issues and even if you have more facts/data to support your opinion then a person with the opposite opinion chances are you're not going to make them change their opinion on the topic and if anything will end up face-palming on every one of those threads. I used to post on threads like that and until about a year ago when I began maturing I would just end up muttering swears about the "idiots" with opinions different then mine.

That being said I think other threads, such as all the new/active threads currently in "The Debate Room" not being such MAJOR issues are completely fine to debate about. I've gone into those threads with one perspective and come out of it with a completely different one. Even if my opinion didn't change I still find out why others may not agree with my opinion.

Well, the name of the Debate Room itself is misleading. I've been on another forum where they had a similar place, and it was called Discussion & Debate. A lot of times, that's sort of what it just boils down to. Someone presents a topic, and people shake it up and down .. looking for a new angle.

Like, I posted a topic about texting and driving. No one really stepped up with -- hey! This should be allowed! What's wrong with it? because, well. It'd be like writing a persuasive paper on the bad habits of smoking. You don't need to tell people that smoking is bad for them.

They already have the idea.

Ha. So yeah. I'm guilty of doing what the OP said, sort of just posting something and seeing what people have to go along with. But I do have to agree with some of the other thing said, as well. Rarely do people post here with the intent of actually changing someone else's mind; it's just way of spreading worldview.

I've definitely learned a lot more respect for people's views in certain subjects since posting in here.

It's rare that I change my mind, I can't think of examples but I think I have at some point or another.

It's an interesting place, albeit not one I frequently venture into.

It's quite daunting yet a fun experience, because there are so many great people who can completely decimate an argument in this forum and make you respect them for it :D

Rarely do people post here with the intent of actually changing someone else's mind; it's just way of spreading worldview.

EXACTLY! I also think it's just sort of human nature to want your opinion to be agreed with worldwide or atleast heard by people.

I found myself shaking my head and hyperventilating as I read the 1st page of posts...