Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Who?

Jagex On Botting

I didn't see this in updates or announcements, so I decided to put it here for people to talk about.

Dear RuneScape Community,

I would like to take a moment of your time to address the highly emotive issue that we face as a community – bots.

At the beginning of the year, when we brought Free Trade and the Wilderness back, we promised that we would couple that with programmes that would combat the inevitable botting that would result from that decision. Over the last few months we have initiated a number of programmes to do this, some of which we have already mentioned to you, some of which we haven’t because of legal reasons and some because we do not want to warn gold farmers and bot makers about our counter measures.

The challenge for us is that despite all of our programmes and best intentions the problem is still huge and, most annoyingly, still adversely impacting parts of our game.

We are continuing to battle bots on all fronts. In an effort to be more open and transparent we wish to share a couple of measures and initiatives we are about to release/have released recently:

• We have recently improved our internal systems to be able to spot spam from the chat window and instantly mute the offender preventing the constant flow of communication from the gold farmers which are impacting the game experience. Your reports are very helpful to us here!
  • Continuing our ongoing legal cases against bot developers.
  • Mandatory email validation for new accounts will add extra account security and impair the mass account creation that gold farmers use.
  • There are several other initiatives and actions that we plan to implement over the next few months and we will share these with you as often and in much detail as we can. The most significant of these is to come soon. Also, we recognise that we have not been the best at communicating what we are doing and that changes today.

While we are winning small battles by spending significant money and resources in trying to combat this problem, the war is not going in our favour as we are struggling to keep up with companies whose only business 24 hours a day 7 days a week is to find ways to get bots into the game. As a result, one thing has become really clear to us despite our ongoing efforts.

We cannot win this battle alone. We need your help.

So how can you help? First, we would like to hear from you in a more coordinated way regarding your thoughts about how to fight the bots problem. We will be developing surveys to help us understand more about bots directly from you... we would love to hear your response.

We would like to set up a special forum where we can have targeted Q&A’s and get formal feedback from you about specific initiatives. We will let you know when this forum is set up and invite you to join us.

We hope that you will engage with and encourage your friends to use any tools that we provide to you that will help us identify and ban the bots like the Spam Filter feature.

And finally, we would ask that you refrain from using bots or supporting gold farmers. If there is not a market, then bots will not exist. As was so eloquently put in a recent post on Tip.it “Standing up to Jagex [by voicing one’s opinion on the botting issue], one might argue, requires a certain amount of courage, but much more is required to stand up to one’s friends”. The player went on to say, “The community needs to stand up for itself by following the rules and shunning those who do not. Lacking customers, the websites that set up the bots will close, and the only botter will be the isolated real player. Ultimately, following the three pillars of the code of conduct that Jagex set up-“Honour,” “Respect,” and “Security” are a responsibility of the players and the community as much as they are of Jagex.”

We are committed to ridding our game of bots. We are committed to providing a more open discussion with you about the real challenges that we face as a result of our efforts. We are committed to involving you more in this war so we can win this fight together.

Most importantly, we are committed to continuing our investment in evolving and making RuneScape a great game to play and an amazing community to be a part of.

Thanks,

Daniel Clough

Chief Operating Officer & Vice President of RuneScape

This is what the community needed. Now lets see it actually happen.

You think the Runescape Community is going to stop botting? haha.

I suppose you'd be as well informed as anyone on that front :(

In an ideal world, yes, what they've said is spot on - it needs community involvement.

It also needs a hell of a lot more than what Jagex have provided thus far - which is essentially still words. At least they're admitting they're failing at this point, that's something.

They've promised "its under control" for so long that most of the Runescape community that remains has given up battling ( but not complaining about :( ) bots or even reporting them. The modification of the Report abuse options meant that if you did actually try it was usually for the wrong reason because the right ones had been removed.

Good if they stick to it & get some results, but much more likely to be too little, too late.

I suppose you'd be as well informed as anyone on that front :D

In an ideal world, yes, what they've said is spot on - it needs community involvement.

It also needs a hell of a lot more than what Jagex have provided thus far - which is essentially still words. At least they're admitting they're failing at this point, that's something.

Ouch, that hurt :( .

When most of the community bots and they have nothing to loose from it why would they. People are making thousands of dollars from a computer playing this game for them.

I suppose you'd be as well informed as anyone on that front :D

Ouch, that hurt :( .

When most of the community bots and they have nothing to loose from it why would they. People are making thousands of dollars from a computer playing this game for them.

Like I said - ideal world.

Just don't be shocked when the games dead and buried - with attitudes like that being worse than Jagex' own.

random BS that won't do a thing about the botting problem but is only written to make players think that Jagex cares about the problem

Thanks,

Daniel Clough

In my opinion the foreign investors need to get the cabbage out of Jagex. They have proven again and again that they have no idea how to run the game, and only care about profit.

random BS that won't do a thing about the botting problem but is only written to make players think that Jagex cares about the problem

Thanks,

Daniel Clough

In my opinion the foreign investors need to get the cabbage out of Jagex. They have proven again and again that they have no idea how to run the game, and only care about profit.

^ Nothing that have said they will do will happen, and even if it did, would most likely do close to nothing anyway.

