The Elder Scrolls

Skryim  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What difficulty do you play on?

• apprentice, cause i'm an rpg noob
    • adept
    • expert
    • master, cause i dunt have lyfe

reloaded the Gauldurson fight over 10 times because of one hit kill fus ro dah from 6 clones at once.

a week later i realised it tricks you into thinking you're dead but your char actually stands up.

Don't think you can mic

On a side note joe many of you still play

Personal I play maybe once a week now

i advise everyone to try a master playthrough,makes the game so much more awesome.

cant kill the Gauldurson bros slanty.gif

damn dude has to make 6 clones that hit as hard as him.

not to mention they fus ro dah you at the same time.

Yeah I know what you mean. I spent most of my levels improving my Magicka and not my health; their damn shouts kill me almost every time. Try using Become Ethereal and cast flame/lightning cloaks. Run by their guys or just hit the real ghost (he wears the distinct helmet). Hide behind pillars.

On a side-note, I found a great way to prevent follower deaths--use the 100% poison resistance Dark Brotherhood armor or the 100% poison/disease resistance Mask. Also, one of the masks cuts Destruction/Restoration magicka usage by 20% and adds 50 magicka. Combine with Master Robes of Destruction and a set of matching jewelry for the ultimately price reduction. That said, my character's already got 100 Destruction (I barely use Conjuration).

Also, the perfect way to level Pickpocketing is to get the sleeping perk and the cash perk. Falion is a Conjuration trainer--catch him around his bedtime and interrupt him. You can usually train with him as he's getting up, pickpocket before he turns around to sleep again, train before he sleeps, and then pickpocket when he's unconscious. Rinse and repeat many times. Soon enough, you'll have 100 Pickpocketing and quite a few Conjuration levels (up to 75 or 90). Better, your pickpocketing level increases quickly because of the increasing amounts of gold he carries after training you--so you level up and can keep training with him.

Yeah I know what you mean. I spent most of my levels improving my Magicka and not my health; their damn shouts kill me almost every time. Try using Become Ethereal and cast flame/lightning cloaks. Run by their guys or just hit the real ghost (he wears the distinct helmet). Hide behind pillars.

Actually, you don't die. You're just blown away by Unrelenting Force, you stand back up again once you land. It doesn't actually do damage to you, it just makes you think you die like the 1-hit KO killcams.

So I finally had some time on my hand and managed to start Skyrim. Over 60 hours played and I'm 52 so far, finished the part in Blackreach (my God, that entire kingdom was epic in scale :blink: ) in the storyline, thinking about not doing the immediate step after and finishing some other storylines, like the Thieves Guild and possibly something else. I feel like I've done tons, but I've only really cleared Whiterun, Winterholm and Riften (more or less). I didn't get to do much in Solitude, so I should tackle that too, and all the other major cities that I haven't discovered... :s

I guess I've just been so absorbed running from sidequest to sidequest, dungeon to dungeon, that I've neglected exploring cities and what not.

As a game, it's insanely epic in both scope and general feel of the game. The entire bloody world actually feels like home and the nature over here, so it's kind of awesome to wander through landscape nearly identical with my homecounty. :P

I am, however, terribly dissapointed by the difficulty of the game though. I started on Expert because I figured it was like the Fallout games (I got fed up with Oblivion so never really played that much, all in all) in which it was hard in the beginning but substantially easier once levelled, but god damn, I wasn't aware of how easy the game would be on Expert. I switched to Master, and I'm not really challenged at all, because even at lower levels, I could usually go through dungeons without a follower. It's not better now that I've gotten my skills up, so that's killing the joy I get from the game. Bethesda games in general just doesn't suit my playstyle because I have an OCD approach to power-leveling, and Bethesda games in general is a bloody failiure at being flexible like that due to their auto-level system (but then having set variable ranges). Either you're unlucky and overlevel, suddenly facing overgeared enemies in subpar gear (hi Oblivion) in which you don't actually have the learning curve behind you, or like on Skyrim where the curve isn't steep enough to be a challenge.

