Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
_max

The Presidency

was reading an article in Time Magazine today, and it was talking about how people blame the president about the economy, yet it's not solely(or really) his fault.

so, who is really responsible for the current economic crisis. the presidency(past or present) or congress(which party(or both) past/present)

discuss.

I just don't like the entire basis of the US Style of Government in which the Head of State is given this artificially high power which he (or she, I suppose) really shouldn't have. Should be spread out as a more partisan based system where the actual President is involved far less.

As for the exact topic at hand, I don't think you can blame the President, but people use the President as a scapegoat for absolutely everything. I think Obama is one person who, although not the most successful president, managed to keep his head. I know I have very little basis for that, so no need to fight me on that, but I think he's managed to genuinely keep what he wants to happen for the country in his heart, instead of the power deluding him.

Anyways, I'm so barely on topic I'll stop now, even though I could go on for ever.

I just don't like the entire basis of the US Style of Government in which the Head of State is given this artificially high power which he (or she, I suppose) really shouldn't have. Should be spread out as a more partisan based system where the actual President is involved far less.

As for the exact topic at hand, I don't think you can blame the President, but people use the President as a scapegoat for absolutely everything. I think Obama is one person who, although not the most successful president, managed to keep his head. I know I have very little basis for that, so no need to fight me on that, but I think he's managed to genuinely keep what he wants to happen for the country in his heart, instead of the power deluding him.

Anyways, I'm so barely on topic I'll stop now, even though I could go on for ever.

Eh the president can make barely any decisions without approval of Congress so I don't see what you're getting at.

Eh the president can make barely any decisions without approval of Congress so I don't see what you're getting at.
Pretty much this.

People get their panties in a bunch and are quick to blame the President for the problems in our country, but don't really realize that he doesn't have complete power. He has very little power ultimately, Congress should receive the blame.

Pretty much this.

People get their panties in a bunch and are quick to blame the President for the problems in our country, but don't really realize that he doesn't have complete power. He has very little power ultimately, Congress should receive the blame.

this is what i mean, there are so many people right now who won't reelect the president(not the point) but will reelect the current members of congress, it just doesn't make sense to me

Funny how nobody was blaming congress when it was full of Democrats...

You know, when this whole thing started.

The president is a single figurehead and the dominant force in the executive branch of our government. He is (supposed) to set the tone and enforce regulations. Regulations are a major portion of the business environment, doubly-so for small and medium business. A president that fails in this is at least one cause of an overall sense of uncertainty. Businesspeople didn't know if the plan would be from the Democrats or Republicans, if it would be a continuation of Clinton or Bush, if it would be wholly or partially new, or even if there would be a plan. There's no square deal, there's no fair deal, there's no new deal. Compromise only works when it's accepted: it's necessary to an extent but it's been unbalanced and inconsistent as politicians play politics for reelection votes.

Because Bush did shizzle without the approval of Congress. Such as authorizing torture and the like.

was reading an article in Time Magazine today

First problem. Time is covered with poor charts, bad polls, and laughable writing.

But ya, the President doesn't have that much power over the economy. Congress has way more power in that regards and even then it's out of their control. The most recent large expansion (the Dot Com Boom) was powered by the nerds and geeks, not the politicians whose most impressive skills involve kissing bare skin of newborns and lobbyists.

Because Bush did shizzle without the approval of Congress. Such as authorizing torture and the like.

You can't use executive orders to pass a budget, buddy.

And since when does torture have anything to do with this?

First problem. Time is covered with poor charts, bad polls, and laughable writing.

But ya, the President doesn't have that much power over the economy. Congress has way more power in that regards and even then it's out of their control. The most recent large expansion (the Dot Com Boom) was powered by the nerds and geeks, not the politicians whose most impressive skills involve kissing bare skin of newborns and lobbyists.

do explain

@theking: you could argue the republicans started this mess under Clinton. The fact is that both parties don't get shizzle done if it's their year to be reelected which is the real problem, no?

do explain

Ummm, where to begin?

