Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Darkblister4

Laptop Battery (resolved, Please Close)

I just got a new laptop today and my brother told me to try and somehow find out how to extend the battery life. My friend told me to take out the battery when I'm at home and play while plugged in. First of all, would that work or help at all? If it does, would I need to cover the battery or something so dust doesn't get on it or something? :(

If taking the battery out isn't a good idea then just forget the second question. Thanks!

Edited by Darkblister4

No, it might not even work depending on that laptop.

Yes it will over a while. Batteries degrade over time, even more so if they're left at 100% charge. If you are at home and using your computer while plugged in, you don't need to take it out immediately, but you don't want to have it plugged in for long periods of time. You'll want to cycle it a few times a week, that is you drain it down to around 25% or so. Also when storing your battery, keep it between 50-75% for the best life possible.

I had a laptop that I kept plugged in for a few months and the battery decreased about 25% from its maximum. I went from getting 4 hours to 3 hours.

This is just how lithium ion batteries are in general. It applies to all li-ion devices.

Okay that helps clarify a lot. But my last question, would it matter if I cover the battery or not so dust doesn't get on it? Like cover as in, put it in a bag or something.

Shouldn't make much of a difference. Just make sure the copper contacts (bronze metal bits) are clear and it'll work fine.