Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Luftey

East Coast Earthquake

A 5.9 magnitude earth quake hit the East Coast today (just google it, stuff about it everywhere :(), the epicenter was ~60 miles from me. It was rather shocking seeing we never have earthquakes here in Virginia. Anyway, I know many of you Sals Realm'rs live on the East Coast, so figured it'd be cool if we shared our experiences/funny stories about it.

I had just gotten out of class, and was on the 3rd floor of one of the buildings on campus chilling with 2 pals next to the entrance to a stair well. A professor had just gone by and pushed on a door to open it when it hit. Literally he pushed on the door just as it hit. His facial expression was "holy **** did I just cause that?" it was priceless. Anyway, after the tremor stopped, we were all like wtf that was weird then back to what we were talking about. No one really knew what happened, so it was like 10-15 minutes before we evacuated :L

Outside, my friend and I were getting bored and i saw a cute girl standing alone nearby and went up to say hi. Pretty cool, turned out she was a geology major, chances of having an earthquake then the first random person you talk to is a geologist is pretty crazy ;p

Anyway, what were you folks doing?

Edit: one of many articles about it: Earthquake

Edited by Luftey

It was actually 5.8. I was home when it happened and it felt like someone was jumping (and some sliding doors squeaked). T'was nothing up here in Albany but still, odd that it happened.

I'm in New Jersey, 10 miles away from New York City. I was sleeping. I've spent some time in California and 5.9 is something that we can sleep through. I know I did. Everyone's freaking out. I can understand it because most of my friends probably have never been in an earthquake before.

I thought it was a bulldozer for a second but my parents and sister are from San Fransisco and lived there in 1989 so I quickly knew what it was just from their stories. Still my first time in an earthquake and everyone is talking about it. Sad that in California nobody skips a beat in a 5.9 and in the East coast entire schools are evacuated.

Edited by Sobend

I thought it was a bulldozer for a second but my parents and sister are from San Fransisco and lived there in 1989 so I quickly knew what it was just from their stories. Still my first time in an earthquake and everyone is talking about it. Sad that in California nobody skips a beat in a 5.9 and in the East coast entire schools are evacuated.

It's all relative to what people are used to.

In Michigan if it snows 6 inches chances are kids still get to trek their asses to school.

In Texas 2 inches is a school closure.

It's all relative to what people are used to.

In Michigan if it snows 6 inches chances are kids still get to trek their asses to school.

In Texas 2 inches is a school closure.

75 degrees in Britain, people cry and log into Sal's Runescape Forum and started complaining, 75 Degrees in North America and people turn the thermostat up a notch.

Yeah I know, never really been on the wimp side though. It hurts :wizard:.

Sorry for picking on you brits again

In Georgia half an inch of snow got the schools closed two years ago. It was hilarious. Parents were outraged.

Meh, earthquakes. Whatever. I've been in three.

Slept through a couple earthquakes in my time. Hurricanes are more impressive.

In Georgia half an inch of snow got the schools closed two years ago. It was hilarious. Parents were outraged.

Uncle was telling me a story about when he was down in Florida. It snowed like .5 - 1 inch and people were chaining up their tires.

It was actually 5.8. I was home when it happened and it felt like someone was jumping (and some sliding doors squeaked). T'was nothing up here in Albany but still, odd that it happened.

They first said it was a 5.8, then they changed it to a 5.9, either way it's close haha

^Sooo true. Yes, it was startling, but I don't get why we had to leave. Heck, I'm not mad over it, got out of an engineering class because of it which meant I got home like 5hrs early ;p

But, my only idea is that perhaps buildings out here don't have certain req. to make the "earthquake proof" like they do in Cali? Either way, the earthquake happened ~2 and they didn't shut down till like 4:30 (some buildings were closed down during that time, others weren't on campus), if nothing else had happened by then, I don't get why they then shut down 2.5hrs later. Traffic was hideous though lol. I-66 is usually bad, but heck it really got jammed up.

Oh well, hey, made an exciting say and I can now say I've been in an earthquake ;p Though, considering people have died in them, not really sure if it's appropriate to joke about, or is it?.

As for snow, DC area is like, dusting=clogging of roads/no school =[ Though in college, they just assign us stuff on-line =[ It stinks

Edited by Luftey

Indiana here and I didn't feel a damn thing

Complete devastation on the East Coast following the earthquake!

jMySO.jpg

Just kidding. I'm glad that there were no major deaths or injuries :(

Uncle was telling me a story about when he was down in Florida. It snowed like .5 - 1 inch and people were chaining up their tires.

And they do well in chaining their tires, because they probably don't own winter tires. :(

Anyway, Sobend and Emo Nemo hit the nail on the head on this. Heck, I'd probably be scared by a 4.0.

Got nothin' on Japanese earthquakes.
Earthquake below 7.0?

TOO MAINSTREAM

Edited by Arianna

I was getting laid at the time I think. I didn't feel it, but then again you can imagine why.

^ Now rumors will be spread about how good you were

I left unsatisfied.

I was getting laid at the time I think. I didn't feel it, but then again you can imagine why.

No need to make stuff up. I didn't feel the earthquake either.

I heard it was felt in New York.

I've never felt an earthquake. I was on a flight to San Francisco when it happened. :(

You guys must be so traumatised, I can only imagine what you must have gone through. :(

Reports here said that some people thought it was a terrorist attack. I was like, wat.

You guys must be so traumatised, I can only imagine what you must have gone through. :(

Reports here said that some people thought it was a terrorist attack. I was like, wat.

Rule #1: Everything that happens to you in America can be blamed on a terrorist attack.

Computer breaks? Terrorist EMP attack. Water is leaking? Terrorists are trying to flood your house. Car doesn't start? Terrorists must have put a bomb in it.