Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kemosabe

The Hobbit

I have no recollection of any mention of Sauron being more powerful with the One Ring than the Valar, can you give me a quote from the book please? I'll agree with not arguing about who is right for the rest of it though, but Gandalf the White was more than capable of standing up to the Witch-king of Angmar.

I'll edit this part of my post once I find it.

And how would the Galadhrim army (also the only standing elven army) arrive at Helm's Deep just in front of the Uruk-hai army then?

We don't know when they were sent. They could have left Lothlorien long before the uruks entered Rohan. Also I'm not 100% sure about this because it's been a while since the last time I've read The Two Towers but I had the idea the Uruk army was pillaging and burning villages along the way to Helms Deep, so that probably slowed them down a bit. And I'm going to state the obvious again but the elven 'army' (more like just a small company from Lothlorien) were basically scouts with light armour so I'd say they are slightly faster than an army of uruks in heavy armour.

We don't know when they were sent. They could have left Lothlorien long before the uruks entered Rohan. Also I'm not 100% sure about this because it's been a while since the last time I've read The Two Towers but I had the idea the Uruk army was pillaging and burning villages along the way to Helms Deep, so that probably slowed them down a bit. And I'm going to state the obvious again but the elven 'army' (more like just a small company from Lothlorien) were basically scouts with light armour so I'd say they are slightly faster than an army of uruks in heavy armour.

The elves would still have to have departed Lothlórien very soon after the Fellowship left. The army (which in the book was mostly Dunlanders and normal orcs with the Fighting Uruk-hai making up the rest) was closing in on the Rohirrim as they entered Helm's Deep.

Even if the company was just a small portion of the total Galadhrim army, 200 dead elves is still quite a blow considering they're dwindling.

The elves would still have to have departed Lothlórien very soon after the Fellowship left.

I don't see why, if I remember correctly Lothlorien isn't that far from Rohan. And considering elves are faster than uruks (especially scouts) I would say they could have left Lothlorien a week later and still get there in time.

The army (which in the book was mostly Dunlanders and normal orcs with the Fighting Uruk-hai making up the rest) was closing in on the Rohirrim as they entered Helm's Deep.

Even if the company was just a small portion of the total Galadhrim army, 200 dead elves is still quite a blow considering they're dwindling.

Yes but that's in the book, I'm explaining why it makes sense in the movie. I believe the uruk army only left Isengard when the Rohirrim had already reached Helms Deep.

seriously guys, debating Middle Earth logistics? :(

This is an adaptation remember, meaning bits and pieces, are adapted. Yes I was very upset that the entire Scouring of the Shire (a good portion of the book) was excluded but they still make for great film pieces, worthy of acclaim. Don't let your love for the books cloud your judgement on the films, the storytelling is still great.

tl;dr AMGAWSH I can't wait

Comparing a film adaptation to it's book will almost always leave you disappointed. I find that it's best to separate them both in your mind and enjoy/judge them separately. If you couldn't enjoy The Lord of the Rings because it was different from the book, you need to loosen up. :D

I can't wait for this movie. I loved Jackson's LOTR movies and I'm certain that he'll make this one just as great. :(

hey guys y didnt gandalf just have the eagles fly frodo and sam to mordor in the 1st place instead of making them spend 3 books getting there???

One cannot simply fly into Mordor.

Even if they couldn't be flown all the way there, they could have at least been flown to right outside of Mordor. :D

Gosh LoTR contains so many plot holes wat a terrible series :(

I know. At least it's a pretty self contained disaster and it's not like it inspired an entire genre of literature or anything.

hey guys y didnt gandalf just have the eagles fly frodo and sam to mordor in the 1st place instead of making them spend 3 books getting there???

One cannot simply fly into Mordor.

Even if they couldn't be flown all the way there, they could have at least been flown to right outside of Mordor. :D

Gosh LoTR contains so many plot holes wat a terrible series :(

I know. At least it's a pretty self contained disaster and it's not like it inspired an entire genre of literature or anything.

it's obvious that Tolkien just copied Skyrim anyway >.>

it's obvious that Tolkien just copied Skyrim anyway >.>

Ya that's why Aragorn always shouts Elendil before any fight. It's an obvious copy of the shout Faas Ru Maar (Dismay - Fear Run Terror) that causes enemies to flee from the player.

Having no beard (like film version of Bombur) was a mark of shame. In The Hobbit Tolkien said that Thorin's beard was very long and swept the ground.

In the books there's also no mention of Haldir and a company of elves arriving to assist Rohan, and Éomer was never banished and was at Helms deep the whole time - it was Erkenbrand who arrived with two thousand infantry to save the day. But these changes make the movies more interesting in most people's opinions (including mine), and yes Thorin has a longer beard in the book but so what he's still pretty cool my guess is that they wanted to make him look sort of young and tough instead of an old Dwarf, and Bombur does still look pretty Dwarvish to me at least so it's no big deal really.

I hate those changes with a passion. I know the differences and after rereading the Lord of the Rings for a fourth time, the films no longer hold any magic for me. I don't want elves at Helm's Deep, or a character that never died dying.

Indeed. The films, if taken as independent pieces of art, are very well done and impressive. Taken as adaptations of the books, they're horrid.

The films did make LOTR more "mainstream" though, which is good in a way because it exposes more people to an awesome set of books. But yeah, I agree.

But I'm still excited for the Hobbit because the movies visuals basically add flesh to what I already visualise when I read. :(

Today is Tolkien's birthday.

You all know what that means.

EXTENDED VERSION LOTR TRILOGY MARATHON DAY

Don't think I could finish the books in a day.

Today is Tolkien's birthday.

You all know what that means.

EXTENDED VERSION LOTR TRILOGY MARATHON DAY

Don't think I could finish the books in a day.

Finished watching extended ROTK yesterday :(

Here is the

of The Hobbit, very cool stuff.

So excited for this film, looking forward to seeing Martin Freeman as Bilbo, and it's great to see Richard Armitage getting a blockbuster break as Thorin.

I personally couldn't choose between the films or the books, I love them both for different reasons. The only things I disliked about the films were how they didn't include the Scourging of the Shire, as it was one of my favourite chapters in the books and really tied the story together. I also disliked how they had Frodo turning on Sam with Gollum, and pretty much changed Frodo's character for the worse. :( Other alterations I can understand due to time constraints, adapting it for cinema, etc. but this one I just cannot fathom.

Edited by Toad