Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WolfieMario

Faking Tasks

fakingtaskslogo.png

Introduction

This thread is my attempt to keep faking alive, even in spite how slow things have gotten (and by slow, I mean a complete standstill). Basically, I give people "tasks", which are like faking ideas, but I set some requirements and suggest some optional bonuses. I also give help for these tasks.

When you complete a task, I give a formal rating of your fake (including c/c and suggestions), assign an amount of "Faking XP" I think you earned, and possibly give you ₧ and a faking award. All of this is also added to a scoresheet below, and you gain the right to request a "Faking XP Goal" signature (see below).

Task Request Form

Please fill out this form if you would like a task:

1. Programs you are willing to use:

2. Rough difficulty level of fake:

3. Is a p2p idea okay?

4. Type of fake (optional):

5. Subject of fake (optional):

6. Amount of time the fake should take (optional):

7. Deadline (optional):

For details:

1. Pretty simple, just say any program you are willing to use. Not any program you can use, any one you are willing to use. The point of faking is to be fun, not a chore :ph34r:

2. The difficulty level can be stated in your own words (e.g. "novice", "beginner", "as hard as such-and-such fake", "easier than such-and-such", "harder than anything even WolfieMario has attempted", etc.), or you could use my scale:

levelsu.png

That's my own personal scale on my ideas list (hence why "The usual..." is my example of a "YIKES!" fake; those are the only ideas from my list that I've really done :o)

3. You can say yes to this if you don't mind a fake idea involving members-only features. If you are currently f2p, or have never been p2p, then you may want to say no. Note: Saying yes does not guarantee a p2p idea :)

4. Type of fake basically means "item fake", "chatbox fake", "HTML Edit", "fullscreen fake", "Standard Detail fake without interface", or anything else you can think of, as well as any combination of these.

5. "Subject" doesn't mean you have to come up with an idea. You could just say something as simple as "weapons", "Minecraft", "scary", or whatever. Or you could write the idea, if you want :wizard:

6. Pretty straightforward. I'll do my best to approximate how long it would take for you, not me :o

7. If you don't do something without a deadline, setting a deadline may help ;). Also, setting a deadline can increase the amount of ₧ you earn for finishing. NOTE: If you fail to complete your task within the deadline, I will still rate it and give you XP, and may still give an award too. But failing your own deadline means you will not earn any ₧ (except from an award, if you get one).

About Faking XP and ₧

The XP you earn from a task is based on how much effort went into your end result. I'll do my best to infer how hard it was for you, rather than how hard it would have been for me (especially if I would have used a different technique). I tend to be a bit generous when I do that, so don't worry ^_^

₧ are the unit of currency in my contest. When you complete a task, there are several ways you can earn ₧:

1. The qualities of your fake: You get 1₧ for having a funny fake, 2₧ for putting a lot of effort into it, 2₧ for putting a lot of detail into it (or editing a lot of things), and 3₧ for having barely any (or no) flaws.

2. Faking Awards: Just like any fake, the fakes you make for tasks can get awards from me. Like all fake awards I give, the award gives some amount of ₧ to whoever earns it (usually a pretty decently large amount, too :)). Note that when you complete a task for me, I *have* to look at it an rate it formally... That may or may not slightly increase your chance at getting an award :)

3. Sticking to a Deadline: If you set a deadline for yourself, you can earn ₧ if you complete your fake before the deadline's up. You can set a deadline at any time, however the ₧ you earn are based on the time you accepted the task. If your deadline is 7 days or less after you've accepted your task, you get 3₧. If it's 20 days or less after you accept, you get 2₧. If it's 40 days or less, 1₧. You do not get ₧ if your deadline gives you more than 40 days ;)

Important note: If you fail to complete a fake before your self-imposed deadline, you will not earn any ₧ from sections 1, 3, or 4. I will still rate your fake and give you XP though, and it is still possible to earn ₧ from an award (see section 2).