Almost of all of their charts, graphs, or polls either poorly worded, show misleading information, or designed to elicit a response (trolling). There was one that map of the US that showed the states based on if they supported Obama as compared to the average. It looked oddly like the electoral maps when he won the election (It was based on how they ranked by average. It's like people would be surprised that people don't support him in the South...) but it still got my sister to say "Wow! That's bad news for him," after looking at it casually. They can get away with this by not having any context in them. One time they listed about 1 billion (or something like that) neutrons escaping from Fukishima. Without context that number means nothing and no layman has that kind of context. This leads me into the writing...

I might be spoiled with sources like National Geographic and textbooks and Rock Paper Shotgun and Cracked but it's just terrible. Usually there is very little insight, being practically copied and pasted from a brochure on whatever it was about, and typos. (I can fail a paper for the amount of comma errors they let slip...) I can't even read any of their articles on energy or culture just because of how terrible they are.

Oh and then there's the fact that they practically don't even bother trying to hide their biases. Seriously, when Obama was squaring off against Hillary in a predominantly white state, they ran a full cover issue detailing how he was raised by his white mother. They were even called out on that by white Obama supporters. It was bad. Later in the champagne they ran one all about the dangers of skin cancer and why McCain was a dangerous choice. I'm pretty sure they just gave up hiding it there. I don't care about who the writers support as long as it doesn't effect the integrity of the writing. It has... They aren't as bad as some places *glares at Fox News* but that doesn't mean it's ignorable.

But this pretty much sums up my thoughts in a humorous way :(

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight.

People need a person to blame

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...a dark knight.

People need a person to blame

We should amend the constitution to say this for the President's job description :(

You can't bring the government to the brink of shutdown or default.

That's happened in only ONE situation.

Democratic Executive, Republican Legislative.

Funny, in that situation we had one of our biggest periods of growth. Weren't the 90s just magical?

Funny, in that situation we had one of our biggest periods of growth. Weren't the 90s just magical?

Couldn't've said it better myself.

Also, saying that the current legislature is Republican is true in theory, but in practice this is a false statement. The Tea Party politicians are mavericks.

Also, saying that the current legislature is Republican is true in theory, but in practice this is a false statement. The Tea Party politicians are mavericks.

Republican intransigence led to the market dives during that debt ceiling debate.

LNS14000000_7215_1316269728629.gif

From Jan 2009, to Jan 2010, the U.S. was still stuck in recession, so unemployment rate rose. When the recession ended, although it crept up and down, the general trend shows that the U.S. created jobs. Look at 1/11. Where are the jobs now?

The economy was recovering before 2011. Now it's stagnant. Something happened at 1/11. I don't know, maybe you can tell me.

Republican intransigence led to the market dives during that debt ceiling debate.

LNS14000000_7215_1316269728629.gif

From Jan 2009, to Jan 2010, the U.S. was still stuck in recession, so unemployment rate rose. When the recession ended, although it crept up and down, the general trend shows that the U.S. created jobs. Look at 1/11. Where are the jobs now?

The economy was recovering before 2011. Now it's stagnant. Something happened at 1/11. I don't know, maybe you can tell me.

As I explained already, the balance of power changed against both "normal" Republicans and Democrats.

In practice, there is now a third party in the Congress, the Republican Tea Party. Many TP-endorsed politicans were elected promising never to increase taxes or spending for example, something that moderate Republicans may be willing to compromise with Democrats on.

Previously either the Democrats or the "normal" Republicans had a clear majority and that's how shizzle got done. Now, nobody has the majority because of all the Tea Party Republicans.

I'm no fan of the Tea Party, but the situation is more complex than "The Democrats were fixing the economy but then the Republicans had to fudge it up". The moderate Republicans would have raised the debt ceiling in a heartbeat if they were truly in power.

Edited by theking1322