Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thepope1322

Rein: Pc Gaming Has "shot By" Consoles

Epic's Mark Rein has talked up the importance of PC to the future of gaming, insisting: "We're at the stage in the life of the consoles where the PC has shot by them in terms of capabilities."

Echoing comments made by id Software's John Carmack at E3, who said current PC gaming tech was "ten times as powerful" as current consoles, Rein argued that PC was "always the most important leading edge platform". Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer TV, in the first part of a series of video features on PC gaming, Epic Games' VP said: "Don't forget every game that's ultimately built is built on a PC. PCs are always going to be the tools through which all games get made.

"With the PC you can simulate the future – you can put enough hardware in a PC to show you what a future console will look like."

Epic grabbed headlines at GDC earlier this year with its Samaritan Unreal demo, created to showcase the near-future of high-end gaming, but running on ultra-high spec current PC tech. "It was kind of our love letter to hardware manufacturers," Rein explained. "The next-gen, we expect, will look like that. If you fast forward a year or two years that should be a fairly common gamer's spec.

"We hope the console manufactures look at that and go, jeez, if we aim for that in our next consoles we'll be competitive with what you'll be able to do on a PC in a year, year and half from now. A reasonably priced PC - obviously you can do it on an expensive PC already."

There's more from Mark Rein and others in The Future Of PC Gaming Pt.1, which you can watch below. Part 2 will be published next Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOGbRfO1fI...player_embedded

Finally people are recognizing the obvious superiority of PC games. We have technology and capabilities now that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will never have.

Epic's Mark Rein has talked up the importance of PC to the future of gaming, insisting: "We're at the stage in the life of the consoles where the PC has shot by them in terms of capabilities."

Echoing comments made by id Software's John Carmack at E3, who said current PC gaming tech was "ten times as powerful" as current consoles, Rein argued that PC was "always the most important leading edge platform". Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer TV, in the first part of a series of video features on PC gaming, Epic Games' VP said: "Don't forget every game that's ultimately built is built on a PC. PCs are always going to be the tools through which all games get made.

"With the PC you can simulate the future – you can put enough hardware in a PC to show you what a future console will look like."

Epic grabbed headlines at GDC earlier this year with its Samaritan Unreal demo, created to showcase the near-future of high-end gaming, but running on ultra-high spec current PC tech. "It was kind of our love letter to hardware manufacturers," Rein explained. "The next-gen, we expect, will look like that. If you fast forward a year or two years that should be a fairly common gamer's spec.

"We hope the console manufactures look at that and go, jeez, if we aim for that in our next consoles we'll be competitive with what you'll be able to do on a PC in a year, year and half from now. A reasonably priced PC - obviously you can do it on an expensive PC already."

There's more from Mark Rein and others in The Future Of PC Gaming Pt.1, which you can watch below. Part 2 will be published next Friday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OOGbRfO1fI...player_embedded

Finally people are recognizing the obvious superiority of PC games. We have technology and capabilities now that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will never have.

I believe the console is slowly going to die out, go the way of arcade machines

The future is cloud based gaming through mobiles/tablets and laptops

We have technology and capabilities now that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will never have.

The 360 and PS3 won't, but I assume it'd be in the next cohort of consoles. :(

I'm a console gamer, but I won't deny that you can get PCs that are vastly superior than my PS3. However, on the other side of the spectrum, there are a lot that are far worse than my PS3 :D

I think a Dice employee was caught saying this the other month and look at what happened to Crysis 2 I can't blame anyone for saying PCs are miles ahead of consoles, or atleast being hinderd by multiplatting to consoles.

I believe the console is slowly going to die out, go the way of arcade machines

The future is cloud based gaming through mobiles/tablets and laptops

Consoles are generally much more conveniant to use so untill gaming PCs and laptops are dumbed down, it'll be along time untill you see the back of Consoles.

Though it could be likely that future consoles are more like PCs but special Operating systems.

We have technology and capabilities now that the Xbox 360 and PS3 will never have.

The 360 and PS3 won't, but I assume it'd be in the next cohort of consoles. :(

I'm a console gamer, but I won't deny that you can get PCs that are vastly superior than my PS3. However, on the other side of the spectrum, there are a lot that are far worse than my PS3 :D

Yeah, but a year after the PS4/whatever comes out, someone will come out with a graphics card or CPU that will completely annihilate the consoles anyway.

PC is obviously superior, consoles are so 90s and 2000s. I mean who has an xbox 360 or ps3 anymore?

we are in the 10s, tech up console noobs

There's a simple reason consoles are strong: price. What sort of percentage of video game purchasers earn money? What sort of percentage are kids?

Now think, how much does a decent gaming rig cost you? And how much does a console cost you?

I much prefer gaming on PC, but that's more because I prefer the FPS, RTS and MMO games.

While I don't deny that pc gaming is better than consoles in most ways, I doubt most people will be able to go to the pc for a long time. I know I won't because at the rate I make money, it would just be a waste to drop $1500 on a decent gaming pc when I could buy a $300 console and spend the money on something else. So until decent gaming computers become cheaper, I doubt consoles will die.

There's a simple reason consoles are strong: price. What sort of percentage of video game purchasers earn money? What sort of percentage are kids?

Now think, how much does a decent gaming rig cost you? And how much does a console cost you?

I much prefer gaming on PC, but that's more because I prefer the FPS, RTS and MMO games.

Consoles are a lot cheaper than a PC, but PC games are cheaper than console games. So if you buy a lot of PC games you'll eventually have paid less for a console with the same games. But it is a LOT of games, especially if you want a really good PC. I'm sticking mostly with consoles until I'm either filthy rich or PC gaming becomes cheaper.

