Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
arham 4

Large Dungeons

Question

I have been practicing larges a lot lately as keyer, but I still get lost in the dungeon, even as keyer.

So, as keyer, what am I suppose to do? When do I mgt? How can I improve myself as keyer. Usually the team is ahead of me and I'm left behind. What can I do to be one step ahead of team?

10 answers to this question

Use the developers console to note all key doors. And if someone gated something, not that aswell, example

osh - robert goco/pco - james

Also opening the floor map helps you see where certain things are, open it often and try to remember where things are and where your team mates have gated.

Make sure that the ggs is at a guardian door or somewhere the team is doing something while you're running paths and opening doors.

Move gt at dead ends but try not to be with your team the whole time, when there is a room with 3 paths run one yourself and make sure the team is doing the other path. People following you around is a complete waste of time as you don't need help opening skill doors.

Use the developers console to note all key doors. And if someone gated something, not that aswell, example

Also opening the floor map helps you see where certain things are, open it often and try to remember where things are and where your team mates have gated.

Make sure that the ggs is at a guardian door or somewhere the team is doing something while you're running paths and opening doors.

Move gt at dead ends but try not to be with your team the whole time, when there is a room with 3 paths run one yourself and make sure the team is doing the other path. People following you around is a complete waste of time as you don't need help opening skill doors.

Thanks for the help. What kind of format should I use when noting all key doors?

Thanks for the help. What kind of format should I use when noting all key doors?

I just note in order I find them and put abbreveations. If someone gated something I'd also add their name to the end

Like;

pcr/yw/ycr grr-john

I just note in order I find them and put abbreveations. If someone gated something I'd also add their name to the end

Like;

pcr/yw/ycr grr-john

Do you add where it is?

Like;

pcr/yw/ycr grr-john

Do you add where it is?

Usually I can remember the locations because I open the map and check frequently but if you need to you can add the location in as se/ne/nw etc.

Its kind of hard to explain but you need to make a mental map. Make sure that your compass is always pointed north so that you know where you're oriented. Every time that a few new doors are opened, hit the map, even if you are in combat. You'll only be able to see the map for a split second but if you're oriented correctly that will be enough. By seeing the map, even though you can't really analyze it, the image is automatically stored thanks to your short term iconic memory. That image won't be stuck in you're memory forever and you have to constantly update it by hitting the world map. Now that you know where doors are you just have to remember them. Make it a habit to always remember any base doors in a dungeon. For other doors, you'll want to add them to that mental map that you have. When you see a door, even if you don't have the key, take note of where it is in the dungeon. Sorry this is very difficult to explain and I'm sure it sounds like its a lot to remember but keep in mind that every human being can store seven plus or minus two elements in their short term memory. No matter how bad you think your memory is, you just need to make a habit of associating locations, doors and names. For example, northwest+yellow wedge+magekid0191 would take up only one of your short term memory slots. Since occasionally there will be more than 5 doors on map, you can count on your teammates to tell you when you have a key of theirs and by doing so, you can ignore gated doors altogether. If none of this seems to work for you, simply draw a square on a piece of paper. Put an X where the base is and note where doors are in respect to that X. It doesn't have to be perfect just make sure they are accurate in respect to each other. For example, if silver wedge is south of a 103 RC door, don't write the wedge above the RC.

Also I think it was you that made that video of yourself in a dungeon earlier and asked us to critique it? I remember the visual that you have of the map that constantly changed as you opened new doors. That is exactly what I'm referring to by the mental map just do it in a less time consuming way :(

Best start would be to take a piece of paper, and get marking (or a digital equivalent, if you've a high res wide screen). It's the least demanding and simplest way to do it.

SomeMost people don't have an extraordinary memory, and use one form of marking or another. Not knowing this tends to make others think they're incapable.

Its kind of hard to explain but you need to make a mental map. Make sure that your compass is always pointed north so that you know where you're oriented. Every time that a few new doors are opened, hit the map, even if you are in combat. You'll only be able to see the map for a split second but if you're oriented correctly that will be enough. By seeing the map, even though you can't really analyze it, the image is automatically stored thanks to your short term iconic memory. That image won't be stuck in you're memory forever and you have to constantly update it by hitting the world map. Now that you know where doors are you just have to remember them. Make it a habit to always remember any base doors in a dungeon. For other doors, you'll want to add them to that mental map that you have. When you see a door, even if you don't have the key, take note of where it is in the dungeon. Sorry this is very difficult to explain and I'm sure it sounds like its a lot to remember but keep in mind that every human being can store seven plus or minus two elements in their short term memory. No matter how bad you think your memory is, you just need to make a habit of associating locations, doors and names. For example, northwest+yellow wedge+magekid0191 would take up only one of your short term memory slots. Since occasionally there will be more than 5 doors on map, you can count on your teammates to tell you when you have a key of theirs and by doing so, you can ignore gated doors altogether. If none of this seems to work for you, simply draw a square on a piece of paper. Put an X where the base is and note where doors are in respect to that X. It doesn't have to be perfect just make sure they are accurate in respect to each other. For example, if silver wedge is south of a 103 RC door, don't write the wedge above the RC.

Also I think it was you that made that video of yourself in a dungeon earlier and asked us to critique it? I remember the visual that you have of the map that constantly changed as you opened new doors. That is exactly what I'm referring to by the mental map just do it in a less time consuming way :D

I use an AutoHotKey that takes a screenshot of map and places it on rs dg map. It is click-throughable, so I can always click the real rs dg map. It updates in less than 50milliseconds.

Best start would be to take a piece of paper, and get marking (or a digital equivalent, if you've a high res wide screen). It's the least demanding and simplest way to do it.

SomeMost people don't have an extraordinary memory, and use one form of marking or another. Not knowing this tends to make others think they're incapable.

Thanks, I will start doing this. :(

I have uploaded a video of me keying. Here it is:

EDIT:

Edited by arham 4