Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tabt

Can Men And Women Be Just Friends?

I have quite a few female friends (in comparison to years gone by at least), and I have to say that there are some that I wouldn't be able to think about in the sense of a relationship, but there are one or two who I could see myself with.

It's not even strictly that they're the prettiest ones (although they are), but there are other attractive friends who I can't see myself dating because of the fact we've been friends for so long and it'd be a bit weird

Be real with yourself man, the ones you can't see yourself with are the least physically attractive, amirite?

There is a thing called personality you know. Some people can't be too close but are capable of being in a friendship at a safer distance.

(He also did say that the he could see himself with the prettiest, thus he doesn't see himself with the least attractive ones)

I believe that there are many different types of "friends". I think as you live your life you're going to interact with people at work, school, on the streets, common areas of your community, and you will begin considering them as Friends. Some of those people will be very attractive members of the opposite sex.

If you begin introducing one of them to your PERSONAL life- not keeping them as just friendly, common acquaintances then.. yes I believe it's in hopes that one day you get into their pants.

Posted that on Tabts blog but I like this debate so I thought I'd post here too.

I have quite a few female friends (in comparison to years gone by at least), and I have to say that there are some that I wouldn't be able to think about in the sense of a relationship, but there are one or two who I could see myself with.

It's not even strictly that they're the prettiest ones (although they are), but there are other attractive friends who I can't see myself dating because of the fact we've been friends for so long and it'd be a bit weird

Be real with yourself man, the ones you can't see yourself with are the least physically attractive, amirite?

There is a thing called personality you know. Some people can't be too close but are capable of being in a friendship at a safer distance.

(He also did say that the he could see himself with the prettiest, thus he doesn't see himself with the least attractive ones)

Oh I totally agree there's a personality concept, but generally speaking if you like someones personality enough to be good friends with them, if they're physically attractive then that would be what brings you to be all around attracted to them.

Another point to make is perception of physical attractiveness:

A lot of times if one is emotionally attracted to another, then regardless of whether or not they're conventionally attractive, one would "make" an attraction to that person.

Many times I've been attracted emotionally to a girl who wasn't hugely physically attractive, and that drew me to find her more physically attractive than the average guy would.

Edited by Eye

It all depends on your personality/sexuality, it doesnt matter about gender. Im not going to say morals but that could play a part

I have a decent amount of female acquaintances and a couple female friends, I don't think I've made advances on any of them yet from my memory

Myself, the only advances that would be made would be on me which is rather doubtful IMO since Im a "nice Christian boy" and all that crap

My best friend is a girl and she's hot, blonde and a nice galty. I'm pasty, awkward and nerdy so we're just friends uc. Actually I'm pretty sure she wants my dick tho; will ask and report back to this thread after the holidays. Ty tabt.

Edited by January Jones

My best friend is a girl and she's hot, blonde and a nice galty. I'm pasty, awkward and nerdy so we're just friends uc. Actually I'm pretty sure she wants my dick tho; will ask and report back to this thread after the holidays. Ty tabt.

Men tend to overestimate women's desire:

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/12/15/...36191323932401/

Edited by cjgone

They can easily just be friends, but the problem is usually the guy just doesn't have the balls to ask out the girl so he settles for being friends with her so he can spend time with her.

They can easily just be friends, but the problem is usually the guy just doesn't have the balls to ask out the girl so he settles for being friends with her so he can spend time with her.

That sounds like a lot of people on Sal's.

I have female friends, and I can't deny I never feel attracted to them, but never to a big extent. I guess it's unavoidable, but I do think that you can be friends. But note that I don't have any desire to have a girlfriend at this point in my life anyway, which might be a factor.

Men tend to overestimate women's desire:

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2011/12/15/...36191323932401/

but men who were actually attractive, by the women's ratings, did not make this mistake.

I'm a 9.8 according to Hot or Not so that argument is invalid.

I've had a few close female friends. The difference, to me, is that being physically attractive and sexy is not necessarily the same thing. But yes, I think men & women can be just friends--eventually.

memes_i_like_my_women_like_i_like_my_wine_white_and_twelve_years_old_Lolcanos-s500x500-124542.jpg

i actually cringed when i saw this... that is the creepiest thing i have ever seen.

but on this subject, i think males and females can be just friends. there doesnt always have to be a feeling of "i want him/her" thats ridiculous. if you start interacting with the opposite gender, it does not mean that there is an automatic attraction.

memes_i_like_my_women_like_i_like_my_wine_white_and_twelve_years_old_Lolcanos-s500x500-124542.jpg

i actually cringed when i saw this... that is the creepiest thing i have ever seen.

You must be new to the internet.

Yes, they can. You have to define the limitations of friendship. Although both parties may feel attraction, if they dedicate themselves to being friends they can block out that attraction and be just friends. It's not an issue, in my opinion. Obviously you may think sexually, but that doesn't mean you'll act sexually.

Every single (um, as in available) girl that I have ever been close to has either had a thing for me at some point, or I for her. That's what happens when people get close. So I say no.

I mean, you can have pretty superficial relationship and nothing will develop, but I don't really count those people as friends so much as acquaintances.

That sounds like a lot of people on Sal's.

hey :(

Do people not understand their can be a level of attraction that doesn't develop into feelings? Unless you have almost no experience with women, you can easily have healthy friendships with the opposite sex. It's healthy and I personally enjoy having different group dynamics with my circle of friends that has boys and girls as opposed to my circle of friends that's just a bunch of bros.

Edited by Adam?

In groups, definitely. Friends you spend a fair amount of time with alone, though? Attraction consistently develops into feelings in my (admittedly limited) experience. It doesn't always last, but it happens.

In groups, definitely. Friends you spend a fair amount of time with alone, though? Attraction consistently develops into feelings in my (admittedly limited) experience. It doesn't always last, but it happens.

I mean if you are spending a lot of 1-on-1 time with the same girl, that's a whole different story. That doesn't mean it has to lead to anything, but it's typically going on because at least one of the two likes the other. A girl I spend a lot of time with at college has a boyfriend and we spend a fair amount of time together without other people from our group due to having similar schedules. I guess the difference is that we have already mentally friend-zoned each other.

Another reason for spending time together is having a near-identical sense of humor.

Edited by Adam?

That's what I was hinting at :(

If I'm friends with someone then they obviously have the personality for me to date them (unless it's a really weird case), but there has to be a minimum line of physical attraction for it to happen

Think that's being real to myself? :D

I guess the difference is that we have already mentally friend-zoned each other.

Is there an actual, physical friend-zone then?

I'm imagining it's heavily guarded.

I mean if you are spending a lot of 1-on-1 time with the same girl, that's a whole different story. That doesn't mean it has to lead to anything, but it's typically going on because at least one of the two likes the other. A girl I spend a lot of time with at college has a boyfriend and we spend a fair amount of time together without other people from our group due to having similar schedules. I guess the difference is that we have already mentally friend-zoned each other.

Another reason for spending time together is having a near-identical sense of humor.

inb4 accidental drunken sex

I can't be bothered to read through this all :D so I'll just put what I think.

YES

I don't see why it can't happen as the only difference is gender. Men and women can have exactly the same interests and upbringing and sense of humour and taste in things. Sexually there is no reason why mean and women can't just be friends, for example, a gay man and a lesbian woman, no attraction to each other at all yet can still be friends.

I know this has probably been mentioned but oh well :(

Why do you guys have to argue?

Just watch When Harry Met Sally and you will understand why men and women cannot be friends.

However, they can be if either party happens to be homosexual or both parties. :(