Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bwauder

I Have Been Wondering About Why Whites Are Racists, And No Other Race Is......

I got this as an email, but it raises many valid issues:

Proud to be White

Michael Richards, better known as Kramer from TVs Seinfeld does make a good point. This was his defense speech in court after making racial comments in his comedy act. He makes some very interesting points...

“There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc. And then there are just Americans.

You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction. You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... and that's OK..

But when I call you, Ni**er, Coon, Towel Head, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, Paki, or Chink …. you call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you... so why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United Negro College Fund. You have Martin Luther King Day.

You have Black History Month. You have Cesar Chavez Day. You have Yom Hashoah. You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.

You have the NAACP. You have BET....

If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists. If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' OUR lives, we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce. Wonder who pays for that??

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships... You know - we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US .. Yet if there were 'White Colleges', that would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it. But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud.... But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists??

There is nothing improper about this e-mail.. Let's see which of you are proud enough to send it on. I sadly don't think many will. That's why we have LOST most of OUR RIGHTS in this country. We won't stand up for ourselves!

BE PROUD TO BE WHITE!

It's not a crime YET... but getting very close!

I honestly think racism doesn't exist.

Offence is only taken if you think it is offensive.

Racism definitely exists, and to say otherwise, you would be a fool. And I believe most of these programs are there because of everything that minorities have had to deal with throughout the years in America. First, there was slavery, and when that was made illegal, there were still racist laws for a long time. It's our way of paying them back, sort of.

LOLOLOLOL say I stabbed a black man purely because he was black, that would be racist and no one needs to take offense for it to be a serious crime

Even if someone doesn't take offence, it's still a bad thing to call a black person a you-know-what. Just because they may not take offence, it doesn't make it 'correct' to go around shouting it everywhere.

Our history and lack of ability to accept culture to begin with gave us that racist reputation. It's a silly thing to have hanging above us, but it's there and the tension is and could always be there. It's not about having White and Black colleges and things. That causes more seperation, I'll admit I do believe we would be called racist, but the fact we don't proves to rise above separation. Although you do have to excuse a certain extent of Black-only institutions. If there was no separation to begin with these sorts of things wouldn't exist.

The only reason those things exist to help those races is that 'Whites' (and I use it a vague description of a general European descent) generally spent years enslaving them or removing their rights.

And then there was segregation which bred areas of poverty in the non-White areas because their schools were worse and there job prospects were not as wide or great. This is why we have the Ghettos that we now all know and recognise.

I don't agree with all the things that are done to equalise across the races but as a general principle I agree with the concept.

Let's agree that irrational, unjustifiable ethnic, national, or just regular unfounded pride, arrogance, and all those other nice human characteristics exist all over the world, for every race.

That's what makes us human and therefore also complete idiots.

Kramer is right. It's exactly how I feel. There's a double standard in society.

Well, we punished everyone else for the longest time, just for their color.

The minorities do need support. And it's clearly noticed when they're racist too. But if we all had our way, America would be 100% white.

What? I don't follow you on white people wanting the country 100% white.

Honestly these days I would rather have a doctor of Indian descent. My experiences with them have been a lot better over the past few years, frinstance.

I'm a firm believer in the world needing all kinds. Even the crazies, even the people I disagree with, all of it. Meh. I kind of agree with Kramer though.

You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

Made some okay points here or there, but honestly this single line gave the entire thing a tone of racism. The fact that he assumes that crimes such as these are based on race, and there's some sort of vendetta among black people to rob and kill white people, is a bit fishy. Plus, police brutality is nothing like criminal activity, because police forces are entrusted with power and resources and expected to use them properly. If they abuse citizens, it's a big fudgeing problem. :D

Also, minorities tend to group themselves and create organizations for their own benefit in order to protect their rights. It wouldn't matter if the majority demographic were African-American, homosexual, atheist women rather than white, straight, Christian men. Minority rights have to be balanced with majority wants and needs, so it follows that minorities will organize in order to protect these rights.

