Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
King Of Monra

Do Parents Really Know Their Own Kids?

When a friend of mine was walking home from school, she had her bag stolen from a some kid. Knowing who it was and where he lived, I went to this kid's house to speak to his parents and recover my friends bag, but the parents didn't believe a word I said. Instead they claimed that their son would never steal a persons bag. Annoyed, I just gave up and went home.

The next day, I see the boy with a friend and they're setting fire to one of my friends schoolbooks. I decide to confront the kid and end up grabbing him whilst his friend does a runner. After picking one of my friends burnt out school books, I drag the kid back to his house to confront his parents. To my suprise they still didn't believe a word I said and even accused me of harassing them.

Its annoying that the kid gets let off the hook whilst my friend has to redo her work. How is that fair?

And how is it that those parents can be so clueless and ignorant?

If I ever become a father, I think I'll take everything that me kid tells me with a pinch of salt.

This is quite some time ago obviously. But that is the best example I could think of.

When it comes to myself, my parents doesn't really know me, as my friend knows me. But I'm not an entire bumhole towards people though.

Well .. I figure that this issue has a lot of case-by-case stuff to it. Meaning, you can't just throw a blanket statement over "kids" just in general. But I completely and enthusiastically see the point you're trying to make here. My parents don't know me as well as they think they do, but I don't think they'd find me a drastically different person.

My parents don't have a Facebook account. They don't watch over what I do, they don't read my texts or anything like that. I try to be as genuine a person as possible -- and in your story, when there's someone dragging home their child and explaining this stuff that's happening .. I'd be in a lot of trouble.

So back to my "case-by-case" thing, it's possible that this kid has been spending his entire life being a completely different human being, different set of ideals the second the door snaps shut behind him .. and yes. You're right. There comes a point when blindly thinking the sun shines out your child's butt just isn't going to fly anymore.

I don't know how old you all are, but I think the younger a kid is, the worse it is. But at the same time, the younger, the more transparent. Stealing bags on the way home from school, pushing kids off the swingset, or staying out late and drinking while pretending to be studying at a cousin's house. When parents turn a blind eye, I guess there are a lot of ways it can go.

Well clearly no parents know their kids the same way their friends do. But to think that your kid never does anything right just makes you seem as a lazy parent. Or?

my age is 24, but this story was quite some years ago, but I felt it suited the topic the most when it comes to parents who think their kids are perfect little angels.

My parents don't know me as well as they think (I don't tell them things which might land me in trouble/might embarrass me), but they sure as hell know if I've been being good or bad :D

It's just a case of good or bad parenting imo

I am truly jealous that you had the self-control to, number one: not beat the living sh** out of the punk and two: not cuss out the parents for being ignorant idiots.

To the guy above me, I dunno if beating the kid up (I like that he's just become "the kid" in our tellings) would be a good option .. but certainly confronting the parents about their apparent blindness would be something I'd have to try really hard not to do.

I'm a sensible girl, and seeing people act so .. unsensibly makes a part of my body sort of shiver. I'd certainly go home and complain to my parents about it -- and, you know. Drop hints about how I turned out to be such a great person.

^ But on a more serious note, yeah. I wouldn't have let it go so easily especially if there's a smoking gun lying around, so-to-speak. Did you know the parents in the slightest? Did you (OP!) have a reputation as someone who would or wouldn't lie?

Edited by rawrgoyle

Depends on the kids and the parents. If the parents make a relationship with the kids early on then they're more likely to keep up with them later.

But I'm pretty sure that your parents don't know you or your sister :D

When it comes to beating up the kid, or yelling at his parents, I don't see how that would help me in anyway, the way I see it, I would probably get in more trouble then the other guy should have gone into.

I don't believe in violence. Of course if I HAVE to then I HAVE to, but that is another debate.

When it comes to parents knowing their child compared to friends, that is another debate as well. Every person who has friends, act differently with them, then they do with their parents or family for that matter.

