Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kemosabe

The Hobbit

ofc a nz'er would post this :(

Oh yes, this looks absolutely AMAZING. Nerdgasms EVERYWHERE!

December 14th, 2012 is it's release date then? The perfect movie to watch right before the world ends. :(

Edited by lord earth13

Brought a tear to my eye. :(

Looks great and apparently it will be filmed at 48 fps which I'm looking forward to see how that plays out. I love 24 fps but 60 fps doesn't feel cinematic so here's hoping it works.

Edited by redmonke

I WAS AT MY FRIENDS HOUSE WHEN HE TOLD ME IT WAS OUT AND I LEPT ACROSS THE :( ING ROOM!

Edited by As

I'm really excited for the film, it looks very good. However there are a few things I do not like, such as certain dwarves not looking very... dwarfish. Thorin's beard is way too short, and a few other beards are too. Not too keen on theaxe stuck in Bifur's head either. Other than that it looks great!

All parts are on YT, you'll find them easily. You're welcome. This is going to be an awesome film.

All parts are on YT, you'll find them easily. You're welcome. This is going to be an awesome film.

Well to be honest, I could just drive for a few hours to get in on some BTS. ;o

I'm really excited for the film, it looks very good. However there are a few things I do not like, such as certain dwarves not looking very... dwarfish. Thorin's beard is way too short, and a few other beards are too. Not too keen on theaxe stuck in Bifur's head either. Other than that it looks great!

I don't see what the big deal about the beards is, if all had long-Gimli-and-Glóin-like-beards (the only two Dwarves you can actually see well in the LoTR movies) they would all look the same and the movie would be pretty boring.

I don't see what the big deal about the beards is, if all had long-Gimli-and-Glóin-like-beards (the only two Dwarves you can actually see well in the LoTR movies) they would all look the same and the movie would be pretty boring.

Having no beard (like film version of Bombur) was a mark of shame. In The Hobbit Tolkien said that Thorin's beard was very long and swept the ground.

Having no beard (like film version of Bombur) was a mark of shame. In The Hobbit Tolkien said that Thorin's beard was very long and swept the ground.

In the books there's also no mention of Haldir and a company of elves arriving to assist Rohan, and Éomer was never banished and was at Helms deep the whole time - it was Erkenbrand who arrived with two thousand infantry to save the day. But these changes make the movies more interesting in most people's opinions (including mine), and yes Thorin has a longer beard in the book but so what he's still pretty cool my guess is that they wanted to make him look sort of young and tough instead of an old Dwarf, and Bombur does still look pretty Dwarvish to me at least so it's no big deal really.

OHMYGAWD.... I'm excited :(

As for beards, the reason it may not be longer is because people can't walk on their beards :D And it needs to look neat enough, and when they take the beards off and such it would be much more difficult if they were actually the long length.

In the books there's also no mention of Haldir and a company of elves arriving to assist Rohan, and Éomer was never banished and was at Helms deep the whole time - it was Erkenbrand who arrived with two thousand infantry to save the day. But these changes make the movies more interesting in most people's opinions (including mine), and yes Thorin has a longer beard in the book but so what he's still pretty cool my guess is that they wanted to make him look sort of young and tough instead of an old Dwarf, and Bombur does still look pretty Dwarvish to me at least so it's no big deal really.

I hate those changes with a passion. I know the differences and after rereading the Lord of the Rings for a fourth time, the films no longer hold any magic for me. I don't want elves at Helm's Deep, or a character that never died dying.

I live near where part of this was filmed :(

Not in NZ though.

I hate those changes with a passion. I know the differences and after rereading the Lord of the Rings for a fourth time, the films no longer hold any magic for me. I don't want elves at Helm's Deep, or a character that never died dying.

If you don't like the changes and want the movie to be like the book word by word, then just don't watch it and read the book again.

If you don't like the changes and want the movie to be like the book word by word, then just don't watch it and read the book again.

I just finished rereading the books. :(

I don't want them to do the books word by word, but sometimes it's just too different and isn't as good. I get annoyed when my friends think that the events in the film are what happened in the book without reading the book.

I just finished rereading the books. :D

I don't want them to do the books word by word, but sometimes it's just too different and isn't as good. I get annoyed when my friends think that the events in the film are what happened in the book without reading the book.

But the problem is that most of the people like the changes, I've read the LoTR books at least 3 or 4 times each including The Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin and I do really like the changes because they make the movies more epic. If instead of Éomer appearing it had been Erkenbrand people who never read the books would all be like 'who the fudge is this random guy who never appeared in the movie before and was never even mentioned before?? :(', and Haldir and Elves are there just to make things more interesting and sort of sad because a character people remember from the first movie dies. They couldn't just have Legolas or Gimli die for obvious reasons, and without the death of a sort-of-important character once again people who have never read the books would be be like 'meh lame battle nobody really died is this the best the bad guys can do?'

In the third movie when Merry and Pippin charge after Aragorn you have to admit it's a pretty awesome moment, but hey technically Merry wasn't supposed to be at the Black Gate but then again without him that moment just wouldn't have been the same.

Edited by Micael Fatia

I just finished rereading the books. :D

But the problem is that most of the people like the changes, I've read the LoTR books at least 3 or 4 times each including The Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin and I do really like the changes because they make the movies more epic. If instead of Éomer appearing it had been Erkenbrand people who never read the books would all be like 'who the fudge is this random guy who never appeared in the movie before and was never even mentioned before?? :(', and Haldir and Elves are there just to make things more interesting and sort of sad because a character people remember from the first movie dies. They couldn't just have Legolas or Gimli die for obvious reasons, and without the death of a sort-of-important character once again people who have never read the books would be be like 'meh lame battle nobody really died is this the best the bad guys can do?'

In the third movie when Merry and Pippin charge after Aragorn you have to admit it's a pretty awesome moment, but hey technically Merry wasn't supposed to be at the Black Gate but then again without him that moment just wouldn't have been the same.

I don't actually know many people that like the changes. There's you that likes the changes... all my other friends that like LoTR have read the books and much prefer the books. Everybody else hasn't read the books so cannot comment. The people of this forum much prefer the way Tolkien wrote the books (although, it's a LoTR fanatic forum). It doesn't make it feel any more 'epic' to me and there were most certainly epic events in the book that they just removed, such as Gandalf at the gates of Minas Tirith facing off against the Witch-king. Instead they made Gandalf seem weaker than he is. The elves would have had to leave Lothlórien just after the Fellowship if they were to make it on time to Helm's Deep and how would they have known to go there? I personally would have preferred Erkenbrand. Nobody I know felt sad when Haldir died. Gimli was injured in the book, they should've had that. As for the RoTK, yes I know and I accept that. I'm not really bothered about that change in the RoTK considering the other changes they made were much worse (read: removing every single fief of Gondor that came to the aid of Minas Tirith).

I don't think you understand it's a film adaptation. If they did word-for-word it would quite literality take FOREVER to write, film and edit.

It's fine as it is. Don't forget this is Hollywood; nothing is how it seems. Out of all the plot-holes any film could have, men with fake beards is hardly the biggest mistake.