Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Entrility

Sal's Realm Radio

Parntership  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a partnership with RuneRadio?

• Yes
    • No

I'll make horrible grinding noises sing for Sal's Realm Radio, and I won't charge any royalties!

But actually, something that you might be able to do until you can get music bolted down is to have people if they want to talk about something Runescape or Sal's related get a timeslot on the feed and post a schedule here. I think more people might tune into that rather than music that they could probably just pick up off of their computers.

Just my two cents.

~Dimos

Well, I've got a master plan around. I'll get to that once I can get this up and running. I have a few more clever ideas up my sleeve to deal with the royalty issue - I do think that the 500$/year thing is pretty fair, but if that can't be secured, I do have other measures to resort to.

The talking, well, honestly I don't think listening to teenagers blathering on all the time is going to be entertaining. I was looking at it more as a radio station, based around Sal's, that will often give away prizes, update/advertise Sal's Realm events, have the occasional guest (I do have a few in mind... a Jagex mod, to name one), maybe host an event or two, maybe talk about Runescape every so often when something comes up, and be interesting. But above all, it's a radio meant to be out there for people to listen to while grinding through Rs, and for the DJs to have fun. I enjoy it a lot, to be honest ^.^

There was also a plan to have a podcast running with it - a "Salcast", if you will. Not as convoluted as it has been in the past, however :(

As much as I like choice A, I think it's impractible. I don't think donations will come in, and it will be money out of your wallet. Choice B is the path to take, since this won't become immensely popular (like a real radio station would be) I highly doubt the performance and quality will be too horrible for listening.

Can I be completely honest? This is a huge waste of time.

As much as I like choice A, I think it's impractible. I don't think donations will come in, and it will be money out of your wallet. Choice B is the path to take, since this won't become immensely popular (like a real radio station would be) I highly doubt the performance and quality will be too horrible for listening.

Yeah, I agree. Choice A just isn't cost effective. You'd have to rely solely on donations, which is rather risky.

If the quality isn't bad, I'll tune in.

I really doubt you'll be getting many donations if at all. If you go with Option A be ready to spend from your wallet...

If you can run Option B with at least decent streaming quality, I'd go with that.

Good luck--hope you get everything sorted out with royalties and such.

An update to you all:

US licenses are not going to cut it for us - they involve too many filing fees, paperwork, interaction with the copyright office, and on top of that, the 500$ fee, which only makes it legal to broadcast in the US.

Apparently, having a UK license covers you for international use, and is cheaper. Looking into this more, brb

Ironically, I'm looking into using a Somalian server to make this a "legal" pirate radio. There are a few key reasons for that which would make it work reasonably well.

Aside from that, for actual legality, a british license covers just about everything, but it's a lot more restricting. I'll see what can be done. If worst comes to worst, I'll just go to each artist individually and get a deal with royalties - that saves me the issue of going to the government and using their rules.

Helm Ladar: Yeah, it would be runescape related in that there is RS trivia (for RS prizes), some interviews (hopefully) with real big name people (for example, Jagex Mods (as was done on Salcast), perhaps Sal himself if possible, etc...) as well as possibly some radio-hosted events. That's the goal. For now, I'm figuring out royalties.

Edited by Entrility

I haven't gone through the thread and never listened to Sal's radio, but if understand correctly, you need money for bandwidth? In that case you can try Peer to Peer connection. I'm sure there is already some source code available around the net, and it's just a matter of implementing an interface on it, with a few tweaks.

If you're talking about air waves, that's protected by governments (and their militaries), so not a good idea.

I haven't gone through the thread and never listened to Sal's radio, but if understand correctly, you need money for bandwidth? In that case you can try Peer to Peer connection. I'm sure there is already some source code available around the net, and it's just a matter of implementing an interface on it, with a few tweaks.

If you're talking about air waves, that's protected by governments (and their militaries), so not a good idea.

No, he's saying he needs money to pay for a license so that he can legally play music.

Oh. Heh. Nope, that'll never happen. Sorry to disappoint. =/

Your best bet would be to illegally play it, as been discussed earlier in the thread.

With the music industry the way it is right now, there's no way anyone can possibly pay to have a non-commercial radio... or even a commercial radio that doesn't do at least well above average.

I'm considering going to individual copyright owners and trying to make deals with them - there are a whole lot of them, so it would take a long time, but that would essentially prove much more effective than trying to get a blanket license.

Somalia keeps looking better and better.

Somalia keeps looking better and better.

Then why not just go for it? :P

In all seriousness though, good luck on the long and arduous road ahead :D !

I know I certainly wouldn't put such effort in to starting up a radio :( .

Right now I'm actually going to try and contact the copyright owners.

What makes this tricky is the fact that each song has two copyrighted parts to it. There's the song itself, owned by whoever wrote/preformed it, then there's the sound recording, owned usually by the record label. In order to play a song on the radio legally, I have to get permission from *both* parties.

That's why this is taking so long, and that's why this is likely not going to happen for a while, and that's why Somalia seems like a great idea.