It's just one of those reasons why I strongly prefer fixed levels and difficulties on mobs, but at least not every thug and bandit in this game is dressed in Daedric gear, unlike Oblivion.

@Bob: There's no real need to actually give tips about pickpocketing though. All you really need to do is grab stuff from any NPC you come across, you should get 100 in no time. I wouldn't recommend farming it anyway, it's unnecessary player levels in the beginning, which could make things iffy for new players. :P

Also, if you cycle Alchemy and Enchanting a bit, you should reach 25% destruction reduction per piece and then 4 pieces = destruction spells cost no magicka, although I don't really recommend it, it's as broken as the way Impact is from how the spells stagger anything when dual cast. Sneaking, Melee and Range ends up being more challenging and thus more fun. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

I found out something interesting that I'd never thought of before: alchemy is a necessary skill to get the very best gear.

If, for example, we say that a daedric sword is the best possible base weapon and we want to improve it to be the most incredible ever, we need a 100 in alchemy, enchanting, and smithing.

First, you get alchemy to 100 and make fortify alchemy potions, then you use those potions to make stronger alchemy potions. Using those super strength alchemy potions you make super strength enchantment and smithing potions.

You then get enchanting to 100 and make all possible 'fortify smithing' enchantments on your gear (using your enchanting potion), with the best possible % increases in ability from armour, glove, ring, amulet, and weapon (possibly dual wielding the notched pickaxe enchant?).

Only then do you make your daedric sword and get 100 smithing, so that you can improve it with the best possible gear and smithing potion boost. I'm not sure how strong it can end up being, but it could become pretty strong.

Oh, and you max out the relevant damage/speed enhancing perks in one handed skill too, obviously.

I'd always thought Alchemy to be a useless skill, but now I'll have to think again.

Edited by Helm Lardar

Yeah, I noticed that too. I initially thought that Blacksmithing and Enchanting were the necessary skills to power up your gear, and in a way, that's true. What I didn't anticipate was that Alchemy could augment the performance of those skills, creating stronger abilties and then cycle them to get max potential out of them. I guess there's a cap at some point, but still, even with the base 100 alchemy, smithing and enchanting as I had (didn't bother to cycle that much, only up until the point where I could get 100% destruction cost (25% x 4 pieces) reduction for destruction magic training), the game is laughably easy. :/

I guess I'm just dissapointed, Alduin in particular was a sheer dissapointment. You shouldn't be able to defeat the final boss in a game, on the hardest difficulty, without having to heal, only running up to him and spamming a regular sword swing.

I get that I had an advantage by wearing light dragon armor and having 100 enchanting, alchemy and blacksmithing, but when the enchantment on that gear is very basic that's availible for anyone just after 100 in those skills, and not even having 60 one-handed skill, you shouldn't be able to walk over a boss that way. Something went horribly wrong in the game tuning. Master was very challenging at first when you were new to the game and you had to kite a lot (especially dragons were a pain in the behind, before I realized Fus Ro Dah actually stunned out their breath attack) and actually use the skills you had to your advantage.

Still, it's a great game. Even after finishing the main quest yesterday, I want to continue in the future, just not now. I'd rather go play Kingdoms of Amalur, then come back to Skyrim and finish up the Thieves storyline and also the Companion one, find the Dark Brotherhood since I have the "find DB" quest, and actually join either the Stormcloaks or the Imperials and choose a side.

It's a massive game, but... cruising through things get boring, and removing gear didn't really help in making it that much harder anyway. >.<

I found out something interesting that I'd never thought of before: alchemy is a necessary skill to get the very best gear.

If, for example, we say that a daedric sword is the best possible base weapon and we want to improve it to be the most incredible ever, we need a 100 in alchemy, enchanting, and smithing.

First, you get alchemy to 100 and make fortify alchemy potions, then you use those potions to make stronger alchemy potions. Using those super strength alchemy potions you make super strength enchantment and smithing potions.

You then get enchanting to 100 and make all possible 'fortify smithing' enchantments on your gear (using your enchanting potion), with the best possible % increases in ability from armour, glove, ring, amulet, and weapon (possibly dual wielding the notched pickaxe enchant?).

