Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chaos9999

Update In Israel-palestine Affairs

it is also a good step since it actually dares to criticize Israel too, which is important since they seem to feel themselves above the (international) law because of the unconditional support they have received over the years

Seeing as half the world is against Israel, I find this rather incredulous.

The United States are a very powerful ally of Isreal that defends them with our international weight (lol fat americans) when it comes to UN matters and such. There may be many people in the world who oppose the actions of Isreal, but when you're got the biggest bully on the block on your side it really doesn't matter much. :D

And when has America ever done anything recently to defend Israel? Let's take the instance of when several Israeli's attacked that ship. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do on their part, but did you see America sticking up for them? No, you didn't.

it is also a good step since it actually dares to criticize Israel too, which is important since they seem to feel themselves above the (international) law because of the unconditional support they have received over the years

The United States are a very powerful ally of Isreal that defends them with our international weight (lol fat americans) when it comes to UN matters and such. There may be many people in the world who oppose the actions of Isreal, but when you're got the biggest bully on the block on your side it really doesn't matter much. :D

And when has America ever done anything recently to defend Israel? Let's take the instance of when several Israeli's attacked that ship. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do on their part, but did you see America sticking up for them? No, you didn't.

did you see America suggesting measures like they did for Lybia, Iran, Cuba, North Korea etc etc etc...

did you see America suggesting measures like they did for Lybia, Iran, Cuba, North Korea etc etc etc...

Did you see America defending Israel, if they're such big 'allies'?

Bring back the Ottomans already.

We need a secular nation that unites a large part of the Middle East again so there's not constant genocide ._.

Yes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-blocks-r...ory?id=12952628

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel,_Pales...olicy_at_the_UN

The U.S. used its veto to protect Israel from over forty condemnatory Security Council resolutions;[98] almost all U.S. vetos cast since 1988 blocked resolutions against Israel, on the basis of their lack of condemnation of Palestinian terrorist groups, actions, and incitement. This policy, known as the Negroponte doctrine, has drawn both praise and criticism.[99][100]
UN diplomats have indicated that the United States would veto any unilateral attempt to declare a Palestinian state at the Security Council.[103]

Yes.

The U.S. used its veto to protect Israel from over forty condemnatory Security Council resolutions;[98] almost all U.S. vetos cast since 1988 blocked resolutions against Israel, on the basis of their lack of condemnation of Palestinian terrorist groups, actions, and incitement. This policy, known as the Negroponte doctrine, has drawn both praise and criticism.[99][100]
UN diplomats have indicated that the United States would veto any unilateral attempt to declare a Palestinian state at the Security Council.[103]

game set match

thank you very much

I'm astounded at how little all you people seem to know of what happens in the world

I'm kinda disappointed :(

Yes.

So when Israel is attacked and rockets are fired into it, destroying homes, crops, land etc. America sits back and laughs? No aid sent in recently, whatsoever.

Bring back the Ottomans already.

We need a secular nation that unites a large part of the Middle East again so there's not constant genocide ._.

Or the Byzantine Empire since the Ottomans had the bad habit of annexing small eastern European nations. :(

Not that the Byzantines were much better but I believe they would be a little more tolerant than the Ottomans. :D

(And Constantinople is a much better name than Istanbul imo lol)

Yeah I'm pretty sure this shizzle is gonna last forever, lol. If not forever at least a thousand years more...

That's a ludicrous statement, half the world is definitely not against Israel. Half the world are against extremism perhaps, but not Israel in particular. Not to mention the fact that people are incredibly guilty of sitting in their box and never coming out (in a metaphorical sense anyway). The only eyes Israel have are for Israel and Palestine, of course. That's just the way the world works.

I actually disagree. The UN sponsored bill would have condemned Israel for building settlements. It would have passed. That doesn't make half the world on their side, but there isn't a wavering support for their actions. Also, the U.S. and a fragmented Europe doesn't make a sizable majority of the world's population. It's hard to say, but I actually think that a majority of the world is more sympathetic to the plight of the Palestinian people rather than the plight of the Israeli people.

I don't care if no one believes this or not, but whatever...

Israel isn't doing anything wrong, they are fighting for their existence.

Israel is Jewish and Christan, the surrounding countrys are mostly Muslim.

My mother spent a lot of time in the middle east, and sh knows that Arabs are very aggressive.

And may I point out.. Israel was there first, the other people moved in, then Israel came back.

/EoD

I think that this is a bad thing to say. I disagree with you completely, but you can't just add an /EoD because you gave your opinion. If anything, add my $0.02.

All the time. Literally, all the time. Israel is acting like a spoiled child, more than anyone now, because Barack Obama suggested that they give up some land. If Israel didn't have America it wouldn't be a state.

The United States are a very powerful ally of Isreal that defends them with our international weight (lol fat americans) when it comes to UN matters and such. There may be many people in the world who oppose the actions of Isreal, but when you're got the biggest bully on the block on your side it really doesn't matter much. :(

Yes.

So when Israel is attacked and rockets are fired into it, destroying homes, crops, land etc. America sits back and laughs? No aid sent in recently, whatsoever.

Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. foreign aid because they made peace with Egypt. I don't understand why you're saying this frankly. If anything, that's the case for the Palestinian people. Israel continues to block aid since all aid/supplies go through Israel. When Bush wanted elections (and everyone told him not to), they elected Hamas, and then he blocked U.S. aid to Palestine. Several other countries followed. Israelis are firing rockets into Gaza. They are killing innocent little kids too, and the world is sitting and laughing at them. Israel is not the victim.

Not all aid is as black and white as marching in the calvary. Preventing condemnation from the international community by with your veto power is pretty blatant support. The U.S. has propped up many dictatorships in Latin America, and even though in some cases they didn't provide direct military support, most people wouldn't say that they didn't play an integral role.

The Hamas are firing rockets back at Israel. Israel has basically been under siege since 1948.

All of you armchair judges who are calling Israel a "spoiled child" for doing everything it can to minimize civilian casualties - which is the priority of most democratically elected governments, since doing otherwise is generally unpopular with voters - are taking a very skewed view of things, IMO. The Palestinians deserve better, I think we can all agree on that. And a two-state solution is obviously preferable. But you'd have to be a fool not to realize that that solution also puts Israel at a much greater risk in the short-term. Not the entire state, but the individual Israeli people who would have an even greater risk of death during the transition.

Blaming politicians for not putting their people in greater danger, regardless of the benefits such an action would give to foreign countries like Palestine, is kind of silly, IMO. The UN needs to take control of this situation. But Israel shouldn't be blamed for simply trying to protect itself.

The Hamas are firing rockets back at Israel. Israel has basically been under siege since 1948.

All of you armchair judges who are calling Israel a "spoiled child" for doing everything it can to minimize civilian casualties - which is the priority of most democratically elected governments, since doing otherwise is generally unpopular with voters - are taking a very skewed view of things, IMO. The Palestinians deserve better, I think we can all agree on that. And a two-state solution is obviously preferable. But you'd have to be a fool not to realize that that solution also puts Israel at a much greater risk in the short-term. Not the entire state, but the individual Israeli people who would have an even greater risk of death during the transition.

Blaming politicians for not putting their people in greater danger, regardless of the benefits such an action would give to foreign countries like Palestine, is kind of silly, IMO. The UN needs to take control of this situation. But Israel shouldn't be blamed for simply trying to protect itself.

But is building illegal settlements and encouraging people to move there really doing everything to minimize civilian casualties? I mean, returning fire is obviously understandable (though, to be fair, it usually seems like the returns often cause much more damage and are generally more sophisticated than the attacks), but most of Israel's actions seem to be power grabs indicative of a spoiled child. How else could you describe continuing to build illegal settlements and denying that they're illegal?

Edited by heb0

But is building illegal settlements and encouraging people to move there really doing everything to minimize civilian casualties? I mean, returning fire is obviously understandable (though, to be fair, it usually seems like the returns often cause much more damage and are generally more sophisticated than the attacks), but most of Israel's actions seem to be power grabs indicative of a spoiled child. How else could you describe continuing to build illegal settlements and denying that they're illegal?

The thing to realize is that the Israelis believe they have an inalienable right to build those settlements. (At the end of the day, "divine rights" and "inalienable rights" mean the same thing.) Of course they had to agree not to build there; that's politics. But just think about the 2,000 years of history the Jews have about being adrift in exile, waiting to return home. Think about it from a Jew's perspective - being told that you can't build on a land your ancestors have been banished from for 2,000 years, a land that you still feel a kinship with. Who is this world government to forbid you from finally claiming your birthright? Who are they to say that you can't build in Jerusalem, your precious Holy City? You're poor. People who want you dead are trying to claim the land from you. Are you likely to want to give it to them when doing so will make your life still more dangerous, and will make you still poorer?

Of course the Israelis are wrong. They have to give up some land. Personally, I disagree on principle that anybody should be forbidden from building anything in Jerusalem. If the city is going to be shared between Israel and Palestine, people have to be able to live wherever they want; it's the only way to encourage long-term peace. But that way lies massive short-term violence. And the perspective of the Israelis living where they are is, on a personal level, not at all "selfish." When you're dealing with such heartfelt matters and your life's safety may hang on the decision of your government, violating an international ordinance that deeply offends you isn't "selfish," it's earnest, even prudent.

It's a combination of politics and deep-held beliefs that you and I can't understand unless we put ourselves in the Israelis' shoes. Then they cease to be alien and make perfect sense. The Israelis aren't "right," but they aren't any more wrong than the Palestinians. They simply have the upper hand. The UN needs to step in and take command of the situation, because neither country can be expected to democratically emasculate its national security policies. But it needs to do so without blame-mongering.

Of course the Israelis are wrong. They have to give up some land.

To be honest, I find that slightly offensive. You say we are wrong, yet there is no proof to assert this. Our ancestors were banished from a land which was promised to them, so surely it is only right than we should have Israel? I agree, perhaps some land i.e. Gaza should be given to the Palestinians, but Israel is small enough as it is. Giving land to the Arabs, will cause them to grow, physically and mentally, gaining more raw resources, which would inevitably lead to an even bigger conflict than the one it is already. I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong. We own little land, as it is.