Lol @ people who think they have to "drop $1500" on a gaming PC. I built my current PC for less than $700 and it runs Battlefield Bad Company 2 at 1920x1080, 4x AA, Maximum detail and 40+ FPS.

Lol @ people who think they have to "drop $1500" on a gaming PC. I built my current PC for less than $700 and it runs Battlefield Bad Company 2 at 1920x1080, 4x AA, Maximum detail and 40+ FPS.

That's building though, which is comparatively difficult to buying something all nice and ready for you. What do you think is the percentage of console players who know how to cheaply and effectively source all the parts of a PC then build it single-handedly? It won't be very high.

That's still more than twice what I could pay for an Xbox 360. Sure it looks really pretty and is clearly vastly superior technologically to the Xbox 360, in the current market I'm missing out on very little by going with the convenient and cost effective console route.

I really don't even think cost is the deciding factor, but convenience and ease of use. Consoles require no more than plugging in to play, there's very little if any set-up. Even better, with a console I know every game I buy will work without any (or very few) hiccups, whereas with my PC I have to worry about whether a game will run. I have spent afternoons trying to figure out why I keep getting CTDs and now I need to download new drivers except I can't because some of my hardware is outdated and isn't supported now I have to go and spend more money what the fudge.

That's why the average consumer will stick to consoles, and PC gamers will just have to realize that unless a game is a PC exclusive, they'll have to deal with their hardware being under utilized.

That's still more than twice what I could pay for an Xbox 360. Sure it looks really pretty and is clearly vastly superior technologically to the Xbox 360, in the current market I'm missing out on very little by going with the convenient and cost effective console route.

Xbox 360 + 20 games = 350$ + 500$ = 850$

PC + uTorrent = 700$

Argument invalid, good sir

:(

(But yes, you do have a strong point about standardised hardware.)

Percentage of softcore gamers/young teenagers willing to do that? The console market lives on because of the majority.

I have a $700 laptop that plays crysis on high at about 40-50 fps and I get solid 60fps on TF2 and 30fps on high/DX11 Far Cry 2.

Comes with a built in screen, too. :(

I have a $700 laptop that plays crysis on high at about 40-50 fps and I get solid 60fps on TF2 and 30fps on high/DX11 Far Cry 2.

A laptop? With a built in screen? :D

A laptop? With a built in screen? :D

We are living in the future!!

I thought it was a good deal. Most of my laptops usually don't come with screens...and for some reason the UPS boxes are always re-taped??

PC + uTorrent = 700$

But if I shoplifted those 20 games I'd still be $350 ahead. :D

Edited by heb0

PC + uTorrent = 700$

But if I shoplifted those 20 games I'd still be $350 ahead. :D

What if I shoplifted the computer parts? I'd be $350 ahead.

Wait are they saying that modern PCs are more powerful than 7 year old hardware that was hardly considered cutting edge by the standards of the day?

I never would have guessed.

Also, saw this on RPS a while ago. Old news is old.

Gaming rigs aren't just used for gaming ya' know? What can you do on your Xbox? Play games? Watch movies? Lol. PC you can do everything a console does (a lot better too) AND a thousand more things. You buy a console and you can only game on it, you buy a PC and you could do practically anything. Therefore, PC > Consoles (cost wise and performance wise).

BOOM.

Gaming rigs aren't just used for gaming ya' know? What can you do on your Xbox? Play games? Watch movies? Lol. PC you can do everything a console does (a lot better too) AND a thousand more things. You buy a console and you can only game on it, you buy a PC and you could do practically anything. Therefore, PC > Consoles (cost wise and performance wise).

BOOM.

Or you can buy a console and an incredibly cheap PC and it will probably still cost less than a PC tailor-made for gaming.

BOOM.

Or you can buy a console and an incredibly cheap PC and it will probably still cost less than a PC tailor-made for gaming.

You're forgetting to add in the price of a decent TV though.

BOOM.

You're forgetting to add in the price of a decent TV though.

This, a lot of people take the TV price for granted. I personally haven't had a TV on my flat for the past 5 years, because I've had no interest/need to have a TV because I can catch up with movies and TV shows regardless of how my contract includes free cable TV. All I need is the laptop, but there are a lot of games I'd like to play on consoles that I've been unable to do so because if I were to get a console, I'd also have to get a TV, which would make the estimated price around the range of buying a proper gaming PC all over again, so yeah... :D

For people with a TV, it's not really that big a deal, but not everyone care to have one. :(

PC screens can set you back quite abit aswell unless your content with a plug and play, which I'm starting to get abit sick of.

But building your own PC isn't that hard, and you can drop the price down to a 1/5 if you build it yourself instead of getting it premade by someone like Alienware. Companies Dell do pretty cheap pre-builts but again, not as cheap building it yourself.

It's not hard to do either, everything fits in somewhere, imagine it's like Lego.

PC gaming has been ahead for awhile, and I'm sure Dice commented on this recently when talking about Battlefield 3. It's just alot easier to put something out on the console because of the convenience of it.

I don't think Consoles gaming will get over taken by PC gaming because people are just too used to it, and have been for some time. They're better for playing with friends, the controls are more user friendly and there's already extensive chat options built it if you're online. They're also litterally plug in and play. I know a good PC will boot up instantly and you can just pop the game on but I'm afraid for most people in a week you'd be waiting 10 minutes for it to boot.

FYI, I prefer PC gaming

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.