Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brookes

Jagex Seizes Gold4rs

I mean where does JAGEX say that they don't want you to grind. Please source.

And

If they truly want me to enjoy the game, they will leave and take their bots with them.

Makes no sense. If Jagex leaves, the game will turn into even more chaos.

It makes no sense because that isn't what they said :(

Well that's pretty sweet. I was amused by the idea that being able to buy gold is a human right. All they're doing is trying to persuade you to break the terms of agreement Jagex set when you create your account. They have no legal justification, and at the end of the day if Jagex can break them it will show quite something to the rest of the gold sellers out there.

ahahahahahaa im almost tempted to send a letter to the President of the U.S. to see if could ask congress to add "buying gold for runescape" to our bill of rights.

But anyways, i hope Jagex can shut them down, i know plenty of people that have used them and its sad how cheap and easy it is. But i think Jagex will win (sorta im still trying to convince myself) because they are breaking the rules of the game.... but im still not confindent

Only problem is they're breaking rules of THE GAME, not the US law. The only thing Jagex is officially sueing for is TRADEMARK.

Personally, that's a big break through, but, it does very little to hinder bots besides the ones that work for gold4rs, so, it really just depends.

Is botting a violation of the trademark? If not, will it even be possible to bring them down?

I mean where does JAGEX say that they don't want you to grind. Please source.

And

If they truly want me to enjoy the game, they will leave and take their bots with them.

Makes no sense. If Jagex leaves, the game will turn into even more chaos.

I never once stated that Jagex says they want the game to be less grinding. My entire first post has to deal with the RWT company only; they stated they wanted the game to be less grindy. I figure it would be less of a grind if I didn't have to compete against bots. Specifically, the bots of this RWT company and many like it.

Again, I never said Jagex should leave. I meant that the RWT company should leave. The RWT company wants the game to be more enjoyable to players, and it would be if they left. No more bots advertising their RWT site, and no more bots mining, woodcutting, fishing, etc in order to earn the gold they sell.

In fact, I fully support Jagex in taking down RWT companies and sites.

Whatever, Jagex is losing against bots and gold farmers. They aren't going to win.

In my opinion, they should just do what Blizzard is doing with Diablo 3. Make it so people can sell the RSGP for real life cash ingame, and just add a tax or something so they actually make money from other people selling RSGP to each other.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Diablo 3 going to be more single-player oriented rather than an MMO? This would encourage gold farming, and by extension botting. Something an MMO is more affected by than a single-player game.

If Jagex sold the gold themselves it would be better. I'm willing to bet that more people would be willing to pay Jagex for the gold than a RWT company. It would be viewed as more secure, especially to those with membership and have already given Jagex their credit info. Plus Jagex wouldn't have to have gold farmers and bots earning the gold.

Edited by Rouge_menace

Over last few months we have been dealing with our legal advisor in US in regards to the dispute filed by Jagex at WIPO, with the intention to hijack [Rwt site removed] domain, their only contention is that the term "[Rwt site removed]" is "Identical or confusingly similar" to their registered trade mark RUNESCAPE, so they want [Rwt site removed] to be transferred to their possession. As we all know, they cannot monopolize the use of generic terms and common words in domain names. Further, generic words or common terms cannot give rise to trade mark rights. However, somehow the Panel stands on their side has fulfilled their attempts to hijack [Rwt site removed] domain.

If they think they can get away with calling Runescape generic, since it is made up of two words joined together into a coined term then their lawyer is a raving idiot.

I have seen enough of WIPO court cases to know that they haven't got a leg to stand on and Jagex is going to wipe the floor with them, hopefully they will also file a UDRP.

Honestly, I see this kind of crap from every section of the "business" community that I do not see why they do not simply make an example of them, and sue for every breach to their contract upto the maximum $100,000 (which in the case of these self proclaimed top companies could result in BILLIONS of dollars worth of damages)

I wonder if they have John Berryhill representing them? :(

Whatever, Jagex is losing against bots and gold farmers. They aren't going to win.

In my opinion, they should just do what Blizzard is doing with Diablo 3. Make it so people can sell the RSGP for real life cash ingame, and just add a tax or something so they actually make money from other people selling RSGP to each other.

