Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Diablo

Sprained Ankle?

First, feel free to move this to another section if its in the wrong place can't find the right place.

Anyways, Today I was running outside with my friends then i tripped in a hole then i fell into another hole, I felt my ankle crack twice. I had to limp all the way home cause it was hurting really badly. Now my questions to you are:

1. How can you tell if it is sprained/fractured without seeing a doctor?

2. My ankle has a soft bulged bump on the side. That's what hurts, Can I tell by that what it is?

3. I am sitting here typing this throbbing in pain. I can no move my ankle at all. Is it fracture, sprained, broke, or is it nothing and it will heal soon?

Edited by diablo41298

First of all, where do you live, and if you live in a place where you have to pay for medical care, are you covered by insurance or do you have an option so that you can get this looked at by a doctor?

If yes, you need to get over your fear (I'm assuming here) and go to a doctor.

If there's some extra circumstance, I would say if you can WALK on it (even if it's limping) I'd generally say you're fine, but the problem is I'm really not certified to make that claim. You should probably bandage it up regardless of what you do, and I seriously recommend you go to a doctor if that's even remotely possible.

First of all, where do you live, and if you live in a place where you have to pay for medical care, are you covered by insurance or do you have an option so that you can get this looked at by a doctor?

If yes, you need to get over your fear (I'm assuming here) and go to a doctor.

If there's some extra circumstance, I would say if you can WALK on it (even if it's limping) I'd generally say you're fine, but the problem is I'm really not certified to make that claim. You should probably bandage it up regardless of what you do, and I seriously recommend you go to a doctor if that's even remotely possible.

I live in the U.S. I can go to the doctor, but i don't have a ride there my parents are with the car and most my friends are in another state.

It sounds like a sprain @ the minimum - possibly a dislocation/fracture but unlikely to be the last if you could walk on it without falling down screaming in deadly pain.

The cracks were probably just the bones shifting in the sockets (like when u crack your fingers/neck) under stress, its part of the bodies natural defences or there would be hospital wards & hallway overflowing with broken limbs all the time

Still strap it up & rest it till you can go to see a doc, as soon as possible just in case it is something worse.

The cracks were probably just the bones shifting in the sockets (like when u crack your fingers/neck) under stress
That is very wrong. The sound you hear is from gases escaping the synovial fluid which is between joints.

Sounds like you sprained it. Use the RICE treatment. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Pretty self explanatory. If it continues to swell and begins to bruise, it is sprained at the least. If you absolutely cannot stand moving it or putting pressure on it, it could be worse than a sprain. There's nothing a doctor can really do to help a sprain; they'll give you an ankle brace and crutches, and it has to heal on it's own. If it's broken, you'll want to go to a doctor otherwise it could heal back incorrectly and give you significantly worse problems in the future.

It's probably not a break if you can walk on it, however that may not be the case. Try putting some ice on it for a bit to try calm the pain, even if it's just until someone turns up who can take you to get help.

The most likely injury is either a sprain or bruised bone, I'm always hearing cracking noises from my ankle when I twist it weird.

just got back from the doctor. I'm fine. Gave me crutches and a cast type thing.Tore some ligaments and my growth plate. I get to be off of school tomorrow. And today was only the first day of school. :(

You'll notice it if it's fractured.

It's that painful.

Just see the doctor later.

You'll notice it if it's fractured.

It's that painful.

Just see the doctor later.

Actually, you may not. I know first hand that pain doesn't always equal having injury. Especially where bones are concerned. That is just a misconception, it varies between people.

You should go to the doctor if you have the cash on hand, ankle fractures are nasty because of the constant stress put on them. Don't wait to long to go (try for under three months), if it keeps hurting.

~John

The cracks were probably just the bones shifting in the sockets (like when u crack your fingers/neck) under stress
That is very wrong. The sound you hear is from gases escaping the synovial fluid which is between joints.

Sounds like you sprained it. Use the RICE treatment. Rest, ice, compression, elevation. Pretty self explanatory. If it continues to swell and begins to bruise, it is sprained at the least. If you absolutely cannot stand moving it or putting pressure on it, it could be worse than a sprain. There's nothing a doctor can really do to help a sprain; they'll give you an ankle brace and crutches, and it has to heal on it's own. If it's broken, you'll want to go to a doctor otherwise it could heal back incorrectly and give you significantly worse problems in the future.

Yeah I agree, if RICE doesn't work, then I would defiantly go to a doctor. I've played football(soccer) and know a fair bit about foot and ankle injuries and if it's giving you a lot of trouble, go to a doctor for sure because if it's healed wrong it can be very bad.