Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Supa

Problem With Terminal

hi so I have an iMac with software 10.6.8 and a minecraft server and i wanna set it up with bukkit, so i download the terminal file from http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/575451...-newb-friendly/ and it downloads but then when I click the file it wont let me open it and it says I don't have appropriate access privileges or something like that. I've set all the accounts to read and write for terminal files but it still doesnt work. Also, it pretty much wont let me open ANY terminal .commands. I made a start.command b/c i thought it was a file error so i did a manual install, and it wouldnt let me run THAT either. Any ideas?

sudo [insert whatever you were trying to do here]

Usually sorts out privilege based problems, although i'm not sure about macs. Just be careful what you give root access to, that's one of the main reasons why Unix based systems are so much more secure than NT.

so what, I type sudo then drag the start.command into terminal?

In the terminal type in 'su' (without quotes) and enter the login information for the root then try again.

It's pretty much what Caboose said just a different way...? Idk how to explain. Try both. :(

sorry, i tried both su and sudo and i still dont have permission to run.

try one of these:

chmod +x filename

chmod 0777 filename

right click on the file, select info, at the bottom there should be some permission settings

Edited by Drolleke

thanks Drolleke! That worked! but now i have another problem. When Terminal opens up, it opens and you can type stuff in, but no automatic words come up, like when it should show the time and stuff when you press enter, it doesnt do any of that.

I don't really get what you mean, can you post a screenshot of it and how it should be?

For future reference: (As I assume that those files are similar to .sh ones)

Unix systems use an executable bit, which is required if you want to execute anything. Scripts from the internet should ship without this bit for improved safety.

Also... Just... Don't run a Minecraft server as root... That will only mess up your system if any.

Do you mean that autocomplete is gone or a command that is run when you press enter without terminal input?

Unix systems use an executable bit, which is required if you want to execute anything. Scripts from the internet should ship without this bit for improved safety.

Also... Just... Don't run a Minecraft server as root... That will only mess up your system if any.

Do you mean that autocomplete is gone or a command that is run when you press enter without terminal input?

This, me and red only gave that advice because it wasn't very clear what you were trying to do. It sounded to me like you were trying to install something, and most package managers require root access...

This, me and red only gave that advice because it wasn't very clear what you were trying to do. It sounded to me like you were trying to install something, and most package managers require root access...

I was just pointing it out in regards of r/w permissions for the Minecraft files in case he ever ran it as root. (Unless it's a permanent solution, like an init.d-like task)

And isn't it so that Macs don't have package managers, they use .app folders/files..?

Edited by Popcorn

I was just pointing it out in regards of r/w permissions for the Minecraft files in case he ever ran it as root. (Unless it's a permanent solution, like an init.d-like task)

And isn't it so that Macs don't have package managers, they use .app folders/files..?

I wouldn't know, i've never been able to tinker with one which can actually install software. Lets just say that there are better Unix based Operating Systems out there and leave it at that :(