Blizzard are idiots too, they are basically stating with this that they do not care about the players and only about profit.

I hate playing Diablo 2 when it was once one of my favourite games since Blizzard plainly do not give a damn about players, and give bots free rein.

With their resources they should've taken out the major trading forum years ago, and yet it still is accessible.

Edited by Chef Ramsay

They won't be able to shut anything down. They've been trying (apparently) and failing for years.

I'm not sure of the site that was linked, but I doubt it was one of the bigger and more popular RS cheating sites. Which has been around forever. Obviously not giving a name or links though.

This was, in fact, one of the larger sites due to their sponsorship of a widely used botting program.

@Chef: You can't really combat bots and RWT unless you hurt the actual players. The only thing you can do is try to turn the whole thing around. So I can't say I agree with you.

This is the so-called legal action Jagex is taking against RWT? Shutting down domain names because of being similar to Runescape's domain?? The RWT site might be hindered for, oh, maybe two days until they get a new domain name.

Problem?

This is the so-called legal action Jagex is taking against RWT? Shutting down domain names because of being similar to Runescape's domain?? The RWT site might be hindered for, oh, maybe two days until they get a new domain name.

Problem?

Yeah, the article clearly states this is the full extent of action Jagex are taking towards solving these issues.

Problem?

Problem?

Yeah, the article clearly states this is the full extent of action Jagex are taking towards solving these issues.

Problem?

You can't really do much more. As I stated previously, you either hurt your fanbase (remove the wilderness and free trade) or try to do something different like legalize it.

Oh, I was misunderstanding you.

Still, the not companies are out to make profit, not make the game more enjoyable. They're just putting this shizzle out there so they get more support.

Why would they do this? Because in the aim to feed their greedy appetite for revenue they want players to spend as much of their life time grinding in game, according to Jagex's contention, the company's "turnover over the period 2002 - 2010 was approximately 171 million pounds", and they are still looking for more by forcing us to spend hours over hours of our life time at our computers repeating their pre-made gaming procedures over and over again boringly, disregarding players’ gaming experience and their human rights of playing the game more flexibly and enjoyably, from the Report Card Contest and Father’s Day event we hosted this May and June, thousands of players and their parents joined in the events and over 90% of them have shown great substantial concerns about the game occupying too much of their child’s daily time, as a result they are always “glued to the computer”, which is definitely negative influence to their school performance, social activities, and even their future career!

I'm sorry but whoever wrote that is a fudgeing idiot.

Jagex want their game to be equal to all, they want to remove bots so legit players can actually skill again. If you don't like the Runescape rules, no one is forcing you to "grind" on it. Just don't bother playing the game at all, and definitely don't ruin the experience for others.

Dumbasses.

Why would they do this? Because in the aim to feed their greedy appetite for revenue they want players to spend as much of their life time grinding in game, according to Jagex's contention, the company's "turnover over the period 2002 - 2010 was approximately 171 million pounds", and they are still looking for more by forcing us to spend hours over hours of our life time at our computers repeating their pre-made gaming procedures over and over again boringly, disregarding players’ gaming experience and their human rights of playing the game more flexibly and enjoyably, from the Report Card Contest and Father’s Day event we hosted this May and June, thousands of players and their parents joined in the events and over 90% of them have shown great substantial concerns about the game occupying too much of their child’s daily time, as a result they are always “glued to the computer”, which is definitely negative influence to their school performance, social activities, and even their future career!

Jagex want their game to be equal to all, they want to remove bots so legit players can actually skill again. If you don't like the Runescape rules, no one is forcing you to "grind" on it. Just don't bother playing the game at all, and definitely don't ruin the experience for others.

Dumbasses.

I'm sorry, but have you been living under a rock? In case you haven't noticed, Jagex really doesn't give a damn about bots.

I've given the issue some thought, and when you actually think about why people buy gold, it makes sense... I mean hey, I can spend 12 bucks, which is like nothing for irl monies, and get 20m rsgp. 20m in rs is like 10 hrs worth of work for a lot of people. If I'm a noob who just wants to buy some cool armour and go kill some stuff, maybe get myself a nice dfs, geez why wouldn't I just buy the gold??

