Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Shaq92

The Ge Effect

Ever since the introduction of the GE, I have noticed that people were not interacting as much because they did not have to. However, I stopped playing Runescape about 3 or more years ago and logged back in recently to see that ppl aren't really as talking as much besides the annoying ad bots. So, here is my question has the Grand Exchange made ppl less social in Runescape.

I noticed the same to thing. People have no been advertising things or buying or selling things by trade as much as they used to. I think the new G.E has made people less social in my opinion.

Yeah but is being social on RS really important? O_o

It kind of is for me at least because interacting with ppl helped me to go far when I played runescape

Yeah but is being social on RS really important? O_o

It is for me. I need to be in an active social clan for me to train any boring skills that i don't like. So I always join sals clan when i need somebody to "Listen" to, as its pretty social for me... :(

what you say is absolutely correct

I don't know if it is a problem however, on runescape there still is enough contact, the world ain't that big and there are people everywhere

it ain't wow where you hardly ever see any other players in your first weeks...

Players don't talk as much thanks to the Friends/Clan chat.

This.

I have my Public Chat set to 'Off' all the time and just talk in a FC with my friends, it's much better :(

I always have my public chat set to hide, so i dont even see anything in the chat box anyways.

It's the friends and clan chat that have killed social interaction, not the GE. However necessary the clan chat was, it meant that most people who would otherwise be talking to the people around them were instead talking in a channel.

I was thinking this as well actually, if you got rid of the GE it would make selling things the botters get a LOT harder possibly reducing the bots, and make players use up all the skills. I joined back about 6 months ago after playing in '06 before the GE, and although at first found it really helpful and useful, now i think it just makes things too easy. My opinion though.

If you're comparing the G.E. to the way the West Bank in Varrrok used to be set up, then I honestly don't see much of a difference. Sure more people were talking, but they were just spamming what they wanted to buy and sell. I hardly call that socializing.

But yeah I see what you're saying, when I cut Yews I used to be able to talk to the people standing there, and now I am lucky if out of the 50 people on 1 tree another one is even over level 3....

I prefer the GE, now I don't have to world hop to sell stuff or remember where in Varrock i'm supposed to stand to buy/sell which items.

It makes quests quicker, the only thing it took away was money making by merchanting. But at least now I get to spend more time doing the stuff I love than getting it myself.

The GE for me, as a quester is a god send.

I was thinking this as well actually, if you got rid of the GE it would make selling things the botters get a LOT harder possibly reducing the bots, and make players use up all the skills. I joined back about 6 months ago after playing in '06 before the GE, and although at first found it really helpful and useful, now i think it just makes things too easy. My opinion though.

I didnt play much before '08 but I do remember bots still having quite a marginal impact on runescape, it isnt hard for gold farmers to just trade all their stuff to the 'mule' and let him autotype 'selling 100k yew logs 500gp' and then use him as the person who sells the gold to people who brought it off their site.

The GE has too much of an impact to be taken away imo.

I think I talk far less in friends chat and clan chats than I used to - my talking on Runescape is pretty much reduced to a little talking in public but mostly private messages.

When you're on Skype you get lazy with sending text-based messages :(

I prefer the GE, now I don't have to world hop to sell stuff or remember where in Varrock i'm supposed to stand to buy/sell which items.

It makes quests quicker, the only thing it took away was money making by merchanting. But at least now I get to spend more time doing the stuff I love than getting it myself.

The GE for me, as a quester is a god send.

I disagree that it took money away from merchanting. Maybe before the GE you could buy/sell things for more profitable prices, but could you instantly buying anything you want? Could you instantly buy hundreds of thousands of anything you want for the price you want it and then instantly sell it for another price you want? I was not playing before the GE, but I highly doubt it.

And yeah, quests are a piece of cake now. :(

Edited by cash money95

I think the spammers have ruined talking. Everywhere you go, there are at least 5 people spamming you to buy RS Gold. Yes you can ignore them but it's just MUCH easier to set public to hide/off. Or friends. Most of the time I have it on friends :(

...has the Grand Exchange made ppl less social...

I'm new to RS and have never known it without the GE. I prefer to do my trading on the GE rather than with other people.

For one, I'm fed up with abject rudeness of everyone. Of being called a "noob" or a "tard" by everyone I talk to because I don't know some social convention or other, or because I ask someone a question that's public knowledge to everyone else, like "What's a pjer?" or "What's a safer?" (I know what these things mean now, but I didn't for the longest time.)

For another, you can't go anywhere without someone trying to scam you with "Legit dicing!" or "Legit money doubling!" It seems the only reason people would have to trade with each other is to try to scam. I'm afraid to trust anyone else to trade with them.

And don't get me started on the gazillions of bots everywhere continuously shouting out and spamming their gold sites, drowning out regular conversation, makes public conversation in town squares and the GE all but impossible, anyway.

So I mainly treat RS like a single-player game in which other people also happen to be present.

...has the Grand Exchange made ppl less social...

I'm new to RS and have never known it without the GE. I prefer to do my trading on the GE rather than with other people.

For one, I'm fed up with abject rudeness of everyone. Of being called a "noob" or a "tard" by everyone I talk to because I don't know some social convention or other, or because I ask someone a question that's public knowledge to everyone else, like "What's a pjer?" or "What's a safer?" (I know what these things mean now, but I didn't for the longest time.)

For another, you can't go anywhere without someone trying to scam you with "Legit dicing!" or "Legit money doubling!" It seems the only reason people would have to trade with each other is to try to scam. I'm afraid to trust anyone else to trade with them.

And don't get me started on the gazillions of bots everywhere continuously shouting out and spamming their gold sites, drowning out regular conversation, makes public conversation in town squares and the GE all but impossible, anyway.

So I mainly treat RS like a single-player game in which other people also happen to be present.

Dont worry about ppl calling u a noob bcuz every new player goes through that. But, I never knew RS as a single player game cuz the only reason I started playing it was so that I could play with my friend. I guess things have changed more than I thought.

When I started playing runescape in '09 I never even knew about the G.E until months later when i was level 40 something. When my friend started talking about how its much easier to buy and sell things there i was confused cause i had no idea what it was. I followed him there, took the tutorial and I use that place now at least once everyday I am on. Back when i was first there it was nothing but spammers spamming what they are buying and selling. Since Friends chat and clan chat has been out, G.E has been less social.

Of course it made people less social. Less negotiating of prices and less PMing people from the forums inquiring about a sale/purchase and of course. However, I think it's a load more convenient.

Gotta agree with Blazer there.

Previously, for either bulk resource supply or individual rare items, you'd have to scavenge the RSOF, fan site forums and World 1. There wasn't any efficiency or gain in the process. At most you'd get a feeling of accomplishment for completing your shopping list, which gets less rewarding as time goes.