Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cash money95

Experimenting On Animals For Our Own Benefit

As it has been for quite some time, scientists use small animals like rats, guinea pigs, etc to test drugs and chemicals on. Do you think that killing an animal or giving it mental/physical defects is immoral, do you think the benefits are enough to overlook the suffering of the animal, or are you somewhere in between?

I'm all for experimenting on rodents for purely medical reasons but I'm completely against using animals for cosmetics testing and such.

Would you rather we experimented on humans?

There isn't really another financially viable option is there. Sucks to be a white rat.

why... yes?

I don't think that it's a bad idea to test drugs on prisonars (but only the hard crime like rape and murder, not burglary)

I'm all for experimenting on rodents for purely medical reasons but I'm completely against using animals for cosmetics testing and such.

I think so too

There isn't really another financially viable option is there. Sucks to be a white rat.

why... yes?

I don't think that it's a bad idea to test drugs on prisonars (but only the hard crime like rape and murder, not burglary)

I think so too

Just because they're prisoners doesn't mean they should be subject to test subjects. I can't speak about other parts of the world but cruel and unusual punishment is definitely not allowed here.

We do test drugs on humans already...In fact most have to go through several years of trials on humans to see if they have any negative side-effects while still treating the condition it's testing for.

We do test drugs on humans already...In fact most have to go through several years of trials on humans to see if they have any negative side-effects while still treating the condition it's testing for.

A lot of the time they're getting paid to do it. I doubt anyone will try a new drug willingly without being compensated for potential damages and/or lost time.

why... yes?

I think so too

I hate to be one of those people but you would rather painful medical experimentation be performed on members of your own species before those of another?

why... yes?

I think so too

Prisoners? The whole point of prison (most of the time) is rehabilitation. Most prisoners are also able to receive parole at some point. Testing on them would somehow be morally better than testing on white rats?

The "logic" you're talking about here was also used by the Nazis and the Japanese during World War II to experiment on prisoners.

As long as the no unnecessary harm is done, there is nothing wrong with experimenting on animals. There are strict guidelines to follow when working with animals. As long as they're being followed, it's a fairly benign process.

well either we use "lab rats" or we don't test at all

there is no alternative really

just make sure that no unnecessary harm is done and well that's all

A lot of the time they're getting paid to do it. I doubt anyone will try a new drug willingly without being compensated for potential damages and/or lost time.

Actually many people with life threatening illnesses will gladly try to do an experimental technique if it means a chance at living.

It really depends on the drug or treatment, of course.

I think it's a lot better to test on a mouse than a human, especially when the test could kill you.

It's a mouse, big deal. Life goes on.

EDIT: Although I support attempting to put them through as little pain as possible, but that can't always happen.

Edited by Admiral

I agree overall with the testing of medication on animals, it's a horrible feeling knowing that they'll sometimes go through a lot of mental and physical pain but sadly, there really isn't another way of testing as effectively. Knowing that the medication tested has, and will save potentially thousands of lives justifies, in my mind, the use of animals for the testing of medication. As Sleepy said, providing no unnecessary harm has been done to the animal it is perfectly fine, although, it is heartbreaking seeing some of the pictures of animals after testing...:D

They did test LSD on the British Army back in the 50's, with rather funny results! :(

I think it's a lot better to test on a mouse than a human, especially when the test could kill you.

It's a mouse, big deal. Life goes on.

EDIT: Although I support attempting to put them through as little pain as possible, but that can't always happen.

While they test on 'just' mice, they use a wider range of animals too; dogs, rabbits and monkeys. But you're right, a human life is more significant I guess. The suffering of one animal may help the suffering of millions of people...

- Alex

Edited by Relentless

The scientific process really isn't that cruel. I assume the cosmetic one isn't that bad either, but it's more of an "unnecessary evil" whereas the former is a necessary one.

Well, it's them or humans, and so you might as well say, "Let's keep cows alive!", because we're killing them, not even experimenting them, and, yes, it is for our own benefit.