Only then do you make your daedric sword and get 100 smithing, so that you can improve it with the best possible gear and smithing potion boost. I'm not sure how strong it can end up being, but it could become pretty strong.

Oh, and you max out the relevant damage/speed enhancing perks in one handed skill too, obviously.

I'd always thought Alchemy to be a useless skill, but now I'll have to think again.

This has been out there for so long haha

Iirc they got a longsWord up to like 500 dmg

I've had Skyrim for a while but never really played it, and I regret that. This game is so much fun. I'll tell you where I'm at thus far.

I wanted to make a mage, so from the start I've been using destruction magic and usually flame spells. I've finished the main questline, the college, the civil war, and a bunch of side quests and misc objectives. I've done all of this on Adept. Destruction magic is all I use. I haven't really been using any other type of magic, and I'm not sure how to improve my gear. My destruction is at 63 and I've bought the perks I need.

For my head slot, I don't know whether to wear Morokei (100% magicka regen) or Nahkriin (50% magicka regen, -20% destruction cost)

I wear Archmage's Robes (100% magicka regen, +50 magicka, -15% all spells cost)

I'm wearing a -12% destruction cost ring

I've been walking around barefoot :(

Edited by Keegan

I've had Skyrim for a while but never really played it, and I regret that. This game is so much fun. I'll tell you where I'm at thus far.

I wanted to make a mage, so from the start I've been using destruction magic and usually flame spells. I've finished the main questline, the college, the civil war, and a bunch of side quests and misc objectives. I've done all of this on Adept. Destruction magic is all I use. I haven't really been using any other type of magic, and I'm not sure how to improve my gear. My destruction is at 63 and I've bought the perks I need.

For my head slot, I don't know whether to wear Morokei (100% magicka regen) or Nahkriin (50% magicka regen, -20% destruction cost)

It really defeats the game to play on adept :(

Depending on the spells you use, I'd choose Nahkriin: you can upgrade it with a good smithing skill to become a quite formidable helmet as well.

Rather than walking barefoot, I'd strongly advise getting a pair of armoured boots and enchanting them to give you either muffle or increased carry weight. Muffle is incredible: so long as they can't see you, they'll never notice you and it makes sneaking around a base that much easier.

AS per the general topic: I'm considering making a new character, but am unsure what to go for. I have a sneaky argonian, but I don't know whether to pursue that or a *really* strong warrior.

Interesting fact: daedra and ebony become very simple to obtain after completing two quests. Gold, however, I've yet to find a decent mine for.

Edited by Helm Lardar

Depending on the spells you use, I'd choose Nahkriin: you can upgrade it with a good smithing skill to become a quite formidable helmet as well.

Rather than walking barefoot, I'd strongly advise getting a pair of armoured boots and enchanting them to give you either muffle or increased carry weight. Muffle is incredible: so long as they can't see you, they'll never notice you and it makes sneaking around a base that much easier.

AS per the general topic: I'm considering making a new character, but am unsure what to go for. I have a sneaky argonian, but I don't know whether to pursue that or a *really* strong warrior.

Interesting fact: daedra and ebony become very simple to obtain after completing two quests. Gold, however, I've yet to find a decent mine for.

My favorite mask remains Nahkriin. I don't like the Archmage's Robes--I much prefer Master Robes of Destruction.

As for gold, I'm up to over 100K now. My method has been to only pickup loot that's either really useful or worth at least 10 g/wt. Add in the Extra Pockets perk and Steed Stone (NW of Solitude)--bare minimum 4K gold per trip.

Why not transmute iron ore which, in all fairness, is incredibly cheap and widely availible in large quantities? Just transmute while running back on forth. :P

Why not transmute iron ore which, in all fairness, is incredibly cheap and widely availible in large quantities? Just transmute while running back on forth. :P

That's a sweet thought: I didn't know that spell existed.

In other news, dual wielding maces is great fun!