I reaalllllyyyyy loved how the GO VOTE FOR RUNESCAPE IN GOLDEN GNOME announcement was placed right above this one on the homepage... Gud1 Jagex, this is just more bs imo. And they are very smart too, "Can you please stop botting so that the botting problem goes away?" l0l nice try, I'm sure all the mass botters got a good laugh out of this whole article or whatevrr you even call it.

I was impressed by the changes to the chat filter that is currently working against the gold seller advertisers commonly at and Grand Exchange and Lumbridge. I honestly didn't expect it of them since the spamming problem had been going on so long. Public chat and friends chats are much easier to see now at least.

Thanks for sharing this The Who. It will be interesting to see what happens (or what doesn't happen) in the coming months. :(

I'm liking what's going on so far. It seems to me that there are less bots in general. The blast furnace on world 58 is seeing less bot traffic which is always a nice thing to see. I'm seeing almost no auto-typers. So to me it seems that they are doing something, and that it's working. Personally I think that we all lost faith in Jagex a bit too fast. ( though I agree that the situation was getting out of hand) I just hope they can keep this up.

Jagex have finally started to look at the issue head on and begun tackling it. I'm sure this won't be quick to do, but it is incredibly important to the long term health of the game and I believe, ultimately, that they will be successful-largely because I think normal players will really want to improve their community by helping them, not just with ideas but reports etc.

People have been ranting on about how they are only saying things and not doing anything. That's simply not true-it might have been on the first day they released that PSA, but that's because they had to say something about the issue first. Now they're doing things like getting rid of autotypers, frost dragon bots, and so on...that's extremely beneficial.

Even if bots can resolve some of the issues, all it takes is another update from Jagex to throw a spanner in the works again. Take frost dragons: a bot, I'm sure, will be programmed to resolve the problem-but until then, thousands of bots will be banned, thousands of dollars will be lost for frost dragon sectors of bot organizations, and real players will be able to enjoy frost dragons as a true moneymaker.

There are a few things that I think'd really help Jagex though; and these are to do with bot detection. Firstly, you should allow players to report a bot once every ten seconds in-game. Secondly, there should be an out of game form for people to report bots, perhaps with a link or a much more detailed description. For example, if someone talks about how they bot on youtube, and I look at their account and see their RS username, I want to be able to report them and let Jagex understand why.

I've never really thought about this, and i'm not sure if anyone else has.

If bots decrease the prices of items that they get from drops etc., the item will soon be valueless and worth almost nothing (Watch dragon bones hit almost 100 coins and bots are completely unable to make money from dragons), and once they ruin the prices of one item, it takes a while to go back up if it even does. Now, if all the resources and everything is so cheap, all the bots will make like 2400 gp an hour, not even making 2 mil a week probably. So many players will quit, but the few that hang on will see a botless game, nothing can make enough money and they're forced to make it like $20-1 mil, and no one will buy. The game would be so player less, jagex would lose alot of money. If the businesses go so bankrupt, they'll be in debt and owe money.

This is going nowhere now, and in the end the companies will always come back and Jagex loses money.

Jagex can buy bots, see how they work and code against it.

People are so bent on money they're ruining other people's fun time so they can make money because they're lazy. It's not considerate of others, but i'm sure they don't care. Just think, it's only a game but they have thousands of dollars income in months for doing nothing.

And I even know some sal's members who have RWT'ed that I don't care to name.

If you guys truly think Jagex cares, you are insane! If you had a multi-million dollar business, and people were botting on it, BUYING MEMBERSHIP SIMPLY TO BOT, and basically helping you, would you care? Come on...It doesn't need to be sugar coated. Jagex only does this so the true and hard working players feel as though Jagex cares somewhat. They couldn't care less.

If you guys truly think Jagex cares, you are insane! If you had a multi-million dollar business, and people were botting on it, BUYING MEMBERSHIP SIMPLY TO BOT, and basically helping you, would you care? Come on...It doesn't need to be sugar coated. Jagex only does this so the true and hard working players feel as though Jagex cares somewhat. They couldn't care less.

You're kidding! Jagex is a multi-million dollar business, and they're finally waking up to the fact that bots are significantly wrecking the potential future of this game. If bots keep going at the now normal rate, Runescape will be finished in 3 or 4 years. The fact is, Jagex care hugely because they want full on players who'll spread the word, improve the community, and make RS more fun-not bots who do none of those things.

You're kidding! Jagex is a multi-million dollar business, and they're finally waking up to the fact that bots are significantly wrecking the potential future of this game. If bots keep going at the now normal rate, Runescape will be finished in 3 or 4 years. The fact is, Jagex care hugely because they want full on players who'll spread the word, improve the community, and make RS more fun-not bots who do none of those things.

If you would really like me too bring up the thread from the RS forums in 2007 where Jagex predicted that (QUOTED DIRECTLY FROM JAGEX) "Bots will soon be undetectable". I am telling you, Jagex does NOT care. Like I said, put yourself in that type of position; the bots are doing nothing but simply giving them more money. There have got to be thousands of RS bots. More then half are probably members.(Auto Flax pickers, Auto Magic Cutters, etc) Come on now, don't be foolish. They aren't hurting Jagex at all, they are just making the true and hard working players mad. They are only doing these type of things to make the players think they care. Nothing more, and nothing less.