4. Not needing Reminders: I will occasionally remind you of your task if you have been inactive and have not shown occasional progress. If you don't need any reminders, you get 2₧. If you needed 1 reminder, you still get 1₧. If you needed more than 1 reminder, you don't get ₧ for this.

Tip: You can avoid getting reminders by posting WIPs on my thread occasionally.

Scoresheet

TasksScoresheet.png

taskskey.png

Task-related Rewards

You must have completed at least one task to claim any of these rewards. All rewards are free, and can be claimed theoretically any number of times.

Faking XP Signature: Similar to the one in my signature. Basically, a Draynor Skill Goal-style signature, representing your faking level and XP.

Request form:

Goal:

Current Faking XP:

Background Color/Image:

The Goal may be a level (e.g. 99), or an amount of XP in millions (e.g. 200M). I don't care if you choose a level higher than 120 or lower than 1, or more than 200M XP. This is faking, after all ;)

Your current Faking XP can be anything (doesn't have anything to do with XP from my tasks). If you're being serious about this, try to think how much XP you feel you have in Faking. You can even look over your old fakes, and try giving each an XP value, and "total up" your XP. Or you could just give me any number you like, I don't care ;)

You can choose a "color" from this page, or link any image of your choosing. Note that any image you provide must be cropped to 320x29.

Edited by WolfieMario

An easy way to get contest points? Free ideas? A NEW TOPIC!?

I'm in!

1. Programs you are willing to use: MS Paint, Paint.NET

2. Rough difficulty level of fake: Medium, 10000XP

3. Type of fake (optional): Fixed screen (the classic inventory, mini-map, chatbox, and gamescreen sort)

6. Deadline (optional): If I don't set one of these I'll never get it done, so Sept. 27, 12:00AM EST

1. Programs you are willing to use: Photoshop (including .Gif animation if nessecary), Blender.

2. Rough difficulty level of fake: As hard as you think I can handle - perhaps just below Yikes? :(

3. Type of fake (optional): Fixed Screen, HD, antialiased.

Please dont give me terror dogs :D

I'll see if I can squeeze a level or two into one of those Explosive boxes for you just for coming up with this, Wolfie.

I would definitely want to do this! It would depend if I had time, with school and all >_<

EDIT:

1. Programs you are willing to use: GIMP, MsPaint

2. Rough difficulty level of fake: Medium

3. Type of fake (optional):

4. Subject of fake (optional):

5. Amount of time the fake should take (optional): I dunno. I work fast, but probably won't have that much time due to parental controls and schoolwork... (which I should be working on now :()

6. Deadline (optional):

Edited by Kyra10987

Right-o, I'm bored

1. Programs you are willing to use: Paint, Paint.net

2. Rough difficulty level of fake: Easy :(

3. Type of fake (optional): Surprise me

4. Subject of fake (optional): BACON STRIPS Surprise me

If this works Omega will be off Hiatus again. Just sayin. I may or may not be into this, but I might give it a shot.

TBFL 4EVER

Edited by Admiral

If this works Omega will be off Hiatus again. Just sayin. I may or may not be into this, but I might give it a shot.

TBFL 4EVER

CRUMPET POWER

...er, sorry, I mean:

1. Programs you are willing to use: Paint, Fireworks

6. Deadline (optional): What with homework/school/fatigue, I will not set a deadline.

God bless you, Wolfie. :(

Wolfie :D

I suggest adding "7. Are you F2P or P2P" if that makes a difference in your massive list of fakes.

Don't want to give a F2P'er a fake only a Member could create :(

Wolfie :D

I suggest adding "7. Are you F2P or P2P" if that makes a difference in your massive list of fakes.

Don't want to give a F2P'er a fake only a Member could create :P

That's actually a good idea; I didn't consider it :D

And I'll be responding to all of you shortly; I got home from college at 6PM (:D) and still have some chores before my grandmother comes over.

EDIT 1:

TBFL 4EVER

What is this talk about these Omegas and these TBFLs?! Thee art heathens! How dare you defy the crown of ROFL?!

