Sal's RuneScape Forum
cash money95

Pc Vs. Mac

If they're good enough for NASA, why aren't they good enough for you? ;)

62dx.jpg

Half of them have Macs, the other half don't. And it's not like either one can't do what they're doing in this picture, it's just a matter of preference.

62dx.jpg

speaking of nasa

curiosity is like 4 times less powerful than an iphone 4s so its not like they have high standards!!!!

62dx.jpg

speaking of nasa

curiosity is like 4 times less powerful than an iphone 4s so its not like they have high standards!!!!

When controlling something that far away, I think you want it to be as simple as possible.

62dx.jpg

speaking of nasa

When controlling something that far away, I think you want it to be as simple as possible.

do ppl not understand humour???

62dx.jpg

Half of them have Macs, the other half don't. And it's not like either one can't do what they're doing in this picture, it's just a matter of preference.

Yes to be fair there were probably twice as many Thinkpads, which seem to be the defacto computer in engineering based work environments.

A NASA engineer said that some of them are BYOD and some are JPL issued (the Macbooks), and that most of their work is done in a Linux/Windows environment. Also, a lot of them VPN/portal their way into a work environment so that's pretty platform agnostic. I just think it was funny to see that "Macs cant do work" argument countered b some of the smartest people in the world using them.

macs are stupidly overpriced for what you get. 27" mac which i specced up pretty reasonably @ £2.1k vs £1.1k computer and £1.1k computer wins ok game over no discussion unless u want to pay £1k more for osx and apple care then ok fine by me

62dx.jpg

Yes to be fair there were probably twice as many Thinkpads, which seem to be the defacto computer in engineering based work environments.

A NASA engineer said that some of them are BYOD and some are JPL issued (the Macbooks), and that most of their work is done in a Linux/Windows environment. Also, a lot of them VPN/portal their way into a work environment so that's pretty platform agnostic. I just think it was funny to see that "Macs cant do work" argument countered b some of the smartest people in the world using them.

Honestly, if all I was doing was work I would want a MacBook Pro. I find them easier and more enjoyable to use for basic things like that.

62dx.jpg

Honestly, if all I was doing was work I would want a MacBook Pro. I find them easier and more enjoyable to use for basic things like that.

so you'd pay upwards of $1000 more for a computer that runs excel/word and basic stuff like that???

62dx.jpg

so you'd pay upwards of $1000 more for a computer that runs excel/word and basic stuff like that???

Last time I checked my Mac does a fair bit more than that, but yes. What do you consider advanced stuff, besides games?

62dx.jpg

I meant for working type stuff. Last time I checked most working things don't require tons of CPU intensive programs, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like doing it on a Mac more than on a PC Laptop.

62dx.jpg

I meant for working type stuff. Last time I checked most working things don't require tons of CPU intensive programs, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like doing it on a Mac more than on a PC Laptop.

i realize the whole personal preference thing but that's taking things a bit far don't you think. the cheapest macbook is like $1500 or so iirc and you can get a laptop that does pretty much the exact same thing for about a third of the price or a superior gaming laptop for the same price or less, it just doesn't make sense to me ;c

If they're good enough for astronauts why aren't they good enough for you? ;)

space-station-10-years-thinkpad-1.jpg

(those are Thinkpads)

Edited by theking1322

If they're good enough for astronauts why aren't they good enough for you? ;)

space-station-10-years-thinkpad-1.jpg

(those are Thinkpads)

and on top of that those damn things are literally indestructible, a friend of mine has one and so long as you get the magnesium cage for it, or w/e, you can chuck that thing across the room and it works just fine same with drops and stuff lol.

Though, one thing that comes up for me, is hackintosh.

That will be my next Macintosh.

Do you pay for a Mac then boot it into windows, or am I really missing something?

A hackintosh is a Windows PC with Mac OS running off a storage device or the internal hard drive as the primary OS.

Usually Windows is removed or not installed until after Mac OS is.

Frankly, I understand why people take the hackintosh route, having used a Mac for almost…no…actually three years now. It's a fantastic OS. If you'd prefer to stray from the standard hardware and think you can do it, more power to you.

A hackintosh is a Windows PC with Mac OS running off a storage device or the internal hard drive as the primary OS.

Usually Windows is removed or not installed until after Mac OS is.

Frankly, I understand why people take the hackintosh route, having used a Mac for almost…no…actually three years now. It's a fantastic OS. If you'd prefer to stray from the standard hardware and think you can do it, more power to you.

Ah thanks for jogging my memory haha

Do you pay for a Mac then boot it into windows, or am I really missing something?

No, you pay for a Windows system, and install OS X (or, in my case, OS X and Windows). That way you get the nice OS for leisurely stuff, and the nice specs of a Windows platform.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your reply sparkle :P

Edited by Hunter

my toshiba was like $2K+

a mbp that is much better is $1.3K

how is that over priced??

Well, you got screwed my friend. There's no reason that a 2000 dollar Windows would be worse than the bottom line MBP.

62dx.jpg

i realize the whole personal preference thing but that's taking things a bit far don't you think. the cheapest macbook is like $1500 or so iirc and you can get a laptop that does pretty much the exact same thing for about a third of the price or a superior gaming laptop for the same price or less, it just doesn't make sense to me ;c

I know, but I mean like IF I was going to buy a MBP, that would be the only reason. I didn't mean that working=automatic MBP purchase.

Edited by cash money95

my toshiba was like $2K+

please explain cause either you got duped hard or you're just being silly

my toshiba was like $2K+

This is why you do research before buying a shizzle toshiba for a ridiculous price. ;(

My laptop was 500. Much better than a mbp for 1.3k. Your thoughts? ;p

I'm not so sure;

When did you buy your toshiba? Was it in this century?

Edited by Hunter

Toshibas are generally speaking overpriced.

One of my friends had a 2010 Toshiba that went for $750 normally but got his on sale for $500. It couldn't run Portal as well as my 2009 MacBook (which was $900 with my student discount).

I can run Portal at max fps with graphical settings on medium to max.

Edited by Georgia Sparkle

Big Brands are generally speaking overpriced.

One of my friends had a 2010 Toshiba that went for $750 normally but got his on sale for $500. It couldn't run Portal as well as my 2009 MacBook (which was $900 with my student discount).

I can run Portal at max fps with graphical settings on medium to max.

fixed that for ya ;P

seriously it's not just Toshiba, it's pretty much all the big guys ie Dell, HP etc