Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Clavius

Name Not Available, Noone Has The Name.

Well easy enough for some reason when I look at the member list for "Thumper" (what I want to change my name to) there is no member with this name but when I try to change it apparently another member is using it.

Its not the person's login name Im pretty sure, as my login name is available.

The only assumptions I can come up with are that:

The member does exist but is hidden from the member list.

The database hasn't been updated or there is a problem with it.

General bug with IPB2.

You need an admin to check it out really. Most likely with the move to IPB3 this should be fixed, I'm presuming it's probably that a database hasn't been updated or that there is a bug with the software. Have you tried changing it anyway even though it says you can't because it's in use?

Ya I thought it was a forum bug too or something, isnt there some kind of force operation that admins can do for this though if its not hiding the name

I'll wait for the new forum thingy in IPB3 and see what happens if nothing can be done which is probably the case

I believe they can do a refresh of sorts on it, PM an admin although more than likely only Sal deals with the MySQL files and database information so it would probably have to go through him.

Is it possible that the person has that as their login name and therefore it can't be taken due to that reason?

Is it possible that the person has that as their login name and therefore it can't be taken due to that reason?
I just tested that theory, as it is rather good. However, I just tried it with my login and someone else's and the names appear okay to change too.

I believe because of the way it is coded, all your login names will be unique so two people obviously can't have the same login name. But your display name is something entirely different, there is no link. So if you want what someone else had as a log in name you could because your display name doesn't bother searching login names. The only time it does is at default if your display is the same as login.

There is a user with that login name and it's not a throwaway account so you'll have to make do, sorry. :(

But Donovan.... Why cant he change his display name to a login name. For instance, I can change mine (if i had the ability to).

q1ZsE.png

okay thanks.

I'm assuming it can't be fixed or something

Edited by Breeze

But Donovan.... Why cant he change his display name to a login name. For instance, I can change mine (if i had the ability to).

q1ZsE.png

Because that's not my login name. :( I can't change my display name to your login name or anyone else's. The reason you can change your Display Name back to your login name is because you own both names already.

And no Breeze, if it was an account that was obviously never used we could help you out. Otherwise, like Fatalysm said there may be a workaround for it in IPB3.

Actually you are able to change your display name into someone else login a week after name change release I took my friends login as my username and had it for years after...

This topic has been closed by a staff member.

Reason: Don't bump old topics! Also this has to do with forum display names, not game display names.

If you disagree with this action, please report this post and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,

Sal's RuneScape Forum Staff