Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Darkest

Google Earth In 1937

So, if one has the latest version of Google Earth, and one were to change the historical imagery to 1937 by clicking the clock next to the sun on the top bar, one would find that there are images taken of the area south of Denver, Colorado in the US. Black and white images of small towns just to the south of Denver are visible. What I want to know is how the heck they got these images and why they are of this specific area and why they are the only and earliest images available in Google Earth. Pretty interesting. :D

This has been around for at least 2 years :D

Those are areal photos taken by planes. They didn't map the entire world with those planes so you only have a limited amount of pictures.

It still seems strange that they have them taken in such random areas. The next pics show up in 1938 in southern Texas on the gulf of Mexico, then by 1948 there are a few spots in California. But they all seem so random.

It still seems strange that they have them taken in such random areas. The next pics show up in 1938 in southern Texas on the gulf of Mexico, then by 1948 there are a few spots in California. But they all seem so random.

You gotta remember many more of these were probably taken but we're lost or destroyed.

You gotta remember many more of these were probably taken but we're lost or destroyed.

Some of them would have been taken for military purposes. Of course some of them would not have been uploaded, It takes a lot of work to convert maps into digital images considering you have to scan a lot of imagery and get the scale right.

Google Earth has images from 1937.

Internet did not exist in 1937.

Government conspiracy???? I think yes.

Yes it did, it was used for military purposes, developed by DARPA

DARPA was founded in 1958 in response to Sputnik, wasn't it?

Can't tell whether you're joking or not.

tumblr_lctggyQ2811qbst30o1_500.jpg

Or what Emanick said.

Trololololol

Yeah I know that DARPA was a Cold-War-era creation as was ARPANET.

Trololololol

But the USSR existed in 1937 already, so there was the cold war

:D

Trololololol

:(

I repeat my previous post on this thread... :D

Trololololol

:(

I repeat my previous post on this thread... :D

Don't believe the truth (cit.), sheeple!

The Cold War 'symbolically' started in the 1960's with the Berlin blockade and airlift. Therefore the two would not relate due to the fact that these pictures were taken in 1937. However, the world was on the verge of WWII, so it is possible that there was military intent in these photos, or maybe for the idea of technological development. It's a debatable topic.

The Cold War 'symbolically' started in the 1960's with the Berlin blockade and airlift. Therefore the two would not relate due to the fact that these pictures were taken in 1937. However, the world was on the verge of WWII, so it is possible that there was military intent in these photos, or maybe for the idea of technological development. It's a debatable topic.
TBH...

The Cold War started on June 6th, 1944 when United States troops first set foot on European soil (not counting Italy which wasn't considered the road to Berlin) and the race for Germany began. From that point on, it became all about grabbing more European land than the Soviets.

Edited by theking1322

TBH...

The Cold War started on June 6th, 1944 when United States troops first set foot on European soil (not counting Italy which wasn't considered the road to Berlin) and the race for Germany began. From that point on, it became all about grabbing more European land than the Soviets.

Technically they were both part of the Allied forces, therefore were working for the same cause. There weren't any hostile movements towards each other, it was a collective effort. When the USSR blockaded Berlin from the West, it relatively began the idea that the Soviets were developing hostile feelings for the United States and other capitalistic nations and vice versa.

Technically they were both part of the Allied forces, therefore were working for the same cause. There weren't any hostile movements towards each other, it was a collective effort. When the USSR blockaded Berlin from the West, it relatively began the idea that the Soviets were developing hostile feelings for the United States and other capitalistic nations and vice versa.

Hardly. Stalin had his own agenda, the illusion of a US-British-Soviet alliance was created by the West.

Even in 1945, there were hostile feelings on both sides. Churchill thought up a plan to invade Eastern Europe using ex-German-POWs, called Operation Unthinkable.

Hardly. Stalin had his own agenda, the illusion of a US-British-Soviet alliance was created by the West.

Even in 1945, there were hostile feelings on both sides. Churchill thought up a plan to invade Eastern Europe using ex-German-POWs, called Operation Unthinkable.

Thinking that all this came from a humorous remark makes my head spin :(

Thinking that all this came from a humorous remark makes my head spin :(

This is the internet. It's serious business.

I thought I read something about the WWII cities that were designed as safe cities from bombing and what not

Or maybe that was cold war.... cold war wouldnt make much sense though due to the dev of weps of mass destruction

And it might have been technology, just to tell the world "hey we can take pictures from the sky" or something. Pretty random place for this, then again the US can be rather random in government related things..