Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
definedeath2

Wwii Schutzstaffel (ss) Project

Hey guys,

As a project to sort of wrap up the year one of my teachers has assigned us a project on WWII. Now that's pretty much it. As long as it had to do with the war and during the duration of WWII he is fine with it. Me and my group decided to do our project on the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend. I found that before the Division was a Panzer Division it was a Panzergrenadier Division. I thought it might be a good idea to mention this but I also realized I have no clue what the difference between a regular SS Panzer Division and a SS Panzergrenadier Division was. If someone could help me clear this up i'd be extremely grateful

Edited by definedeath2

Panzer divisions were tank divisions, panzergrenadiers were the infantry components of these tank divisions.

Think of infantry soldiers in an APC.

Panzer divisions were tank divisions, panzergrenadiers were the infantry components of these tank divisions.

Think of infantry soldiers in an APC.

Thanks. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the 12th SS Hilterjugend but if you are could you tell me why they were originally changed from a Panzergrenadier division to a Panzer division? I couldn't find anything details on Wikipedia or Google.

The 12th SS was first deployed as an SS-Panzergrenadier division, a rapid infantry unit. They did have tanks, just not as many as you'd find in a Panzer division. Later, Panzergrenadiers were deployed in support of Panzer divisions and were an integral part of them. This is in line with the Combined Arms policy; tanks are far more effective when supported by infantry. Panzergrenadiers generally rode halftracks and as such could keep up with the Panzers themselves.

From what I've read, it seems they were never combat-ready as a Panzergrenadier division, they were converted to a Panzer unit before they finished their training.

The 12th SS had two Panzergrenadier regiments and one Panzer regiment in June 1944. Their equipment consisted of medium tanks, Panzer IV's and Panzer V's, better known as Panthers. The notorious Tiger tanks were deployed in a support role, in fact most were in their own independent units. The Panther, unlike the Tiger, was the most sophisticated tank of WWII and is the predecessor to nearly all modern tanks. It combined speed, firepower and protection due to its (relatively) light weight, long 76mm gun and sloped armor. Tiger tanks were slow, difficult to maneuver, and were sitting ducks for air attacks.

Their training was unusual, the division was raised very quickly and was composed of young men, inexperienced but fanatically loyal to Hitler. They trained using live-fire exercises and realistic scenarios, without regard for rules and regulations. Their morale was high and they were never to retreat.

In real life, the division was deployed to Normandy in 1944 as a form of deep defense. If the Allies landed, the 12th would be quickly called up to the front to drive them back to the sea. Time was of essence since the Panzers had to destroy the beachhead before the Allies could bring in their own tanks and heavy equipment. On D-Day, the division did not advance until the afternoon, well after the Allies had landed. When they did move out, they came under intense air attacks from Allied fighter-bombers. Unfortunately for the Germans, the 21st SS division could not take its position on the 12th's right flank as promised, and soon Canadian tanks advancing from Juno Beach were attacking the Germans from the side.

It's important to point out that the SS divisions were not part of the German Army. They answered directly to the Nazi Party and weren't considered combatants by the Allies, and in many cases the Allies took no prisoners when it came to SS troops.

Edited by theking1322

The 12th SS was first deployed as an SS-Panzergrenadier division, a rapid infantry unit. They did have tanks, just not as many as you'd find in a Panzer division. Later, Panzergrenadiers were deployed in support of Panzer divisions and were an integral part of them. This is in line with the Combined Arms policy; tanks are far more effective when supported by infantry. Panzergrenadiers generally rode halftracks and as such could keep up with the Panzers themselves.

From what I've read, it seems they were never combat-ready as a Panzergrenadier division, they were converted to a Panzer unit before they finished their training.

The 12th SS had two Panzergrenadier regiments and one Panzer regiment in June 1944. Their equipment consisted of medium tanks, Panzer IV's and Panzer V's, better known as Panthers. The notorious Tiger tanks were deployed in a support role, in fact most were in their own independent units. The Panther, unlike the Tiger, was the most sophisticated tank of WWII and is the predecessor to nearly all modern tanks. It combined speed, firepower and protection due to its (relatively) light weight, long 76mm gun and sloped armor. Tiger tanks were slow, difficult to maneuver, and were sitting ducks for air attacks.

Their training was unusual, the division was raised very quickly and was composed of young men, inexperienced but fanatically loyal to Hitler. They trained using live-fire exercises and realistic scenarios, without regard for rules and regulations. Their morale was high and they were never to retreat.

In real life, the division was deployed to Normandy in 1944 as a form of deep defense. If the Allies landed, the 12th would be quickly called up to the front to drive them back to the sea. Time was of essence since the Panzers had to destroy the beachhead before the Allies could bring in their own tanks and heavy equipment. On D-Day, the division did not advance until the afternoon, well after the Allies had landed. When they did move out, they came under intense air attacks from Allied fighter-bombers. Unfortunately for the Germans, the 21st SS division could not take its position on the 12th's right flank as promised, and soon Canadian tanks advancing from Juno Beach were attacking the Germans from the side.

It's important to point out that the SS divisions were not part of the German Army. They answered directly to the Nazi Party and weren't considered combatants by the Allies, and in many cases the Allies took no prisoners when it came to SS troops.

Wow! Thank you so much. Not only did you offer a different aspect then Wikipedia but also information not on Wikipedia.

Not only have you helped me complete my project but, as a WWII enthusiast of sorts you've taught me some things about the SS and given an easier to understand more brief version of the first deployment to battle of the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend.

Is this all your prior knowledge or did you just find this on a website? If you did could you please provide me with the URL or where you got this information whether it be a book, movie, ect?