Sal's RuneScape Forum
Joyful Lemon

Metal Thread

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Time by Wintersun will actually be released this year?

• Yes
    • No

Time to change the poll, don't you guys think?

Btw, Time I was epic.

Edited by Javisnake

Started listening to this band, don't know how to describe them besides heavy metal, they have this power metal feel but at the same time they sound a lot like thrash metal

I consider Iced Earth heavy metal. Not really thrash, not really power. They're kinda like Judas Priest.

I consider Iced Earth heavy metal. Not really thrash, not really power. They're kinda like Judas Priest.

Somewhat in the same vein as another awesome band, methinks

Somewhat in the same vein as another awesome band, methinks

They call themselves sludge metal.... what even is that?

I have one album by them (Snakes of the Divine). I've never been too crazy about their stuff but some of it is pretty good.

They call themselves sludge metal.... what even is that? I have one album by them (Snakes of the Divine). I've never been too crazy about their stuff but some of it is pretty good.

Their album "Death Is This Communion" is pretty epic as well - if I recall correctly, sludge metal is like slower thrash with lower tunings, or something of that nature.

They call themselves sludge metal.... what even is that? I have one album by them (Snakes of the Divine). I've never been too crazy about their stuff but some of it is pretty good.

Their album "Death Is This Communion" is pretty epic as well - if I recall correctly, sludge metal is like slower thrash with lower tunings, or something of that nature.

Yeah I just read about it on wikipedia.... kinda like a heavy doom metal sound. I'll look up that album.

I don't really get sludge metal. Some of it's OK but I'll rather stick with doom, it's the best of both worlds, right?

Anyway. It's winter time again so black metal is my staple playlist for these frosty mornings. Behexen are worth checking out. As "underground metal" acts go there one of the best I've heard.

I don't really get sludge metal. Some of it's OK but I'll rather stick with doom, it's the best of both worlds, right?

Anyway. It's winter time again so black metal is my staple playlist for these frosty mornings. Behexen are worth checking out. As "underground metal" acts go there one of the best I've heard.

Coincidence that you just posted this; I came in here the other day hoping for some black metal recommendations. It seems to be the only sub-genre of metal that I actually like anymore.

Coincidence that you just posted this; I came in here the other day hoping for some black metal recommendations. It seems to be the only sub-genre of metal that I actually like anymore.

I'm actually trying to get more into black metal ^_^

Well, to get an idea of the culture, more specifically the Norwegian black metal culture (to be even more specific, the best black metal culture), I would recommend watching the documentary Until The Light Takes Us. It's on Netflix, and is really interesting. They interview Varg Vikernes, and he talks about his burning of churches and murdering Euronymous. It's really interesting to hear his side of the story; you can tell how acted out it is, which makes you question the validity of it. Nonetheless, you should really watch it.

Here's a couple songs that I really like. The first is more orthodox black metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPwOKohNY9s

Well, to get an idea of the culture, more specifically the Norwegian black metal culture (to be even more specific, the best black metal culture), I would recommend watching the documentary Until The Light Takes Us. It's on Netflix, and is really interesting. They interview Varg Vikernes, and he talks about his burning of churches and murdering Euronymous. It's really interesting to hear his side of the story; you can tell how acted out it is, which makes you question the validity of it. Nonetheless, you should really watch it.

Here's a couple songs that I really like. The first is more orthodox black metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPwOKohNY9s

Black metal bands? Here are some I like.

Mayhem, Immortal, Absu, Bathory, Darkthrone, Dissection, Coldworld, Enslaved.

Now Immortal are black metal but seem to be a like the more popular band of the genre. I like a few of there songs but most of it's a little cheesy.

Burzum is good, I like the soundscapes he creates within his music. Lost Wisdom or Key to the Gate are my favourite songs, there really raw. You can hear why he started to do more atmospheric stuff after the first two albums.

If you need more bands/albums/songs to listen to ask.

vadpv.jpg

Heh, most metal memes I see are the same repeated Nickelback/Creed/[insert generically hated band name here] bashing, this is a nice breath of fresh Internet air

Probably my favorite Iron Maiden song. Been listening to a decent bit of metal lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqmB1MY2sGE

Anyone here listen to Salt The Wound? Just started listening to them again; found them on my iTunes from my old computer. Apparently they've gotten back together since the last time I've given them a listen. I know you guys aren't big fans of deathcore, but it's worth a shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E9bmTXFuUs

Edited by Plasma

Once everyone returns to this thread after holiday festivities, everyone should go check out this here link:

http://dyptgripende.bandcamp.com/

A father-son experimental black metal project that I run with my dad just put up a demo song there.

Bathory, everday. All day.

If you agree you can be in my gang.

What albums are you guys looking forward to this year?

In no particular order, these are the bands who should be releasing new albums this year.

Mors Principium Est, Helloween, Stratovarius, Blind Guardian, Suffocation, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Amon Amarth, Arsis, Children of Bodom, DevilDriver, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Kalmah, Skeletonwitch, Warmen, Wintersun (Time II). Especially excited for the Bodom, Kalmah, In Flames, Skeletonwitch, and DevilDriver releases. But it's looking to be a great year.

Also for the Americans, the Mayhem lineup this year is looking pretty awesome. About 6 or 7 bands are rumored that I really want to see, including Fleshgod Apocalypse.

This thread shall now be ressurected in the name of... transcendental black metal any metal because almost all of it is good.

The new Gorguts abum, Colored Sands, is easily one of my favorite albums this year.

Another good album this year is Sunbather by Deafheaven. A lot of people fight over if it's real metal or not, I don't think it really matters to much.