Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Helm Lardar

Spell Quivers

Recently I've been trying to RP as a mage in world 42, and it's struck me just how many runes your average magician would need to carry around to use most of the modern spellbook. Almost every single rune is there, unsurprisingly, which makes up more than half of your inventory.

Now, I was thinking of this strictly from a gameplay perspective, and this is a problem that's pretty much unique to magic: no other skill has this in common. Ranged has a quiver slot, melee doesn't need more than 1 extra spot for a secondary, special attack weapon (which occasionally ranged needs, and is perfectly reasonable), and when you get into the realm of crossbow bolts, there's a pouch that can contain a great deal of them (up to 6 types, stacks of 250 each) for you.

Why can't we use the quiver slot for a spell or two?

You see, in the standard spellbook, there are three main types of combat spell: elemental power, binding, and curses (e.g. confuse) .

Now normally people only use a couple of those, and there's a reason for that: use too many spells and you risk wasting inventory spaces for food and so on. But if you were really a mage in Gielinor, you'd have pouches or somesuch to carry runes in.

Have the quiver slot hold one elemental spell, one bind spell, and one curse spell, up to infinite stacks, or have something that can be equipped in the quiver slot that can hold these three.

Of course, there are the other spellbooks. Ancient magic is effectively elemental spells combined with bind spells or curses. As a result, perhaps you could fit even three combat spells in the slots: for example a smoke spell in the first, an ice spell in the second, and a blood spell in the third.

Finally, if you have a spell equipped, you get the option to switch to it in the combat menu, regardless of wether you have a staff. What I mean is that you have three small buttons at the bottom of the attack menu, below the special attack, where you can see the three spell icons. Then you can cast them from there and switch quickly and easily rather than have this clumsy 'use' mechanic.

dungeoneering blastbox?

but the idea of putting some spells in the combat menu is good.

Yeah, but the dungeoneering blastbox is something that comes into play not before 63 dungeoneering, and then can only hold a single combat spell. It's too pricey to be something the average joe can just casually carry around, and it doesn't account for the 3 groups of spells an effective combat mage should use, i.e. binds and curses in addition to normal spells.

Although if this was implemented people would need to be able to get a refund if they bought one.

I think with some polishing, this could actually be a decent idea. It seems pretty helpful, and your points about Range and Magic not need many inventory slots is definitely valid. Maybe in addition to this you could store all of your runes in one of the equipment slots like you would arrows or your weapon.

I think with some polishing, this could actually be a decent idea. It seems pretty helpful, and your points about Range and Magic not need many inventory slots is definitely valid. Maybe in addition to this you could store all of your runes in one of the equipment slots like you would arrows or your weapon.

I think all of the runes would be somewhat overpowered, and perhaps rather unecessary. Perhaps you could store an enchantment or teleport spell in the curse/bind sections, but it needs to be somewhat balanced: even a melee'r needs to use an inventory slot for his surprise weapon, and a ranged person needs to store his extra-powerful arrows in the inventory: so having a mage store extra, unusual spells somewhere different isn't a disaster.

What areas do you think it needs polishing in? I'd love to hear your ideas, other than the rune-store-in-quiver point that I've already made.

A book that holds them (TRADEABLE NOT DUMB DUNGEONEERING STUFF) would be awesome, think of it a meleer or ranger dosen't need anything in their inventory but mager needs to take up like 4 spots? not very fair

A book that holds them (TRADEABLE NOT DUMB DUNGEONEERING STUFF) would be awesome, think of it a meleer or ranger dosen't need anything in their inventory but mager needs to take up like 4 spots? not very fair

A weildable book with mage bonuses.

Can hold like a 100 casts of up to 5 spells?

A weildable book with mage bonuses.

Can hold like a 100 casts of up to 5 spells?

I think having the three core spells in it would be good, but it shouldn't need to be something rare or difficult to find.

And to be honest a book is pushing it because magers already have 3 or 4 books to choose from: Ancient, Frost, Mage's, and finally Zamorak. Ust using the already existing quiver slot makes much more sense, even if it is a pouch you equip in that slot rather than the runes themselves.

idk doesnt make much sense to me, seems like a "mages should be more powerful" suggestion.

quivers actually make a lot of sense as there could be different kinds of arrows in your inventory while you are wielding something. melee is melee, hitting people with objects doesnt need much. A mage quiver doesnt make much sense, how does this quiver cast spells I dont get it. It just seems like the people who support this want more room because spells need runes and runes take space, I dont see much merit behind this idea and the system how it is works better than it would with this I think.

idk doesnt make much sense to me, seems like a "mages should be more powerful" suggestion.

quivers actually make a lot of sense as there could be different kinds of arrows in your inventory while you are wielding something. melee is melee, hitting people with objects doesnt need much. A mage quiver doesnt make much sense, how does this quiver cast spells I dont get it. It just seems like the people who support this want more room because spells need runes and runes take space, I dont see much merit behind this idea and the system how it is works better than it would with this I think.

Rangers only ever need 1 inventory space for an extra type of arrow. If they are using a crossbow with many types of bolt, Jagex has provided a bolt pouch so there's no problems there.

Melee at most only ever needs 1 inventory space, for a special attack weapon. As I said at the top.