(though seriously... I thought we agreed those two groups merged :()

Edited by WolfieMario

I thought RofL failed. No offense. Faking totally died besides the CYOA. But you helped run RofL and you're now doing this. I'm just... taking the burden off...

...but my loyalties will always lie with the original, the legendary, The one and only Omega Faking Group. Rest in peace.

Anyway, I may give it a shot but I've gotten out of Runescape so I don't know.

And.. dare I ask about the font?

Ehh, the forum was already dead by the time ROFL was in progress. In the time since it closed, I already threw away hope for the castle and that one fake we were working on, so it's not that big a deal I guess.

Anyways, I won't be joining any new Omegas or TBFLs though... As you said, I'll be running this, and there's also a video series I've been wanting to start (nothing too special like my last vid... Basically it'll just be effects for the sake of effects).

About the font... I think I may see if I can get that program to work on my flashdrive; Wednesdays I have large gaps between classes so I could try working on it again. Sorry, the Golden Gnomes basically pushed aside all my other internet-related plans for the summer... And yes, I did forget again :(. Don't worry, though, I won't be doing other peoples' contest rewards until I get yours done, since it's been on hold for ages :D

EDIT 1:

1. Programs you are willing to use: Photoshop (including .Gif animation if nessecary), Blender.

2. Rough difficulty level of fake: As hard as you think I can handle - perhaps just below Yikes? :D

3. Type of fake (optional): Fixed Screen, HD, antialiased.

Please dont give me terror dogs :evil:

Task: "Blade of Amascut"

Assigned to: Hunter

Idea: This idea was originally for Deti/Swordsz Man's "Godly Enchant Contest". More specifically, I made the idea in an attempt to nag my irl friend Viral Aether into participating, but he decided not to.

Basically, you have a sword dedicated to Amascut the Devourer, the Menaphite goddess. Its special attack is "Soul Devour", or something to that effect. It damages the victim's prayer and (obviously) lifepoints, and the user is healed based on the damage dealt (e.g. the more damage dealt to the victim's prayer and lifepoints, the more the user is healed). So it's basically like the Soul Split curse, but in the form of a special attack, and a bit more powerful. I already came up with an idea for the weapon's design:

amascutbladehunter.png

You may vary this or do something entirely different altogether. For reference, I was inspired by an Angry Goblin's sword, and the symbol of Amascut as the hilt:

amascutbladeangrygobhun.png

Requirements: Screenshot 1: You must show the weapon equipped in the full equipment window, with stats. You must make the inventory icon from scratch. If you are wielding anything besides the sword, actually total the stats up correctly :D

Screenshot 2: Have your character weilding the sword, in a close-up shot by the Orb of Oculus (since you said in Skype you'd be doing it in Blender, you don't actually need your real character in the OoO shot :D). The shot may be cropped, e.g. the Orb's interface is not needed.

Screenshot 3: Depict the weapon's special attack in a screenshot. It doesn't matter how you do the effects, or what effects you do, so long as it looks RuneScape-like. All that is needed is your character using the spec against somebody else. Don't forget the hitsplats! Interface is neccesary, with the special attack (Attack Style) interface tab open, showing the amount of special attack drained.

Optional/Bonuses: Screenshot 1: You may do faking in the chatbox, inventory, interface, etc. of the first screenshot. You may make other fake inventory items if you like, but if you make them non-RuneScape-like it may cause you to lose points. Suggestion: add the item's examine in the chatbox.

Screenshot 3: You may fake the chatbox of the third screenshot as well.

Extra Screenshot A: You may show a screenshot of the weapon's stats window (e.g. what comes up when you do rightclick -> Stats). This is to show the weapon's own stats, if your character was wearing anything else in Screenshot 1. You may crop it to only show the small window that comes up.

Extra Screenshots B and C: You may provide up to two additional screenshots of the special attack in action; they may be at different angles or different stages of the attack. For these additional shots, the interface is not needed.

