Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Lookov

How Do You Think Runescape Will End?

I read this article on how star wars online is about to be shut down this year. Although I have never played the game and don't know anything about it, I couldn't help noticing similarities between it and Runescape. It was founded shortly after scape, in 2003, so the same era.

Apparently numbers were dwindling due to annoying updates, "player numbers have steadily declined as a series of updates alienated many established players."

Sound familiar? :(

I personally can't imagine scape going down for a while, but common sense says it will happen.

Jagex will move onto bigger and better things (in other words, more profitable) and will slowly stop updating RuneScape (unless RuneScape still generating enough for Jagex to keep a division devoted to it), to the point where they will shut down the game if it becomes unprofitable.

OK SWG was completely revolutionary. It had complete player owned houses, towns, cities and more. It made Eve look like a kiddie sandbox in comparison. Their mistake was trying to be like the other MMOs. When they started to make it more like the other games out there (combat oriented) it ruined the nice little niche community that was there. They had a huge falling out and what are left are ghost towns of homes and shops that players had all across the galaxy, empty and waiting for their owners.

Runescape's fate isn't like that. Runescape will die a slow death. Bots are already making many things in f2p impossible/a chore to do. F2p is also the major recruiting zone for new players. Once the new blood dies down there will be less and less people sticking around until we are totally overrun by bots. This is actually sorta happening as there are more bots on a server than players.

Runescape will not die with a bang but with a whimper.

The updates are something that has happened for a long time with RuneScape. That's not likely to make players leave. A massive, earthshattering update may not, either (read: Wilderness and Freetrade, removal and re-adding).

Runescape will end when Jagex have their next fantasy MMO set up nicely and have got a good crowd going in it. So much is broken in the current runescape that removes a lot of potential for growth.

Actually, i think current RS will end if they ever decide to do 'Runescape 3' which would be perfect as an alternative.

Star Wars Galaxies small population is around 100 people. Runescape currently has 200k subscribers and it is still the biggest free mmo, how many of those are bots doesn't matter, as they're still paying members.

As to it's death, over the next few years, but they'll want to get a new MMO out before then

Runescape is and always will be the most popular game.

However bad it gets, there will always be people(or computers) playing.

You can't really compare Star Wars Galaxies to RuneScape, RuneScape is a lot more popular and has a lot more players, but yeah I'm sure RuneScape will eventually die if JaGeX ever releases a better MMO. But I doubt they will 'shut down' RuneScape, if it loses a lot of members and stops being profitable JaGeX will probably just stop updating the game and make it free to play or something.

Edited by Micael Fatia

This is how:

Edited by _Zj

OK SWG was completely revolutionary. It had complete player owned houses, towns, cities and more. It made Eve look like a kiddie sandbox in comparison. Their mistake was trying to be like the other MMOs. When they started to make it more like the other games out there (combat oriented) it ruined the nice little niche community that was there. They had a huge falling out and what are left are ghost towns of homes and shops that players had all across the galaxy, empty and waiting for their owners.

Runescape's fate isn't like that. Runescape will die a slow death. Bots are already making many things in f2p impossible/a chore to do. F2p is also the major recruiting zone for new players. Once the new blood dies down there will be less and less people sticking around until we are totally overrun by bots. This is actually sorta happening as there are more bots on a server than players.

OMG COMPUTER ROBOTS TAKIN' OVER RENEESK4P3333

And what do you mean less players?

Maturity level of RS going down (more 12 year old rich kids) -> invite their friends -> Jagex gets mulah

I don't see RS dieing down for awhile. So far, a lot of the player base hates Jagex, but they won't quit.

E.g.

Player A is friends with Player B.