Only after several rounds (years) of FDA testing on 1) individual cells/enzymes 2) small animals and then 3) mammals. Only after that will they allow human trials.

Banning animal testing would either prevent the creation of new medicines or drive the price up billions and billions of dollars. New medicines are already bad enough costing $100+ per month. Imagine if they were in the thousands of dollars; how few people would be able to afford their necessary medication.

If the animals are well accommodated during the trials and sacrificed humanely, I don't see a problem. I personally don't see a problem with testing of cosmetics either.

I agree, although I'm less quick to agree on the cosmetics part. I think that cosmetics, which are generally unnecessary, should just be tested on humans, skipping animals.

I don't want to use the expression "evil" too lightly, but the one way that I can describe it is "a necessary evil." As long as we are treating test subjects in an otherwise humane manner and experimenting on species with stable populations, it is an imperfect system that is necessary.

I don't know enough about the cosmetic industry to strongly speak against animal testing in it. I assume it, just like pharmaceuticals, has the possibility to carry certain health risks to the consumer, so proper testing is necessary. However, cosmetics are for the most part a luxury. I can't really support animal testing for what I see to be an unnecessary line of products.

Humans — who enslave, castrate, experiment on, and fillet other animals — have had an understandable penchant for pretending animals do not feel pain. A sharp distinction between humans and 'animals' is essential if we are to bend them to our will, make them work for us, wear them, eat them — without any disquieting tinges of guilt or regret. It is unseemly of us, who often behave so unfeelingly toward other animals, to contend that only humans can suffer. The behavior of other animals renders such pretensions specious. They are just too much like us. - Carl Sagan

We obviously can't do life threatening tests on our own kind, but I feel if we are to do them on other animals that we should be responsible to not cause more pain than is needed. As much as I know of the scientific process of testing on animals I believe it's generally a fairly 'humane' system.

I value the life of human beings, which could be saved through medical research using animals, over that of easily replaced mice and small mammals. The use of animal research is crucial and irreplaceable in experimental processes of medicine. Their use saves the lives of millions. So yes, even if it causes suffering, it is needed to serve a higher good which vastly outweighs the deaths of the animals.

With regards to cosmetics, I agree with heb0. The safety of the consumers is important and if the companies can show that the research they conduct are necessary, I can see no objection. I also second redmonke on the trials being as humane as possible, limiting the pain endured.

Edited by Phoenix Rider

Technically, the white rats are experimenting on us, and they're really pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent race of beings try to find the Answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

why... yes?

I think so too

Prisoners? The whole point of prison (most of the time) is rehabilitation. Most prisoners are also able to receive parole at some point. Testing on them would somehow be morally better than testing on white rats?

The "logic" you're talking about here was also used by the Nazis and the Japanese during World War II to experiment on prisoners.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but jail in Belgium isn't really that bad... I prefer not to let massmurderers/rapists (like Marc Dutroux), get free... on the countraty, I think a LOT of people in Belgium would be happy if he suffered a painfull dead...

by the way, those nazi/japense experiments had no scientific purpose at all... it was simply to humiliate and cause pain. Mostly on innocent people...

why... yes?

I think so too

I don't know how it is in other countries, but jail in Belgium isn't really that bad... I prefer not to let massmurderers/rapists (like Marc Dutroux), get free... on the countraty, I think a LOT of people in Belgium would be happy if he suffered a painfull dead...

by the way, those nazi/japense experiments had no scientific purpose at all... it was simply to humiliate and cause pain. Mostly on innocent people...

I thought there were some academic aspects to it. (Anatomy exploration, scientific proof of Aryan superiority, testing of tear gases...) I may be wrong though.

The Nazi's did a lot of experimentation into hypothermia, so they knew better how to prevent their soldiers (specifically pilots shot down over sea) from freezing to death. Yeah, it was sick and cruel, but they got what the data they wanted.