Extra Animation A: If you like, you may actually create an animation of the special attack in action. Interface is not needed; you may have it cropped around the action. You may present it as an animated GIF, or a YouTube video, or both (no bonus for doing it as both, though :P). Bear in mind that this animation would be enough to push the fake to the "YIKES!" tier, so only try it if you're sure you want to, and it's okay to give up and only do the mandatory parts or other bonuses :D

Do you accept this task? If not, you may apply for another task, or see if Spria can give you an easier task (Not Turael since I know you did WGS :P)

Also note (and this applies to everyone) the specified bonuses aren't the only things you can do for more XP, Pts, or a chance at an award. If you can put other things in it that I enjoy or am impressed by, that will help :P

EDIT 2:

An easy way to get contest points? Free ideas? A NEW TOPIC!?

I'm in!

1. Programs you are willing to use: MS Paint, Paint.NET

2. Rough difficulty level of fake: Medium, 10000XP

3. Type of fake (optional): Fixed screen (the classic inventory, mini-map, chatbox, and gamescreen sort)

6. Deadline (optional): If I don't set one of these I'll never get it done, so Sept. 27, 12:00AM EST

Free ideas? Yes. New topic? Of course. Easy way to get Pts? Nope.avi

The Pts you get will be the same type you get for fake awards, so the amount you get won't put fake awards to shame. If you complete all the requirements of your task, you'll only be guaranteed one point. If your task was very hard, or you used difficult/amazing techniques in it, or you did the optional parts as well, the amount of Pts you get will be greater. I'm still not fully sure how much you'll get until I see the results :P

Task: "26: Broken Anvil"

Assigned to: Guitarguy

Idea: I'm not sure, but I think you wanted to make a single fake, rather than multiple?

Anyhow, the idea is that you're at an anvil somewhere, and its cracked in half, with a warhammer wedged in it (the warhammer can be iron, or any other low-level metal). In the chatbox, you see a message taking up the whole box (similar to NPC chat or levelup messages... Be sure to use the NPC font!). The message is "It appears some noob thought they could use a warhammer for smithing... You'll have to find another one.", or something to that effect. On the left side of the chatbox, you see the cracked anvil at a better angle, with most of the warhammer visible (it's OK if part of the handle isn't visible, or if the base of the anvil isn't visible).

So basically, if you know those messages when you get a quest item, and the item image is on the left side of the chatbox, this is exactly the same layout (hint: it's practically the same layout as chatting with an NPC, there's just no name at the top :crying:).

Suggestion: if you can find a secluded anvil, all on its own, far from a bank, that would be the best. One example would be Doric's anvil southeast of Port Sarim, though I have no idea why anybody would want to use that one :sleep2:

Requirements: Screenshot: As mentioned above, a character standing by a broken anvil with a warhammer wedged into it. The chatbox must contain a close-up of the damaged anvil, as well as text such as "It appears some noob thought they could use a warhammer for smithing... You'll have to find another one." or something similar.

Optional/Bonuses: You can feel free to add any details you like, such as inventory items, etc.

Do you accept this task?

EDIT 3:

I'll see if I can squeeze a level or two into one of those Explosive boxes for you just for coming up with this, Wolfie.

Whythankyou :P

I would definitely want to do this! It would depend if I had time, with school and all >_<

EDIT:

1. Programs you are willing to use: GIMP, MsPaint

3. Type of fake (optional):

4. Subject of fake (optional):

5. Amount of time the fake should take (optional): I dunno. I work fast, but probably won't have that much time due to parental controls and schoolwork... (which I should be working on now :wizard:)

6. Deadline (optional):

Task: "52: Noobing Level"

Assigned to: Kyra10987

Idea: Pretty simple, kinda unoriginal idea :D. Basically, "Noobing" is now a skill.

Requirements: Screenshot 1: A noob says "Ooh money!" or something like that, and there is a pile of 4 coins on the ground.

