Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rawrgoyle

U Text. U Drive. U Die.

Allow me to make my opening statement.

r2hcX.png

Sorry. Had to get that out of the way, as it's happened to me multiple times.

Texting and driving. Where do you stand on it? Or, really, phone use + car in general? When I was 14/15 I always thought it'd be foolish. But once I started driving, I'd find myself groping for my phone in the cup holder, or even trying to read messages while driving.

For me, at least, it is actually really distracting. I was on my way to a production I was supposed to be helping out at southwest of Chicago, and I was completely lost. My producer was texting me directions. There was an accident on the road, so traffic was backed up. I was trying to reply to her texts while deciphering messages while not energetically rear-ending the car in front of me.

I picked up on my friend while my dad was in the car, and tried talking and driving, too. I was all wobbly and distracted. The reason my dad let me do it is because he's what you call a professional truck driver, and he's more used to talking on the radio and driving than I am to driving, and breathing.

I'm not going to pull statistics on the number of people (young people, especially) who are killed in crashes annually because they were messing around on their phones, but I'm sure we're all aware that it is a fatal danger in some cases.

So I'm not sure if this is a debate about the subject, or more of a "share what you think" sort of thing.

However, I'll open it up to anyone else who wants to share stories. Or debate. I hope I'm doing this right.

Well, I know here it's illegal to use your phone whilst driving unless it's totally hands free.

As I was younger I always had it drilled into me both at home, and at school that texting impairs your ability to drive more than alcohol. Whether that's 100% true I can't say, and have no intentions of finding out, but it's a valid point that it does impair your ability to drive.

However, having recently begun driving myself I have once or twice found myself reaching for the phone whilst moving (usually just in the school drive going around 3mph), but, nonetheless I can say first hand it seriously hinders driving.

So, personally, I'm completely against it. I know it sounds cliche, but the time it takes you to flip the indicator and pull up before you start to text is well worth it, as we all know it can and probably has saved lives, whilst failing to do so, has killed people.

There's no discussion about this. Texting while driving slow down your reaction time fatally.

"Also I'm on the highway, so I'll get back to you when I get to work. " Is what my friend sent me an hour ago.

His excuse: "But it was completely clear, no cars anywhere near me. Besides, I'm a good driver. And not like one of those people that thinks they're a good driver but isn't. Except I am a pretty aggressive driver. (Speed, etc) But in the 4 or 5 years I've been driving, I've yet to be pulled over. I have my dad's cop-eyes, haha. Besides, my car doesn't even look like the type of car a cop would pull over."

Fuh realz? He was saying a lot too. Creepy.

It's not safe. Pull over and do it if it's that important. It doesn't matter how careful you are, not looking at the road or even looking back and forth is not safe and even talking can provide a distraction.

It's not safe. Pull over and do it if it's that important. It doesn't matter how careful you are, not looking at the road or even looking back and forth is not safe and even talking can provide a distraction.

I agree with him^ If it's important, pull over. if not, it can wait. Calling, isn't as big as an issue as texting, as you only have to look at your phone once, to get the number, and you can pull over, and do that, if you didn't just call when you left. Then you can talk to somebody, and not need to look at the phone, so you can focus on driving, no real big deal for the people that can multitask. However, if you need to focus hard on where you are going, like if you are in a big city, or an unfamiliar area, its best not to be on your phone.

Of course it should be illegal and it's wrong. It's irresponsible and puts the your life and the lives of anyone in the car with you in danger. Personally, I'm stupid enough to go against what I think is right just because I feel like doing it and although I can't even drive, I can honestly say I would text/talk on my cellphone regardless of the law or if I think it's a good idea or not. But hey, atleast realize that I have the ba**s to come out and say that although it's wrong I'm stupid enough to do it unlike other people who would say, "Oh no it's fine to do" not because they actually think that it is but more because they just don't want to feel wrong if they do it.

Seriously if your on a short journey then what's the rush, you can just call or text back when you have stopped. I your on a long journey then you can always pull over. If it becomes a reccuring Problem then you can get a Bluetooth headset to make your calls on. At the end of the day it's against the law. Laws are there to keep you Safe and the people around you safe. You could end up taking the lives of innocent people. Don't do it. Be safe.

