Sal's RuneScape Forum
Roy

Item Transparency Tool (2.7)

If you have a lot of images of items to make transparent and upload, wouldn't it be handy if there was something that could do the boring work for you? A program where you just drag all those images to and that program does all the work with a press of a button?

I've been developing such a program that takes the images, makes them transparent and either saves them or uploads them to Imgur.com. It's fully operational, has a good UI and with a few more features. I did this to make it easier for myself but there are probably a lot more people who could use it.

Requirements

.NET Framework 4.0

How to use

1. Open images in tool
  2. Click upload
  3. Copy url links
  4. Paste urls in post

Screenshots

PmSn8.png

1. Items to make transparent (right original, right done by program)
  2. Save button
  3. Upload button
  4. Upload results
  5. Imgur info (everyone gets 50 uploads per hour from Imgur)
  6. New update notifier (shows down when there's a new update)
  7. Internet connection notifier (Turns red when it couldn't connect to Imgur; press to retrieve Imgur info)

Ao9fQ.png

Drag and drop items to right panel.

7O1no.png

Program makes them transparent automatically.

XPFy3.png

Uploading

Xu4Av.png

Uploading is done.

Qvq1d.png

File menu.

9alrO.png

New update interface.

Extra's

You can now upload any image file (if it's an item or not) to imgur by using the new 'Upload Files' option in the File menu.

Download

2.6:

wUtER.png

Or download the old version (2.5) here:

download

Change Log

Improved auto-updater.

Changed some small things.

Improved the auto-update

Improved the auto-update.

Small improvements to UI.

Improved code

Improved code.

Added error handling when file access is denied.

Optimized cropping and transparency code (made it about 4.6 times faster).

Added version to about box.

Cropping is now done based on the closest black pixel and not always with a preset value.

Cropping the image too small won't cause incorrect results anymore.

Improved code.

Items like the Amulet of Fury or certain rings (items with a bit of background inside them) give better results now.

Fixed a bug.

Improved code.

Fixed another bug.

Added an option to upload files without cropping

improved some code

Added tooltips showing the original filename.

Fixed a bug with uploading gif images (they lost transparency).

Now possible to paste selections from paint directly into the program.

Added menu item for paste image.

Double-clicking on an item after it has been uploaded, copies the url (including img-tags) to the clipboard.

When Imgur goes off-line for maintenance, the program will give a message saying so.

The update box is slightly bigger now to see the changelog entries better.

Using the new imgur api.

Removed the imgur info (can't figure out how to get that right now).

Solved a bug where you couldn't upload anything.

Added a crosshair to drag to the item you want to crop.

Added a vertical scrollbar to the changelog textbox.

Added a contextmenu to upload, save and open the original in mspaint.

Added a shortcut (Ctrl+D) to capture an item close to the cursor (similar to the crossshair drag and drop).

Added commandline 'TransparencyTool.exe -u file1 file2 ... fileN' for uploading images.

Also included a batch file in the installation directory (uploadFiles.bat).

Simply drag the files you want to upload on that batch file or a link to that batch file.

Fixed a bug in the image quantization (some images changed when saving/uploading).

Fixed a bug where the transparency would be lost after saving/uploading.

The program will now check if it has done its work correctly.

If it finds any problems with the transparency, it will now make that item's background red.

So if you see some red, double-check the image.

Corrected the dropbox url where the update log is located (for some reason it ended with .cm instead of .com).

Improved the algorithm, it now works for more difficult items like the brawlers knockout necklace.

Uploading an image when imgur.com is over capacity, will give an error about giraffes.

Improved the algorithm a little bit.

Feedback

If you find any bugs, please don't hesitate to post them; Any ideas are welcome too.

Edited by Roy

I suppose this is useful for those without Photoshop, etc. However, I don't imagine it works flawlessly without already blanking out the background in paint (Obviously I see your examples, but it can't be FLAWLESS).

Another problem is the item shadow - We don't include that in the Databases.

However, it's a great piece of work! I'm sure it will be very handy.