There's really no reason for a "white only" school, television station or our own month. Colleges are already mostly white. TV stations already mostly depict white families. And, it's probably been said before, but the other 11 months out of the year are white history months. There's nothing oppressive or racist about taking a month out of the year to focus on a single demographic and their history. Black history serves to study a specific cultural group and their role in society over the years. White history would mostly be a regular American History class with slavery, the civil rights movement, and the presidency of Barack Obama edited out. It really wouldn't serve a huge purpose as a class for the majority of students. Maybe if someone was some sort of highly specialized scholar who studied the European race, yes. But what would your average high school or college kid get that they don't already learn in regular classes?

Maybe we have a Hispanic and Black Chamber of Commerce because The Chamber of Commerce is essentially the White Chamber of Commerce. Plus, by having other Chamber of Commerces, we're simply doing other races a favor. The regular old Chamber of Commerce is evil, anyway! :(

I agree that affirmative action is often taken too far and can be seen as a form of racism. We should allow people into college based solely on merit. I'm okay with affirmative action when it comes to scholarships (i.e. need based scholarships for the poor), but one shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because they happened to be born a white male from a middle to upper middle class family.

Honestly, the stuff about "losing our rights", though, is bullshizzle. This entire email just sounds like someone whining because they feel that racism includes acknowledging your race and minorities grouping together to protect their rights. Black people aren't out to shoot and rob him, as he seems to think, and the government isn't taking away his freedom of speech and giving it to the Hispanic couple down the street. If he's going to take on a holier-than-thou tone and nice doggy! about some frivolous things, he first needs to examine whether or not he has some racist tendencies.

Edited by heb0

Honestly, I agreed with some of the email until the "You rob us" line, and then I realized that, more or less, the inevitable race card that will get pulled on this email might be deserved. Yeah, I think programs like affirmative action and reparations are a bad idea, but the email seems stereotyped, although not exactly hateful.

This email makes some valid points. Blacks inevitably go overboard sometimes when defending their rights, as we all might.

However, it's true that, in America, blacks need more protection and reinforcement of their rights than any other majority or minority (except Hispanics, in some cases). While affirmative action policies should probably be discontinued - especially since they discriminate unfairly against Asians, which is completely unethical - other forms of protection for African-Americans are generally legitimate.

Edited by Emanick

The minorities do need support. And it's clearly noticed when they're racist too. But if we all had our way, America would be 100% white.

Please only speak for yourself...

lolwut

You mean if all white supremacists had their way? :D

In Japan, people are legitimately terrified of any non-asian or white race. All races are racist.

EDIT: Only read thread title, woops.

Edited by Samurai Kenji

It's kind of simple why if we call a black person "ni**er" it's extremely racist and offensive, but not the other way around with cracker.

In our history, we used African Americans and other races that were "non-dominant" as slaves. During these times we put them through harsh living condititons, beat them, swore at them, and called them horrible names.

That's why if you call a black person a "ni**er" it's offensive, because it was used during that horrible time of slavery.

If they call us cracker...it doesn't remind us of some bad history we had where the blacks beat us and called us crackers, but when we say "ni**er", somewhere in their mind they get reminded of slavery and how mistreated they were.

That's my opinion at least.

It's kind of simple why if we call a black person "ni**er" it's extremely racist and offensive, but not the other way around with cracker.

In our history, we used African Americans and other races that were "non-dominant" as slaves. During these times we put them through harsh living condititons, beat them, swore at them, and called them horrible names.

That's why if you call a black person a "ni**er" it's offensive, because it was used during that horrible time of slavery.

If they call us cracker...it doesn't remind us of some bad history we had where the blacks beat us and called us crackers, but when we say "ni**er", somewhere in their mind they get reminded of slavery and how mistreated they were.

That's my opinion at least.

Well we're reminding them of what they learned in history class.

lolwut

You mean if all white supremacists had their way? :D

I've noticed that more people than you'd think are closet-racists.