Player A wants to quit, but Player B convinces him not too.

~~~2 months later~~~

Player B wants to quit, but Player A convinces him not too.

This is what happens in RuneScape. It's like 2 knights in chess protecting each other. It takes something MAJOR (like a pawn capturing one of the knights, or, in my scenario, Jagex fluking really bad and making Player A/B quit) to cause another to quit. IK that if I didn't have any friends on 'Scape I'd be done about 3 years ago.

Runescape is and always will be the most popular game.

However bad it gets, there will always be people(or computers) playing.

runescape has only ever been labeled as a "the most popular mmo" because it falls under the most popular free mmo

games like wow etc are more popular

i give rs another few years at best

It will end when a giant black dragon erupts from beneath and changes the world forever.

It probably will just stop being updated at one point, Jagex will be having a meeting and then decided "Hey, profits are getting too low to keep RS around, let's stop updating it."

And that will be that

BOTS! Simple as that. Just wait for everything to becoming annoying, and then gone.

I agree with helm lardar. The only thing that's going to stop rs is rs 3. I believe rs is yet to peak (profit wise) and will go on strong for many years to come.

Runescape will end with the bots. As bots become more intelligent to combat Jagex's new anti-bot techniques, they will wage war against the humans. In a last effort attempt, the humans will blot out the sun to cut off the bots' main energy source. Little to the knowledge of the humans, there is plenty of energy sources in a sunless world - human beings. The bots will grow millions of human beings in pods and harvest their bioeletrical energy. Only Neo Avatars - the One - can save us from this destruction.

Edited by Sobend

F2P Players find it annoying to accomplish much with all the bots, so the new players coming in dwindles. Many P2P get annoyed with bots, or just grow out of RuneScape.

I think any major update to PvP at this point, would kill the game.

I find it hard to see RuneScape going 5+ years without a major bot cleanout.

Runescape currently has 200k subscribers and it is still the biggest free mmo, how many of those are bots doesn't matter, as they're still paying members.

No they're not, they're playing for free...? And advertising gains some revenue, but not nearly enough to keep Runescape going.

Runescape currently has 200k subscribers and it is still the biggest free mmo, how many of those are bots doesn't matter, as they're still paying members.

No they're not, they're playing for free...? And advertising gains some revenue, but not nearly enough to keep Runescape going.

Including free, Runescape has over 2,000,000 members :(

Runescape will die when it's niche is filled by something better. Currently, Runescape is still around because it's free/cheap, it can be played on bad computers, it can be played in your browser, and it's much less complicated than other MMOs. These are the ONLY reasons Runescape has stuck around for as long as it has. Really, the only thing that comes close are facebook-esque games, and they aren't nearly as large as Runescape is. The only other competitor Runescape has for it's spot are other f2p games such as League of Legends or the countless WoW clones that are out there, but then again these games require hefty downloads and a decently nice computer to run them. Runescape, for the moment, is completely unique.

I think Jagex will kill Runescape themselves. They've been working on their space MMO for a long time now, not to mention the transformers MMO they're also developing, and both are guaranteed to be better than Runescape. The deciding factor will be if they're able to replace Runescape's qualities. If they're just like Runescape (browser based, low requirements, cheap, ect.) but better, Runescape will surely die. If they're like the large amount of free downloadable mmo's, then Runescape will live.

If Jagex want's to keep Runescape going on for years to come, their best bet would be to make Runescape 3. Runescape, as it currently is, has loads of terrible problems that keeps it from competing with more powerful MMOs, and the current engine their using can't fix the majority of these. Computers are constantly getting better, and one that was high end a year or two ago can now be bought on a budget. More and more people can buy nicer computers, allowing them to play better games.

When Runescape eventually dies, I expect it to go quietly, like Funorb. Funorb was practically abandoned by Jagex after it wasn't making money, and although it's still available to fans, it's population has dwindled to almost nothing. Eventually, Runescape will share the same fate, sooner than later if nothing is done to fix it now. After it's servers are cut, I expect it to still be around for a couple years on private servers before eventually dying out.

It will never die completely. I will always stay on the game, even when more popular games come out. 200,000 subscribers plus how ever many potential customers, it looks like it wont go anywhere until I need to stop playing (Like 20's maybe?) :(

Galaxies screwed over when they did the combat update and then even more so when they made it class based.

No runescape will have a much more grander death, with the clatter of anvils of the death of the internet!

OMG COMPUTER ROBOTS TAKIN' OVER RENEESK4P3333

And what do you mean less players?

Maturity level of RS going down (more 12 year old rich kids) -> invite their friends -> Jagex gets mulah

I don't see RS dieing down for awhile. So far, a lot of the player base hates Jagex, but they won't quit.

E.g.

Player A is friends with Player B.

Player A wants to quit, but Player B convinces him not too.

~~~2 months later~~~

Player B wants to quit, but Player A convinces him not too.

This is what happens in RuneScape. It's like 2 knights in chess protecting each other. It takes something MAJOR (like a pawn capturing one of the knights, or, in my scenario, Jagex fluking really bad and making Player A/B quit) to cause another to quit. IK that if I didn't have any friends on 'Scape I'd be done about 3 years ago.

Most of the active players aren't even players. They're bots. That's a huge sign that something is wrong.

Also both players move on with their lives?

Here's what I mean by less players. When somebody first joins they're going to be f2p. F2p sucks right now because there's such a huge botting presence. That means that less people decide to stick around and become members. That means that there are less new players. That means that eventually the quit/join ratio will be flung so that they can't replace the people that quit. Everybody eventually moves on after runescape. It's a great starter mmo and a good intro into the online world but people tend to move on after a while and with less and less people deciding to commit, runescape will slowly die.

That or if Jagex stops updating it for something else.

Either way no bang, just a whimper.

'Scape is still going very strong, and is becoming more and more profitable for Jagex. Don't expect it to shut down any time soon. I find it highly unlikely that a single event will bring Runescape (or whatever it has become by then) to a halt, unless the servers need to be shut down due to financial/legal problems.

Rather, as tastes in MMORPGs gradually shift and 'Scape no longer appeals to such a wide community, and when it has many of its competitive edges taken away (being browser based is its greatest strong point, but it's not certain that the quality of a browser based game will be able to keep up), its players will leave. As the playerbase evaporates, a lot of what made the game what it was will go with it. As old players disappear, updates will become less frequent, and soon enough the game will be forgotten.

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a whimper.

once they stop updating due to another game.

people will still play but eventually it will slow down. I'd assume after a few years of it slowing down, members will be f2p.