The legitimate long-time players are seriously the only ones who value achievements in the game these days. I can't even imagine if I started playing now and seeing all the thousands of bots running around? I'd probably just buy gold like everyone else does. Not encouraging that activity it's just how the game is these days. Then also, there's some people who want a santa hat really bad... Why would they spend the 60-80 hours getting the cash for it when they can just pay like, what? 80 dollars and get it right then and there, within 10 minutes as the advertisers say... When jagex finally decides to literally cash out on this game, that would be the way to go, sell rsgp and make a good amount of money for like 1 day then bye bye runescape.

It's good to see one site down, but there will always be 5 more to replace it, and even if they take down every site, people will still do it, unless they reinstate trade limits.

Dumbasses.

I'm sorry, but have you been living under a rock? In case you haven't noticed, Jagex really doesn't give a damn about bots.

In case you haven't noticed, Jagex have been taking action against bots. Sure they aren't trying very hard, but at least they are taking steps to stop botting/RWT by banning bots and shutting down sites as seen in OP.

Jagex will never get on top of bots unless they reinstate free trade limits, so give them some credit for banning as many bots as they can.

Dumbasses.

In case you haven't noticed, Jagex have been taking action against bots. Sure they aren't trying very hard, but at least they are taking steps to stop botting/RWT by banning bots and shutting down sites as seen in OP.

Jagex will never get on top of bots unless they reinstate free trade limits, so give them some credit for banning as many bots as they can.

You mean to say that Jagex has been doing the bare minimum required to make players think they are trying to stop bots, while in fact they most likely don't care at all.

Dumbasses.

Jagex has done the very minimum of what is required, in order so that it appears that they're attempting to do something. The result from this is just the site will change to a different domain and will be under a different name.

The amount of bots will not decrease. There are thousands of different sites offering RuneScape services, and tens of thousands of players offering the same. Changes to one site (and let's think about it, the site isn't going away, it's just going to change name) is going to do absolutely jack-all in the scheme of things.

Who cares about gold sellers, go take down some botting sites.

Who cares about gold sellers, go take down some botting sites.

Gold sellers contribute to botting.

In all honesty, if you look at the actual business history, it's because the original developers are no longer in complete control of the game. It's been shifted to greedy investors.

You can figure out the rest from there if you want.

Human rights?

On interwebz?

trollface.jpg

Good to see one of the big gold sites go down. Hopefully they can't start back up.

They have a point, kids spend too much time on RS

I have a neutral stance on RWT, but the theory that Jagex deliberately make success lengthy in order to maximize profits is in no way preposterous.

[...] and they are still looking for more by forcing us to spend hours over hours of our life time at our computers repeating their pre-made gaming procedures over and over again boringly, disregarding players’ gaming experience and their human rights

A. It's unbelievable how he regards our investment and effort as s***. The owner's a hairy c***.

B. In regard to the text in bold, where the f*** he gets the nerve to talk about human rights? Who makes his money, university graduates in businessmen suits or Chinese children kidnapped from their parents?

That sure pissed me off. If that guy was within my physical reach, he'd get beaten.

Edited by DeeKay

Dumbasses.

Jagex has done the very minimum of what is required, in order so that it appears that they're attempting to do something. The result from this is just the site will change to a different domain and will be under a different name.

The amount of bots will not decrease. There are thousands of different sites offering RuneScape services, and tens of thousands of players offering the same. Changes to one site (and let's think about it, the site isn't going away, it's just going to change name) is going to do absolutely jack-all in the scheme of things.

Which i'm sure you have proof to back up that Jagex is only doing the bare minimum.

Dumbasses.

Which i'm sure you have proof to back up that Jagex is only doing the bare minimum.

I think the bare proof can be seen just by playing. They have not got this bot problem 'under control'.

You mean to say that Jagex has been doing the bare minimum required to make players think they are trying to stop bots, while in fact they most likely don't care at all.

Or the more likely option that they DO care but are resigned to the fact that they can't do anything about it.

Or the more likely option that they DO care but are resigned to the fact that they can't do anything about it.

This is my view on the problem.

Let's say they take away the wilderness and free trade (again). Sure, the gold farmers are unable to continue their business as usual, but all the provider of the botting services has to do is simply get a different program for grinding various skills.

However, legal action is a step in the right direction, despite how slow and possibly ineffective it can be.