Fools, hire a Chauffeur to do the driving, leaving you free to text all you wish! :P

But on a serious level, I haven't started driving yet (Not because of age, I just haven't got around to getting lessons yet :D), but when I do I probably won't, for a very simple reason. I am male. I can not multitask. Texting and walking is hard enough :(.

Fools, hire a Chauffeur to do the driving, leaving you free to text all you wish! :P

But on a serious level, I haven't started driving yet (Not because of age, I just haven't got around to getting lessons yet :D), but when I do I probably won't, for a very simple reason. I am male. I can not multitask. Texting and walking is hard enough :(.

This. Same for me being a clumsy male I cannot text and walk without falling over or walking into a lampost or tree. My friend walked into a tree whilst texting he needed 6 stitches in his forehead, and that is why males do not multi task. :D

I hand a phone to a passenger if I get a text message. They read it to me and then they text what I say.

If there's no passenger, I wait for a red light. That way I don't needlessly endanger everybody.

But ya, I once almost walked into a poll texting and walking. Why do it driving?!?!?!?!??!

As said, it's illegal in the UK now anyway and it's absolutely right to be. About two years ago we watched a road safety video where it showed pictures of car crashes and peoples stories. One of the stories had a man and his baby driving back from the store and a driver coming the other way around a sharp bend. The man with the baby received a text off his wife asking if he got the milk (-_-) the man read this and.. well you know where the story goes :D. The police said they couldn't even find an actual body part of the baby other than the foot. I don't know whether that's just a fear-mongering story or whether it's actually true but it's disgusting nonetheless.

If you need to text or call either pull up or hands free. Even though hands free is also pretty distracting I've been told.

I'll fully admit I often pick up my phone and text. It's not worth the risk and it's habit forming. A lot of the time I don't even have to look at my screen but that is no excuse. Concentrating on my phone does sometimes leave me trailing in certain directions. Anything other than luck could kill someone. I try and leave it alone but for some reason everyone has to be fudgeing connected 24/7.

These days I try to pull over and text. It's wrong to be doing it but it's bound to happen. Me, myself am waiting for more technology. I do have an application that texts whatever I say rather than type but it all needs to be a little refined I think.

I'm likin' this chauffeur method!

I've lived downtown Chicago, and the number of people I see walking, jogging, driving, skipping on their cell phones is unimaginable. The general vibe I get is -- "I'm making money right now, and I'm being dangerous while doing it!" because they're mostly shiny Lincolns and Cadillacs with manicured-looking men and women therein.

It's illegal in the UK? Good. Pretty sure it's illegal in Illinois, and was just made illegal in Michigan. Now, I'm not sure if that's just texting + driving, or using the phone at all without a hands free set. Personally, I don't see why they'd differentiate. It's all dangerous.

I can talk on the phone and drive. As I said before, I've had directions called in to me .. but I feel really unsafe doing it. And not in the way of -- "this is dangerous and badass!" but more along the lines of -- "I AM GOING TO DIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!"

Don't think it should be made illegal. That'll just give corrupt cops another reason to pull people.

Common sense is common sense. Should be left up to the individual, not the law. Unfortunately, people are really stupid. Oh well.

Don't think it should be made illegal. That'll just give corrupt cops another reason to pull people.

Common sense is common sense. Should be left up to the individual, not the law. Unfortunately, people are really stupid. Oh well.

^ From that logic, I'm curious to hear what you think about people who drive intoxicated.

I do it and it's not that bad, as long as it is done at stop signs, red lights, long straight stretches of road, etc. I almost crashed into a tree when I tried to text while driving on a very curved road.

It's for the safety of everybody it's illegal really :D.

It's for the safety of everybody it's illegal really :D.

Exactly what gonzyy said. It should be down to the law and not up to the individual because it only takes one individual with no common sense to get other innocent people killed or seriously injured.

Tell that to a family who's loss of a loved one could and should have been prevented.

The problem is that someone who texts while driving is a danger to others, not just himself.

If you want to kill yourself behind the wheel, be my guest. Just stay the fudge away from the other motorists and pedestrians.

Edited by theking1322

The problem is that someone who texts while driving is a danger to others, not just himself.

If you want to kill yourself behind the wheel, be my guest. Just stay the fudge away from the other motorists and pedestrians.

This is all that is needed.

So listening to music, eating, talking, etc. while driving should be illegal also.