Something incredibly stupid happened to me today, I was going to visit Dawnstar (a Stormcloak city) for the first time in this save and saw a couple Imperial soldiers fighting a city guard in the woods, there was a second guard near the entrance of the city ranging but he wasn't really helping much so the first guard was getting his ass kicked. Now I haven't picked a side yet in this save but I sympathize more with the Stormcloaks because the Thalmor are complete dicks and the Imperials basically let them do whatever they want, and I guess that's why I decided to save the guard who had just entered the 'knocked out' state. I kill the Imperials easily but for some strange reason the battle music continues playing, and I'm like "wat" then I notice there's still a red dot in the minimap - "there's an Imperial hiding?" "nah can't be the dot is too close to me". The guard finally gets up and attacks me. Wat.

Apparently for some stupid reason attacking/killing Imperial soldiers in Stormcloak territory is a crime even when they are fighting guards. :huh:

Something incredibly stupid happened to me today, I was going to visit Dawnstar (a Stormcloak city) for the first time in this save and saw a couple Imperial soldiers fighting a city guard in the woods, there was a second guard near the entrance of the city ranging but he wasn't really helping much so the first guard was getting his ass kicked. Now I haven't picked a side yet in this save but I sympathize more with the Stormcloaks because the Thalmor are complete dicks and the Imperials basically let them do whatever they want, and I guess that's why I decided to save the guard who had just entered the 'knocked out' state. I kill the Imperials easily but for some strange reason the battle music continues playing, and I'm like "wat" then I notice there's still a red dot in the minimap - "there's an Imperial hiding?" "nah can't be the dot is too close to me". The guard finally gets up and attacks me. Wat.

Apparently for some stupid reason attacking/killing Imperial soldiers in Stormcloak territory is a crime even when they are fighting guards. :huh:

Were the guards themselves stormcloaks, or just stormcloak affiliated? Because if they aren't stormcloaks, then killing anyone is still a crime.

I really wish I hadn't sold lots of my enchanted gear early on. Now my mace-wielding nord is having a tough time getting his enchanting up. Is there a way to power level enchanting and alchemy like you can smithing?

I've barely touched the Enchanting and Alchemy skills despite my Smithing being roughy around 80, but then I spend a lot of time just wandering around and doing whatever takes my fancy. I only really bother training Alchemy when i'm near Whiterun and pop into my house using all ingredients on the Alchemy set or if I find one in a Dungeon somewhere. Finally got involved with the Dark Brotherhood, shat my pants slightly at the Night Mother. I guess that's what I get for playing into the early hours of the morning with no lights on in the room :(

Were the guards themselves stormcloaks, or just stormcloak affiliated? Because if they aren't stormcloaks, then killing anyone is still a crime.

Dawnstar guards so stomcloak affiliated, but doesn't matter it's still stupid. The guards can kill them but you can't, doesn't make any sense.

I did an assassination for Dawnstar having never visited before, managed to successfully kill without anyone noticing (a sexy 50m+ shot from the Mountains behind it I might add) and then checked my bounty, it was at 0. Then I get down into Dawnstar proper and a single guard attacks me, none of the others interested. Now I still have 0 bounty, but this one butt-hurt guard is attacking me and I can't do anything because then I WILL get a bounty. So maybe Dawnstar is a bit messed up with the guards? I dunno.

I did an assassination for Dawnstar having never visited before, managed to successfully kill without anyone noticing (a sexy 50m+ shot from the Mountains behind it I might add) and then checked my bounty, it was at 0. Then I get down into Dawnstar proper and a single guard attacks me, none of the others interested. Now I still have 0 bounty, but this one butt-hurt guard is attacking me and I can't do anything because then I WILL get a bounty. So maybe Dawnstar is a bit messed up with the guards? I dunno.

It dawned on them that you are an evil person.

I really wish I hadn't sold lots of my enchanted gear early on. Now my mace-wielding nord is having a tough time getting his enchanting up. Is there a way to power level enchanting and alchemy like you can smithing?

If you have the 100 pickpocket skill, just steal Whiterun guards' uniforms from outside and enchant them, drop them, repeat.

Edited by O hai im KAMIL

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.