Screenshot 2: The noob has picked up the money (the chatbox can say "You pick up 4 coins", to make it obvious). The chatbox must also say "You've just advanced a Noobing level! You have reached level 2." The level up screen (the one that lists what you can now do) should also be present, where it lists "You can now follow Zezima", as well as anything else you want. The icon for Zezima can just be one of the heads from the Thieving guide, if you want. You *must* fake some sort of icon for the Noobing skill, as it appears on this window, just like any other levelup screen.

Screenshot 3: In the chatbox, there is a level 99 Noobing message (like this). The noob should be in a different location; it's been a while :beret:. You *must* add a Noobing skill to the Skills tab, and it should basically resemble the larger icon you had to make for the 2nd screenshot. You can replace an existing skill with the Noobing skill if you like. Also, the icon in the chatbox should be the same as the Noobing icon you made for Screenshot 2.

Screenshot 4: The Noobing Skillcape emote! You should have the noob, wearing the noobing skillcape (design it however you like :aware:), on his/her knees, begging to some rich person (maybe at the GE?). Existing ingame emotes should make the on-your-knees pose fairly easy, or you could just use the dying animation (before the character completely falls over, of course :hello:). Either way, have words of begging above the noob's head.

Optional/Bonuses: Screenshot 2: You can have other things listed in addition to "You can now follow Zezima."

Screenshot 3: You can also change/add a few other skill icons to the skills tab, if you like :santa:

Screenshot 4: If you somehow make the emote unique (e.g. not just taking the death pose), I'd appreciate that :queen:

Do you accept this task? Sorry if it would take too much time :P

And remember, as always, you can throw in other details and stuff to any of the screenshots.

EDIT 4:

Right-o, I'm bored

1. Programs you are willing to use: Paint, Paint.net

2. Rough difficulty level of fake: Easy :P

3. Type of fake (optional): Surprise me

4. Subject of fake (optional): BACON STRIPS Surprise me

Task: "98: Soldier Roach vs. Raid"

Assigned to: Admiral

Idea: What if you had a can of Raid (or any other bug spray) and used it on one of the massive Soldier Roaches in the Stronghold of Player Safety?

Requirements: Screenshot: You must have a can of Raid, or any other bug spray, in your inventory. You must also have your character spraying it at a Soldier Roach (the can should be visible in their hand, as well as some specks of spray. Try not to make all the specks individual pixels; you can have specks vary between 1, 2 and 3 pixels and it would look more RS-ish). The roach should be taking a large hit of damage, and have very low health left. Hint: Use a hitsplat from my kit, and you'll need to open the kit in Paint.net to get the transparency right (at least I think it should work...)

Optional/Bonuses: You can create a custom icon for the type of damage the spray causes. You can also have multiple cans in the inventory, in different colors (e.g. different scents of spray :doubt:)

Do you accept this task? It's actually a low-medium task, not an easy task, but I hope you don't mind :blink:

Sorry, Mr E, I'll try to get you a task sometime tomorrow :D

Edited by WolfieMario

Any chance at PMing me that Ahrim model? :( It'd be useful.

@Hunter: Done. Btw, I plan on making some of my own models publicly available to anyone on this topic, just to be fair (though Hunter bought a model of his character in Ahrim's, by spending his own Pts, so that won't be public).

1. Programs you are willing to use: Paint, Fireworks

6. Deadline (optional): What with homework/school/fatigue, I will not set a deadline.

God bless you, Wolfie. :D

Task: "132: Revenant Macroers"

Assigned to: Mr E

Idea: Actually, this fake would have been ideal right after the removal of the Wilderness and Free Trade. But I never did it :P

Basically, you see a tree surrounded by revenant macroers, which would basically be ghostly revenant-style versions of the old woodcutting bots :D

Requirements: Screenshot: a tree, surrounded by revenant versions of the old woodcutting bots (you know, the generic bald, bearded man style, with a yellow shirt and green pants). The screenshot should be from the point of view of your character, standing near the bots. The bots should (obviously) be chopping at the tree; it is up to you whether or not you make their axes ghostly. The bots must look like revenants, but still clearly be a reference to the old woodcutting bots (so their bald heads and beards should be visible, and ideally they should have the old style of face (e.g. small black holes for eyes, and no mouth). You may do more detailed clothing styles, with tattered appearance or something, if it helps their ghostly appearance). You should have an interface, and it is up to you what's in it. Your character may say something, if you like.