To be honest, I find that slightly offensive. You say we are wrong, yet there is no proof to assert this. Our ancestors were banished from a land which was promised to them, so surely it is only right than we should have Israel? I agree, perhaps some land i.e. Gaza should be given to the Palestinians, but Israel is small enough as it is. Giving land to the Arabs, will cause them to grow, physically and mentally, gaining more raw resources, which would inevitably lead to an even bigger conflict than the one it is already. I'm sorry, but I think you're wrong. We own little land, as it is.

How is stating an opinion unequivocally offensive?

It really isn't constructive when you say that it's a land that was promised to you. Three religious groups argue that it was it was promised to them. The U.S. aren't giving the native Americans their land back.

One of the problems comes with assuming that you have a divine right to a land. I could invent a religion that says god wants me to rule the entire continent of Asia, but that doesn't mean it's okay for me to perpetrate apartheid.

There is no "correct side" in this struggle. We shouldn't designate one.

Edited by heb0

It really isn't constructive when you say that it's a land that was promised to you. Three religious groups argue that it was it was promised to them. The U.S. aren't giving the native Americans their land back.

But surely if the Jewish people have been settled there, independantly since 1948, then it's theirs? There are plenty of other lands where Palestinians could go - to countries where Arabs are welcomed e.g. Turkey, Abu Dhabi etc.

But surely if the Jewish people have been settled there, independantly since 1948, then it's theirs? There are plenty of other lands where Palestinians could go - to countries where Arabs are welcomed e.g. Turkey, Abu Dhabi etc.

So if you invade something and trow the original people out and take their belongings for long enough it's ok :D

you understand that you are saying that it's ok to deport people?

Bah

Edited by Egghebrecht

So if you invade something and trow the original people out and take their belongings for long enough it's ok :D

Bah

I never said it was OK, I just said that Israel deserves a place to live. The land was "Promised" to them + there are plenty of other places the inhabitants could go. People getting deported happens all over the world - e.g. Native Americans getting killed, forced out of their homes by Americans, immigrants getting deported, but you don't seem to complain about that?

Bah

That's a gross misrepresentation, seeing as the Israelis were resettled by the UN. They didn't just come in and invade.

Yero, I understand what you say about my point being offensive. But to establish peace and end the fighting, the only solution that will work is a two-state solution that involves the Israelis giving up some land. (Or forcible deportation, of course, but that's inhumane.)

Bah

That's a gross misrepresentation, seeing as the Israelis were resettled by the UN. They didn't just come in and invade.

Yero, I understand what you say about my point being offensive. But to establish peace and end the fighting, the only solution that will work is a two-state solution that involves the Israelis giving up some land. (Or forcible deportation, of course, but that's inhumane.)

the settlements outside the borders set in 1967 are nothing short but invasions and occupation

but we are kinda agreeing on that point me thinks, you just misunderstood me :(

Bah

But there is no where else the Israelis can go. Of course, there is America, UK etc., but there is always racial prejudice where ever you go. Israel is the sole place Jews can go to feel some sort of security, safeness and comfort. Perhaps they do need to give up some land, but they should be able to keep the majority of it, because it now belongs to them, right or wrong, and there is little else they can do about it.

Bah

But there is no where else the Israelis can go. Of course, there is America, UK etc., but there is always racial prejudice where ever you go. Israel is the sole place Jews can go to feel some sort of security, safeness and comfort. Perhaps they do need to give up some land, but they should be able to keep the majority of it, because it now belongs to them, right or wrong, and there is little else they can do about it.

I'm sorry if their story and big daddy British Empire says they can have somewhere, even if someone already lives there it's ok. I have little sympathy for Israel mainly due to the terms it's founded upon, the fact it sits on one of the biggest trade routes makes me blame the British empire far more than anyone else, they should of learnt from WW1 that post war negotiations are just as important as the actual war.

In terms of these days, while I would love to say, magically get every jew out of there and let Jordan and Egypt tear it apart to it's rightful owners, that's feasibly never going to happen. What would be better is if the boundaries were redrawn so they weren't so stupid, I mean splitting a country in half will never let them govern properly, the entire process has been broken from the start. Maybe a third state could be made for Jerusalem in the same vain as the Vattican to stop squabbling and a north/south divide imposed to ensure equal assess to the sea.

But I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, as far as I can see my own country is to blame for poor handling in 1948, and I don't believe 3 generations is enough time to say the country is Israels.

Also, you can claim all you want that the Torah says it's the holy land, my Holy book "The life and times of Easl" says I deserve most of America, I have proof as my holy profit Abba says I did and it's written in this holy book, if you say I'm wrong I'm going to shout at you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, you can claim all you want that the Torah says it's the holy land, my Holy book "The life and times of Easl" says I deserve most of America, I have proof as my holy profit Abba says I did and it's written in this holy book, if you say I'm wrong I'm going to shout at you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, honestly, that's why the Palestinians settled the area in the first place, before the Israelis tried to take it.

Now do you see why this struggle is so asinine?

Edited by Demon Jelly