Did you know the parents in the slightest? Did you (OP!) have a reputation as someone who would or wouldn't lie?

I try to lie as little as posible, but I didn't know them very well no.

Edited by King Of Monra

When it comes to beating up the kid, or yelling at his parents, I don't see how that would help me in anyway, the way I see it, I would probably get in more trouble then the other guy should have gone into.

I don't believe in violence. Of course if I HAVE to then I HAVE to, but that is another debate.

When it comes to parents knowing their child compared to friends, that is another debate as well. Every person who has friends, act differently with them, then they do with their parents or family for that matter.

Did you know the parents in the slightest? Did you (OP!) have a reputation as someone who would or wouldn't lie?

Parents are unreasonable.

Go to principal.

have him suspended for ruining school property/thievery (they won't get him in trouble for the thievery part, but atleast vandalism)

Parents are unreasonable.

Go to principal.

have him suspended for ruining school property/thievery (they won't get him in trouble for the thievery part, but atleast vandalism)

The debate isn't really about that. And this is years ago, It is far too late to get him expelled.

My mother knew me inside and out, like the back of her hand and all those other cliche phrases. That could have something to do with the fact that she's only 13 years older than I am and thus isn't "passe" and out of the loop, but I think it has more to do with the fact that she was just a good parent.

Point: There's good parents and bad parents. You can't answer the original question because you can't generalize parents.

Point: There's good parents and bad parents. You can't answer the original question because you can't generalize parents.

^ This. I want it on a T-shirt, but out-of-context that might be a bit silly.

But there are good parents who doesn't know their kids either.

It's a matter of opinion but knowing your kids is part of my criteria for what a good parent is.

To the guy above me, I dunno if beating the kid up (I like that he's just become "the kid" in our tellings) would be a good option .. but certainly confronting the parents about their apparent blindness would be something I'd have to try really hard not to do.

I'm a sensible girl, and seeing people act so .. unsensibly makes a part of my body sort of shiver. I'd certainly go home and complain to my parents about it -- and, you know. Drop hints about how I turned out to be such a great person.

^ But on a more serious note, yeah. I wouldn't have let it go so easily especially if there's a smoking gun lying around, so-to-speak. Did you know the parents in the slightest? Did you (OP!) have a reputation as someone who would or wouldn't lie?

I never said it was. I just don't have the self-control to deal with ignorant idiot parents or a**es

It's a matter of opinion but knowing your kids is part of my criteria for what a good parent is.

I think my parents are very good parents.

But they don't know shizzle about me.

In the context of the OP some parents are just delusional about their children thinking they are angels and innocent. One problem is that children aren't willing to talk to their parents about things, it's either uncomfortable or they don't understand. I think a good parent should be prepared for some uncomfortable, but necessary talks, like talks about safe sex etc...

My parents know me well, but they don't know much about what I do. They still don't know a lot of my actions, or beliefs, or the groups I am involved with. That is more about me keeping it from them, rather than me outright lying to them (though I know deception is paramount to lies but that doesn't matter for this point).

However, I agree with the issues you mentioned. Even with the best of parenting, some children are just prats. The issue then more comes with the fact that the parents can not believe their children would do such things, and it is especially prevalent if they have raised their children in what they though was the 'right' way. It's hard to accept that the child you view as an angel is actually a bit of a nasty piece of work most of the time.

My parents know me very well. They aren't oblivious, they know what I do. They don't mind as long as I don't do anything completely stupid like drink and drive.

My parents don't know me at all honestly...

I am 2 people, around my parents I'm an angel, anywhere else, I do whatever.

But parents shouldn't be blind to their children, my parents know if I do something wrong, and I get an trouble for it, but when you deny evidence, you are a sad, blind, bad parent.

Mainly the same.

I know about 3 times as much (stuff) then they think I know

I'm a good kid, I don't need to ask their advice/opinions, only their opinions.

They got 2 other messes to worry about.