Optional/Bonuses: Bonus Screenshot: Have a close-up of a macro, showing its details.

Advice: You can just change your own clothing and hair style with Thessalia and the Falador barber, so you look like one of the old bots. You can actually choose different clothing styles that may help you alter it into a ghostly appearance, just make sure the bald head and beard are the same. Then you can get screenshots of yourself chopping a tree at different angles, and cut them out and resize them and place them around the tree (yes, you will have to copy the tree off its background at least partially, to allow you to add bots behind it. Or you could just erase the parts of a bot that overlap the tree :D)

Since you're probably going to be recoloring the bot (you should, at least :(), your character's clothing doesn't have to be green or yellow - it'll be easier to erase the background with the magic wand tool if your character's clothing doesn't match the background :D. As far as the face - you can use the Stamp tool to erase the eyes and mouth, and then add dark diamond-shapes for the old-style eyes.

Do you accept this task?

Sorry that I made it pretty much entirely a Fireworks-based task, but you said you were willing to use Fireworks :D. Also, I hope I didn't go too in-depth.

Excellent. :(

Sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll have to work on that.

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with all these ideas? They're amazing.

Ye, I guess I'll accept it... I'll try to get it done over the weekend... but with BXPW there's probably not much of a chance :(

Glad you've all accepted :D (except Hunter... He never actually said he accepted it :()

Good luck all! :P

Out of curiosity, how did you come up with all these ideas? They're amazing.

Well, most of the time I come up with ideas not too long after seeing an update. For example, I came up with Revenant Macroers after the removal of Wildy/Free-trade, since that update added revenants, and bots were pretty much gone right after. I thought it would be funny to have some bots try to return with a vengeance and continue harassing our trees :D

Soldier Roach v.s. Raid, I came up with after the Stronghold of Player Safety was released. Bug spray was amongst the first things I thought of when I went in there :D

Other ideas of mine can have random inspirations - I just randomly thought of the Broken Anvil one after gaining a smithing level, since back then you would see a 3D anvil in the chatbox for smithing (all skills had 3D objects for the levelup messages, until some time ago when they got replaced with larger versions of the skill's icon). I randomly thought, "hmm, I think I can fake this anvil broken apart..." A little thinking later, and I had the full idea I posted above... Though I never actually faked it :D

Blade of Amascut was basically an idea I came up with on purpose, since it was for a contest. I decided to pick a god(dess) I thought was interesting, and then picked a weapon for her. The symbol just really happened to work well as a hilt, and I randomly thought of the Angry Goblin's sword for the blade :D

Well i've never really faked an inventory item before, but i'll see what i can do. :D

EDIT: After a squirmy roach and a noob who kept killing them, i finally got a good picture of it. :(

Edited by Admiral

Well i've never really faked an inventory item before, but i'll see what i can do. :(

Does Paint.net have a burn tool, blur tool, or brush tools that let you have blurry edges? If so, that should make shading pretty simple. You'd basically start out by drawing a flat, shadeless shape for the item, and then use tools like that to shade it in (if you mess up the edges, you can fix that manually).

This guide by BlazingFlame can really help you, and luckily, a spraycan is easier to make than a hood :D

I saw you were the first poster there, though I'm not sure if you remember it :P

EDIT: Do note the things I mentioned on that topic though - avoid making your items too highly contrasted :D

Edited by WolfieMario

Well i've never really faked an inventory item before, but i'll see what i can do. :ph34r:

Does Paint.net have a burn tool, blur tool, or brush tools that let you have blurry edges? If so, that should make shading pretty simple. You'd basically start out by drawing a flat, shadeless shape for the item, and then use tools like that to shade it in (if you mess up the edges, you can fix that manually).