A mage quiver, while not a quiver, may be thought of as a series of pouches with the appropriate runes inside, like a mage would actually use. A quiver doesn't shoot arrows: your lips say the spells and the runes project your innate magical energy into the fight.

Yes, the point of this suggestion is to remove the necessity for quite the amount that an effective combat mage needs: although they only need one potion, ideally they would be using three types of spell to make the most of the combat spells available to them: yes, I have encountered mages who do this in the wild with a teleblock, a bind, and then actual elemental spells. This would make it more balanced, like the rest of the combat triangle.

In the current system, let's say I'm attemtping to fight using the modern spellbook. The first thing I do is cast teleblock, requiring 3 spaces in my inventory taken up with Chaos, Law, and Death runes. That's two more than anyone using the other sides of the combat triangle already. The second thing is to cast 'entangle', costing me 3 more inventory spaces with Water, Earth, and Nature runes. Finally, I cast water surge, my best combat spell, which costs me another 2 inventory spaces with Air, Water, Blood, and Death runes (note that I'm saving space by using a water rather than a fire surge spell).

Now, that makes 8 inventory spaces. I'm not worried about every-day teleporting or enchanting, which is done with banks to hand and only requires a maximum of 5 places, I'm talking about pvp, where every single space matters because you have to factor in food. Currently, the combat triangle ensures that a mage is vastly unbalanced in this regard, and here's what I'm trying to solve.

I just don't understand why the amount of spells stored in the quiver should be limited to types/amounts. Rangers can store a trillion arrows if they want. Also, I think the point about the "extra strong arrows" and the "surprise weapon" are invalid because these are completely optional, however magers are required to carry the runes, so there isn't really "extra strong runes" that could be held in the inventory.

Edited by cash money95

I just don't understand why the amount of spells stored in the quiver should be limited to types/amounts. Rangers can store a trillion arrows if they want. Also, I think the point about the "extra strong arrows" and the "surprise weapon" are invalid because these are completely optional, however magers are required to carry the runes, so there isn't really "extra strong runes" that could be held in the inventory.

Because having more than one spell is optional. Either that, or I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Because having more than one spell is optional. Either that, or I don't understand what you're trying to say.

I just think you should be able to store as many runes as you want. Switching spells takes the same amount of time as switching arrows or weapon, so it wouldn't be too overpowering in my eyes.

I just think you should be able to store as many runes as you want. Switching spells takes the same amount of time as switching arrows or weapon, so it wouldn't be too overpowering in my eyes.

You can store as many runes as you want. They just have to be in the right combination to make a spell. And you can store infinite runes for 3 spells.

I just don't see the need for being able to store every rune of all time. You need to draw the line somewhere between useful and just unecessary, as in I never have any need for storing all the runes I can get.

You can store as many runes as you want. They just have to be in the right combination to make a spell. And you can store infinite runes for 3 spells.

I just don't see the need for being able to store every rune of all time. You need to draw the line somewhere between useful and just unecessary, as in I never have any need for storing all the runes I can get.

Well I sure as hell wouldn't put a load of every type of rune in there, I'm just saying the possibility should be allowed.

I'm not too sure about this. In terms of making the game more 'realistic,' I suppose being able to carry all types of runes without the hassle of taking up half your inventory makes sense. However, in terms of balancing it with a skill like ranged, I'm not too sure. Magic is a much broader skill that ranged. With ranged, you have basically one use for your items: firing them at your opponents. With magic, you can superheat ore, teleport, alch, heal poison, make planks, and perform tons of other tasks that aren't exclusive to combat. If you could carry the necessary yet less-used runes required for these tasks, it would make things a bit too convenient, in my opinion.

Making the quivers combat only? So you cant cast non combat spells with one.

How about taking a leaf out of stealing creations book and making calatylictic runes, but they could only be used for combat spells. And to make would require one of each non-elemental rune. To team up with that you could carry steam/lava runes and bingo greatly increased free space in your inventory.

I do like the idea though, but i'd be worried about making magic even more powerful than it is.

Making the quivers combat only? So you cant cast non combat spells with one.

How about taking a leaf out of stealing creations book and making calatylictic runes, but they could only be used for combat spells. And to make would require one of each non-elemental rune. To team up with that you could carry steam/lava runes and bingo greatly increased free space in your inventory.

I do like the idea though, but i'd be worried about making magic even more powerful than it is.

I like the idea of combat-only. I think magic needs something else because it is greatly overpowered by melee and range in terms of attack power.

Really guys? Really? Why don't you read the first post and see that, right from the beginning, I had one bolded part.

Have the quiver slot hold one elemental spell, one bind spell, and one curse spell, up to infinite stacks, or have something that can be equipped in the quiver slot that can hold these three.

The post was never edited, this isn't a new thing. These three are combat spells. It's just for combat. It's infinite. It's all you need. For. Combat.

Ugh.

Really guys? Really? Why don't you read the first post and see that, right from the beginning, I had one bolded part.

The post was never edited, this isn't a new thing. These three are combat spells. It's just for combat. It's infinite. It's all you need. For. Combat.

Ugh.

I read it--I just wasn't sure what you meant by it. :(