Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MRC

College Fraternities

I go to a small, private college in northeastern Ohio. The campus is very alive and active with a lot to do. I am interested in joining a fraternity and getting involved with Greek life. I like what they do in the sense of promoting brotherhood and community service. I like doing things for people and being good. The frat. I like the most is Sigma Phi Epsilon. This is only my first week as a freshman, and I know each college is different, but I was just wondering - often, how true are the stereotypes? If I join one, will I really make strong brotherly connections or am I just getting into a world of sleeping with lots of women and drinking a lot? First off, I'm gay (I barely appear as the stereotype), and totally against alcohol. I see nothing wrong with a little party here and there, but for me, I can totally wait until I'm 21. Anyway, every frat guy seems big, tall, and in shape, and I don't blend in that much. I know I'm smart and I would have the grades and I am involved with a lot of stuff on campus, but I just don't know what I am getting myself into. There was a greek fair and I did visit the fraternities, and the Sig Eps seemed really cool and I got along really well with one of the guys I talked to. I just don't want to get myself into something I'm going to regret or something that might change me into something I don't want to become.

will I really make strong brotherly connections

You'll make strong brotherly connections by partying and getting laid in 90% of frats. Unless you find one that's specifically straight-edge/community oriented, which can be few and far between. I don't think you have a real good idea what Greek life is about, but the only way you'll know is if you start going to their parties and stuff. But since you don't like to drink and such, I doubt many will be interested in you joining their fraternity. (Unless they have an academics/community service/gay centered one on your campus.)

It sounds like you need to get in touch with your school's activity board. For you to join a fraternity, you'd probably have to pretend to be someone you're not, and that's never fun or fulfilling. 'Course maybe frats are different where you're from, but I doubt it. :(

Everything you said is pretty much what I've always heard, except from people on campus. :D The Greek people are always super involved and everywhere and active. They just don't *seem* like the kind in the movies and other stories. I know it's pretty useless to post on a forum who doesn't go to my college but I still wanted to ask.

I got Greek Life on mine. This branch doesn't seem to be that community involved, but what do I know? Only seen them for a week.

By and large, a fraternity is like a cult... Except without the animal sacrifices, or secret sex parties *illuminatii I am looking at you**. So if you want a sexless cult, go for it.

~John

Unless it's a purely Christian or service fraternity, they only have three goals: Get white boy wasted, throw huge parties, and have sex with lots of sorostitutes.

Anything else they say or do is just to appease the administration. Trust me.

I go to a small, private college in northeastern Ohio. The campus is very alive and active with a lot to do. I am interested in joining a fraternity and getting involved with Greek life. I like what they do in the sense of promoting brotherhood and community service. I like doing things for people and being good. The frat. I like the most is Sigma Phi Epsilon. This is only my first week as a freshman, and I know each college is different, but I was just wondering - often, how true are the stereotypes? If I join one, will I really make strong brotherly connections or am I just getting into a world of sleeping with lots of women and drinking a lot? First off, I'm gay (I barely appear as the stereotype), and totally against alcohol. I see nothing wrong with a little party here and there, but for me, I can totally wait until I'm 21. Anyway, every frat guy seems big, tall, and in shape, and I don't blend in that much. I know I'm smart and I would have the grades and I am involved with a lot of stuff on campus, but I just don't know what I am getting myself into. There was a greek fair and I did visit the fraternities, and the Sig Eps seemed really cool and I got along really well with one of the guys I talked to. I just don't want to get myself into something I'm going to regret or something that might change me into something I don't want to become.

What college? Im from cleveland

It seems like there are a good amount of ppl on this forum from ohio

and I would personally never join a fraternity, but that is just me. I dont like most of their stances on things and such

I've been to Sig Ep a couple of times here, the guys are alright. As for the stereotypes, they are there for a reason. The things you hear probably do happen, at least they hold true for my school generally. But each school is different.

There are gay fraternities.

95% of frats are all about partying and hooking up with women.

What college?? I went to Kent State for a year before I transferred out to a PA university.

And.

Greek Life = Parties/getting laid/getting drunk out of your mind. But it's the easiest way to make friends. Brotherhood/life values/being a good person? Not so much, gonna be honest with you.

I got Greek Life on mine. This branch doesn't seem to be that community involved, but what do I know? Only seen them for a week.

By and large, a fraternity is like a cult... Except without the animal sacrifices, or secret sex parties *illuminatii I am looking at you**. So if you want a sexless cult, go for it.

~John

> a fraternity Except without sex parties

> fraternity without sex parties

> fraternity without sex

> college... no sex

I seriously hope you're not serious

Edited by Vlad

From the way you described it and how you described yourself, I'd say definitely not. Continue focusing on your good grades and not drinking underage (even though it's not that big of a deal if you do :D). If you join such a fraternity, you might regret it later on in life. I don't want to make too many assumptions, though :(.

Unless it's a purely Christian or service fraternity, they only have three goals: Get white boy wasted, throw huge parties, and have sex with lots of sorostitutes.

Anything else they say or do is just to appease the administration. Trust me.

^^^This

But if this is appealing for you, well, enjoy?

Oh, and there's also hazing but they're getting better and better at hiding it :(

Try asking one of the guys what sort of fraternity each of them actually are.

Edited by Prashanna

~John

> a fraternity Except without sex parties

> fraternity without sex parties

> fraternity without sex

> college... no sex

I seriously hope you're not serious

No no, really, I am serious. The illuminatii exist (two ii's), pigs have wings, and in our latest medical breakthrough we have only sixty days to live before the zombies attack.

To be clear;

Cult; Yes.

Sex; Yes.

Fraternity; Legal sex cult? Yes.

~John

Edited by John Adams

I just don't know what I am getting myself into

Basically, you're going to be in an atmosphere filled with people getting hammered, blazing, being hammered and doing stupid stuff, having sex. If your Frats work like the way they do here, you don't actually need to be a part of one to get into one of their parties. You need to be a female, or bring a female along with you and that's instant admission.

Yea, i wouldnt reccomend it if its anything like it is here, buddy of mine joined one, got hazed and humliated for a long time, then rest of his college life was getting stoned, drunk, having lots of sex, and partying alot. He still graduated and got good grades though. I mean personally i would like it, but for you it might not be your type of scene per say.

First off, I'm gay

Am I the only one who didn't miss this? I'm no expert but I do believe that frat parties are generally heterosexual.

Edited by theking1322

First off, I'm gay

Am I the only one who didn't miss this? I'm no expert but I do believe that frat parties are generally heterosexual.

There are homosexual friendly fraternities. They still have hetero parties, yes, but they're gay friendly.

First off, I'm gay

There are homosexual friendly fraternities. They still have hetero parties, yes, but they're gay friendly.

I don't doubt that, it's just that all the sex at frat parties is generally of the heterosexual nature. And the sex is what everyone else was talking about.