Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
William Howard Taft

Greatest 20th Century Us President

Well?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best, in your opinion?

• Theodore Roosevelt (1901-1909)
    • William Taft (1909-1913)
    • Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921)
    • Warren Harding (1921-1923)
    • Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929)
    • Herbert Hoover (1929-1933)
    • Franklin Roosevelt (1933-1945)
    • Harry Truman (1945-1953)
    • Dwight Eisenhower (1953-1961)
    • John Kennedy (1961-1963)
    • Lyndon Johnson (1963-1969)
    • Richard Nixon (1969-1974)
    • Gerald Ford (1974-1977)
    • Jimmy Carter (1977-1981)
    • Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)
    • George H.W. Bush (1989-1993)
    • Bill Clinton (1993-2001)
    • George W. Bush (2001-2009)
    • Barack Obama (2009-????)

So, the US has had its ups and downs in the 20th and 21st centuries, and our Presidential history in this past century or so has been no less turbulent.

For the purposes of the poll included, I did not start with McKinley as his term began in 1897 so I figured that would be cheating.

I voted Eisenhower. Personally I found his economic policies of careful Keynesianism to be effective, and his progressive social views remind me of a time when American politicians were worth it.

Also, he hated labels.

I voted FDR because of how well he put Americans back to work in the Great Depression and how he handled WWII.

John Kennedy unless he didn't tap that (Marilyn) in which case, Nixon. I've got to be honest, It's not like a lot of those presidents if any are really that important or great :(.

Ugh voted for the wrong Roosevelt. :D

No, you voted for the right one! :(

teddy-roosevelt.jpg

Edited by heb0

Ugh voted for the wrong Roosevelt. :D

No, you voted for the right one! :(

teddy-roosevelt.jpg

As much as I love Teddy Roosevelt I actually think Franklin Roosevelt was a better president for the same reasons as Guitarguy. :P

I've always seen FDR's Keynesianism as too extreme.

Mass culling of animals, mass confiscation of produce, mass kudzu plantings, etc. I think Eisenhower used Keynesianism more to the advantage of consumers instead of using it to promote industry cartels like FDR.

I mean, under Truman and Eisenhower consumers experienced a wave of new options and had some of the highest levels of buying power ever seen. It was during Eisenhower that fast food became an option, Eisenhower's interstate system massively improved interstate commerce and promoted interstate tourism, and automobile manufacturers made their first real resurgence in cheap, totally new cars since WWII.

Edited by Zombie_Eisenhower

1945-1963 was truly the best times that America has ever (And ever will) see. So I voted for Eisenhower. Truman and Kennedy were runner-ups.

As everyone (hopefully) knows, everyone after Kennedy was terrible in virtually every way possible, especially this current failure and disgrace in office currently. Reagan was alright, but I think everyone hypes him up too much, he was alright though.

I've gone for Jimmy Carter, because he's openly signed the Troy Davis petition. Plus he always seems to crop up in a good light.

He's not got such a good reputation in the US in terms of his leadership. He made a lot of poor choices for his cabinet, and his foreign policy resembled the weak image that Obama portrays now.

Without Carter, Reagan would have been impossible.

1945-1963 was truly the best times that America has ever (And ever will) see. So I voted for Eisenhower. Truman and Kennedy were runner-ups.

I found it rather ironic that a libertarian such as yourself would love an era during which a certain individual, known as Senator Joseph McCarthy, terrorized everyone he considered "unamerican".

Ike was a good president, but I voted for Teddy Roosevelt. He was a badass.

Nixon may have been a paranoid goosedown but he was great with foreign policy. By isolating the USSR, he paved the way for Gorbachev and Reagan to finish it off in the 1980s.

I don't understand why people love Kennedy so much; all he's really known for is his popularity, aside from the Cuban Missile Crisis (where it was actually Khrushchev that saved the day). He started the Apollo program as a propaganda tool.

Edited by theking1322

I found it rather ironic that a libertarian such as yourself would love an era during which a certain individual, known as Senator Joseph McCarthy, terrorized everyone he considered "unamerican".

Ike was a good president, but I voted for Teddy Roosevelt. He was a badass.

Nixon may have been a paranoid goosedown but he was great with foreign policy. By isolating the USSR, he paved the way for Gorbachev and Reagan to finish it off in the 1980s.

I don't understand why people love Kennedy so much; all he's really known for is his popularity, aside from the Cuban Missile Crisis (where it was actually Khrushchev that saved the day). He started the Apollo program as a propaganda tool.

McCarthy was the one looking for members of the Truman and Eisenhower administrations who were potential KGB plants.

You're thinking of the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC). They were the ones who targeted anyone who had even so much as picked up a communist pamphlet once.

I've gone for Jimmy Carter, because he's openly signed the Troy Davis petition. Plus he always seems to crop up in a good light.

He's not got such a good reputation in the US in terms of his leadership. He made a lot of poor choices for his cabinet, and his foreign policy resembled the weak image that Obama portrays now.

But wasn't his foreign policy grounded in human rights? I know that's remained a passion since, because I see his names a lot when I'm involved in AI campaigns. Looking at the Wiki about his presidency, he cut the American defence budget by $6 billion in his first month. Is his bad reputation because the arms manufacturers fell out with him?

McCarthy was the one looking for members of the Truman and Eisenhower administrations who were potential KGB plants.

You're thinking of the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC). They were the ones who targeted anyone who had even so much as picked up a communist pamphlet once.

Yes, although the two aren't directly related they still occurred at a similar time and were both equally insane.

But wasn't his foreign policy grounded in human rights? I know that's remained a passion since, because I see his names a lot when I'm involved in AI campaigns. Looking at the Wiki about his presidency, he cut the American defence budget by $6 billion in his first month. Is his bad reputation because the arms manufacturers fell out with him?

I wish I could say that, but no. The stab wound to the heart was the Iran hostage crisis, which, to put it nicely, was a clusterfudge because of Carter's poor planning.

Yes, although the two aren't directly related they still occurred at a similar time and were both equally insane.

McCarthy had Alger Hiss' number five years before anyone else even investigated him. Many others on McCarthy's list were later found to be merited enough to deserve investigation, and many were found guilty of McCarthy's accusations posthumously in various investigations.

As much as I'd like him to be a nut, he wasn't.

FDR got work done

Second choice would probably be Eisenhower or Kennedy

Edited by Breeze

LBJ. He did what Kennedy couldn't do.

The Kennedy family set a curse on the Democratic party and allowed for Reagan and Nixon to be elected.

At least Carter wasn't Bush II.

Edited by Definition

I voted Nixon, he's funny in Futurama

i love your reason for voting Nixon

humor = good president this is why none of the recent presidents are any good!

I thought Bush's speaking skills deserved some props for being funny... :(

ask obama if he has a computer

ask george bush if he likes fellytones