This guide by BlazingFlame can really help you, and luckily, a spraycan is easier to make than a hood :)

I saw you were the first poster there, though I'm not sure if you remember it :o

EDIT: Do note the things I mentioned on that topic though - avoid making your items too highly contrasted :o

I really don't know if there is such options. There might be, but i've never delved that deep into texturing before. ;)

EDIT: Think i found them, no idea how to use them correctly. ^_^

2q18e4k.png

EDIT: Just realized my character needs to have his arm out.. :wizard:

Edited by Admiral

Punching the roach may be good enough to have your arm out :(

Try getting a lower camera angle, so the roach and your character's arm are more noticeable. Also, your character should be next to the roach, though I guess attacking it will take care of that :D. Just try to get a shot when no hitsplats are visible, if possible, or you may have to edit the hit out before you can edit in your bigger hit.

I'll download Paint.net and check it out.

Edited by WolfieMario

The cave is really squished and a low camera angle just seems kind of akward with all the walls in the way.

I'm using the beckon emote from a couple squares away since I'd really imagine the spray going a couple of feet. :(

Also, not doing more image editing tonight, too tired.

Paint.NET Item Faking Guide in spoiler

I tried Paint.NET, and it has no burn tools or soft brushes. But it does have a Gaussian Blur, which is good enough :wizard:

First, you can use the freeform shape tool (bottom-right of toolbox) to draw the shapes needed for your item. Try drawing them large, as we'll be using BlazingFlame's method.

Make sure each shape is on a different layer!

Next, you need to choose a transparent color, so click More in the color panel:

paintnettestcolors.png

Set alpha to a low number like that. Now when you draw, you'll draw faint color, and drawing over your strokes will make the shading darker.

Make a new layer for each part you are shading! The shading shouldn't go on the layer of your object. If you want, multiple layers can be shaded by only one layer of shading.

Now, basically layer on brush strokes until you get a rough shading like this:

paintnettestmessier.png

You should let the shading "bleed" far off the edge of the object for this to work right.

When you are done, go to Effects -> Blurs -> Gaussian Blur, and give it a high radius/strength.

Finally, use the eraser (be sure to put Alpha back to maximum if you're having problems!) to erase any blurring that's off the object:

paintnettestnice.png

After this, you can save as a new file, merge all your layers together, and shrink it to a good size. Make sure Quality at the top is set to "Pixelated" when you shrink it!

Make sure the item looks good, and you're ready to outline it. Duplicate it, and use Adjustments -> Brightness/Contrast to make the lower duplicate black (max contrast and minimum brightness usually does it, and if not, try it several times, with lower contrast). Now duplicate the black version until you have 4 black ones, and move each layer 1 pixel in one of the four cardinal directions. Merge the four black layers, duplicate that, and move the lower duplicate one pixel right and one pixel down. Fill it with hexadecimal color 302020 (in the color panel) so it will be the brown shadow.

Or you could just pixel the outline and shadow :ph34r:

The end result?

paintnettestfinished.png

I made some layers transparent, as the cup is meant to be glass. Transparent objects in an item are always in front of a black background, so they look dark.

Edited by WolfieMario

The Gaussian Blur is your friend, sir. I couldn't make the CYOAs without it :(.

EDIT: I've finished everything besides the chatbox (it's looking good, too :D), but I'm not quite sure about everything in the chatbox, such as the exact placement of the image and how far away the text is from it. Do you know where I can find an example of this setup? I know I've seen such a thing before, but I'm not quite sure how to do it without completing a quest or anything :P.

Would simply screenshotting an NPC chat but replacing the head of the NPC with the image work?

Edited by Guitarguy