To say that other people who are not white are not racist would be rather silly. But there is a specific reason as to why whites are considered racist for our actions when another can go unpunished in their way of thinking. Without trying to be too racist myself, their aren't that many white minorities. Or not enough that when you think about color of skin you don't think something prejudice. It's all to do with how we are and were before but it's especially how we are right now. For instance for a lot of people when they think of a white person they will hardly be thinking of a person from the ghetto who might gun them down in their gang. (I'm not saying they don't exist) I'm merely pointing out, it's a state of mind. The majority have never been in the footsteps of a black person. That's the clear cut line through it all.

It's because it's never been bad to be white. I'm not being racist, just remarking upon history. Just imagine it "you're a swell person!" "yes well you are a cracker", the black person is offended because they are being called something demeaning because of how they look, through years of prejudice they might not have felt yet but know exist. But that white person is thinking more along the lines of "yes, I am white" and they don't see an issue with that. Because, as I said, it's not bad to be white. We were never slaves to another color to the same extent. That's why it's oh so different. Context is everything. If it was the opposite way around, things would be exactly the same. Whites would be the ones taking serious offense.

To say that other people who are not white are not racist would be rather silly. But there is a specific reason as to why whites are considered racist for our actions when another can go unpunished in their way of thinking. Without trying to be too racist myself, their aren't that many white minorities. Or not enough that when you think about color of skin you don't think something prejudice. It's all to do with how we are and were before but it's especially how we are right now. For instance for a lot of people when they think of a white person they will hardly be thinking of a person from the ghetto who might gun them down in their gang. (I'm not saying they don't exist) I'm merely pointing out, it's a state of mind. The majority have never been in the footsteps of a black person. That's the clear cut line through it all.

It's because it's never been bad to be white. I'm not being racist, just remarking upon history. Just imagine it "you're a swell person!" "yes well you are a cracker", the black person is offended because they are being called something demeaning because of how they look, through years of prejudice they might not have felt yet but know exist. But that white person is thinking more along the lines of "yes, I am white" and they don't see an issue with that. Because, as I said, it's not bad to be white. We were never slaves to another color to the same extent. That's why it's oh so different. Context is everything. If it was the opposite way around, things would be exactly the same. Whites would be the ones taking serious offense.

Jews went through more plight than any black person has why is it socially acceptable to crack jokes about them with no one raising an eyebrow?

Jews went through more plight than any black person has why is it socially acceptable to crack jokes about them with no one raising an eyebrow?

It's not a competition about which race "had it worse," though, and who "had it worse" varies by individual. I wouldn't really say that those types of jokes are "socially acceptable," although I think you're probably right about people being less nervous about making them.

The only reason I can think of is that, in American culture, the oppression of blacks makes more of an impact on us. Most people look upon slavery as one of the most shameful chapters in our country's history, so there's probably more aversion to those types of jokes just based on that. It's just a guess, but I would assume jokes and stereotypes about jews might be a bit touchier issues in Germany. Does anyone know? :D

I'm not saying it's right that larger portions of society accept those jokes--I'm just trying to think of a reason why that would be the case.

Edited by heb0

It's not a competition about which race "had it worse," though, and who "had it worse" varies by individual. I wouldn't really say that those types of jokes are "socially acceptable," although I think you're probably right about people being less nervous about making them.

The only reason I can think of is that, in American culture, the oppression of blacks makes more of an impact on us. Most people look upon slavery as one of the most shameful chapters in our country's history, so there's probably more aversion to those types of jokes just based on that. It's just a guess, but I would assume jokes and stereotypes about jews might be a bit touchier issues in Germany. Does anyone know? :D

I'm not saying it's right that larger portions of society accept those jokes--I'm just trying to think of a reason why that would be the case.

Exactly! I was about to put about Germany until I saw you had done it for me. I can tell you this, it's very touchy in specific areas. Just as a casual bit of knowledge for everyone else as well, there is only one side to the Berlin wall where you can buy those gas masks. It's completely about where you are as to where it is more socially acceptable.