I suppose this is useful for those without Photoshop, etc. However, I don't imagine it works flawlessly without already blanking out the background in paint (Obviously I see your examples, but it can't be FLAWLESS).

The whole algorithm to get the background off is based on the black line around the item. There are cases where it partly fails (when there are 'holes' in the line, when pieces of the background are on the inside and it doesn't work great on stackable items) but it should work for most.

You mean the brown line around the right-bottom edges? I always kept those on, has there been a recent decision to not include it?

However, it's a great piece of work! I'm sure it will be very handy.

Thanks

Edited by Roy

Good job Roy :D

Yes we do :(

There's a large inconsistency in that, now that I actually look. Lots of items have it (the majority, even), but lots don't.

Frankly we shouldn't - it looks slightly messy.

There's a large inconsistency in that, now that I actually look. Lots of items have it (the majority, even), but lots don't.

Frankly we shouldn't - it looks slightly messy.

On the contrary, I think item backgrounds give it a nice look, and besides, it gives a more accurate representaion of how they look in-game.

Nice, I'll definately get it once the next db drive gets on or I get bored and want to complete the dung item db. :(

The whole algorithm to get the background off is based on the black line around the item. There are cases where it partly fails (when there are 'holes' in the line, when pieces of the background are on the inside and it doesn't work great on stackable items) but it should work for most.

Items with background in them get transparent correctly now.

mJPw1.png

Edited by Roy

That's good :( It'd be interesting to see if you could add an in-program editor to fix stuff like broken barrows armour with incomplete lines.

That's good :( It'd be interesting to see if you could add an in-program editor to fix stuff like broken barrows armour with incomplete lines.

I was also thinking about that, and maybe a way to take a screenshot of the screen and select the items you want to make transparent. But that's for later (maybe tomorrow).

Roy, I never got back to you about this after I tested it out -- sorry about that! It's really a fantastic tool and you really did an awesome job here - it's by far easier and quicker than trying to transparentize images manually. Thank you for sharing this with us! :(

I apologize for the massive bump but I see no other way of notifying the people who might be interested in this without posting in a relatively old topic.

I had the idea to add a normal upload function that doesn't start cropping out the background of the images but just uploads them to imgur and gives the url's.

So after a bit of programming I finished it and perhaps some might find it useful to have a program to upload their images.

Edited by Roy

Thanks for bumping--I hadn't realized it was here and it will be a huge help.

Small update...

Fixed a bug with the new upload files option where gif images lost their transparency.

And added a tooltips to show the original filename of the images.

I never knew this topic existed until it was bumped last week. Could we PLEASE sticky this? It's a very useful tool -- thank you, Roy!

While added some more images I noticed a way to improve this even more.

I always take a screenshot, open it in paint and then select the item, crop it, save it and do so with all items in the screenshot I want. (Then open those saved images with the transparency tool.)

This isn't very efficient so I improved the program so that it's possible to just select something from paint, copy/cut it and paste it into the program. It makes things a lot easier I think...

I never knew this topic existed until it was bumped last week. Could we PLEASE sticky this? It's a very useful tool -- thank you, Roy!

Stickying would be nice...

Imgur has released its new version of the api the program uses to upload the images. If I understand correctly they will drop their support for the previous api in about 6 months so I edited the program to use the new one.

So if it's July and you can't upload anything, check if you got the newest version (1.17+).

Stickied! :D

Thank you for sharing this awesome tool, Roy! It definitely makes the job of transparency a bit easier. :)

I keep getting "too many uploads, try again later." Any ideas?

I keep getting "too many uploads, try again later." Any ideas?

It seems that the new api for imgur needs a bit more work... It's fixed now by going back to the old one.

Where can I get to this old one?

Where can I get to this old one?

I changed it in the program to the old one (it's nothing more than a adjusting a small number).

You can download the new version of the prgram:

dl.dropbox.com/u/847423/TransparencyTool.exe

And normally if you open the old version you have it should give you a warning about a new update.

Edited by Roy

Okay thanks. I'm guessing you can only use this for items right?