Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
O hai im KAMIL

Do You Think Jagex Will Ever Increase The Difficulty In Obtaining A Skill Cape?

Well, considering RS2 has being out for 10 or so years, and as of today skill capes are a really common occurance, do you think Jagex will make it more difficult to achieve max rank? If you look at the hi-scores, certain skills have hundreds of players at 200m xp, and Jagex are continually making training much faster and easier. Will something be done to once again make skill capes rare items?

Edited by O hai im SANTA

I'm not understanding the question.

Increasing level cap to 120? Because that's confirmed a definite no.

Not necessarily level cap, but more combat the easiness of obtaining a skill cape currently.

Not necessarily level cap, but more combat the easiness of obtaining a skill cape currently.

Only way I can think of to combat this would be to raise the level cap.

Unless they change the formula for level gaining, but that would not necessarily go over well with the RS community.

No, because at this point it's impossible. It would be damaging to their game in the long run - not only would it deter longstanding and other current players, it would stop newer players from bothering to stick with the game. Why bother starting a goal it's practically impossible to finish?

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, being able to obtain goals and make strong movements towards a sense of "completionism" within the game.

Unless they change the formula for level gaining, but that would not necessarily go over well with the RS community.

Well what I was thinking was, to have sub-categories for every skill, and in order to reach max rank you have to level up all the sub-categories to the max. So say for Smithing you would have a sub-category called 'Creating' (or something along those lines) where you level up that category by creating items, another category called 'Smelting' where you smelt ores to level up and one other category as 3 is the magic number :(. This would ensure that you're not just doing one thing that gives you the most exp to level up, but you're doing a multitude of things. This could also be more realistic as you could get 99 Smithing just by making items, and have no clue about smelting which isn't very realistic - the better you are at everything the better smither you are. The only problem I see with this is how Jagex would implement it currently, with all these people having 99's and/or 200m exp.

At the same time people with comp capes, people with aspirations to just gain allot of exp don't have allot to look forward to, other then telling every1 to look their exp up on the high scores to show off at all.

Well what I was thinking was, to have sub-categories for every skill, and in order to reach max rank you have to level up all the sub-categories to the max. So say for Smithing you would have a sub-category called 'Creating' (or something along those lines) where you level up that category by creating items, another category called 'Smelting' where you smelt ores to level up and one other category as 3 is the magic number :(. This would ensure that you're not just doing one thing that gives you the most exp to level up, but you're doing a multitude of things. This could also be more realistic as you could get 99 Smithing just by making items, and have no clue about smelting which isn't very realistic - the better you are at everything the better smither you are. The only problem I see with this is how Jagex would implement it currently, with all these people having 99's and/or 200m exp.

I'm not even sure that's possible.

The problem with this Kamil is you're breaking up skills into sub-skills based on all the different types of training available. Thereby forcing someone to A) grind more and B) use training methods they don't like as it's the only way. This pretty much destroys what many of the skills are based upon; the ability to be diverse in training it.

They might expand skills (to 120 for example) or add new skills to balance out average xp gain over time but otherwise I have doubts. If they make a skill harder to train, it would be an injustice to the players who have not yet finished training that skill compared to those who have. They might also add some slower xp-rate skills so that a player's time is diffused over 26 skills rather than 25. At the present, if a player trains every skill using the fastest possible method, he or she would average well over 100k xp/hr when in 2003, 100k/hr in any skill was impressive. Some slower skills would help this figure.

They can't just radically change a skill in the way you're describing without possibly ruining it for players who aren't maxed, or giving those who are an unfair advantage. It'd be a much better idea to raise the level cap of a skill (which they've already said they won't do - but they said that when they removed FT+W about it coming back) or adding more skills with slower exp/h rates. But practically every piece of high levelled content that Jagex adds just makes it easier to train the skill receiving the update.

What I hope is Jagex DO raise levels to 120, but gradually. Right now, it is possible to get 99 under 24 hours in probably about 10 skills. It seems far too easy making comp cape as hard as getting 99 rc in 2k7.

This though, would take allot of time and effort - they aren't just gonna raise skill levels to 120, you do kinda need milestones+ new activities throughout 99-120.

The only thing they should do is make it EASYER. :(

Playing since 2008 (? idk) yet no 99. And I play alot..

Edited by Star

I was wondering this too, as well as the max exp caps, especially with players getting closer and closer to it.

I don't think they will. How could they?

This may seem harsh, but either your judgement of playing alot isnt alot by the standards of people with multiple 99s, or you are very unefficient in the way you train.

if you really want a skillcape, grind cooking/fm/fletch/strength

The only thing they should do is make it EASYER. :D

This may seem harsh, but either your judgement of playing alot isnt alot by the standards of people with multiple 99s, or you are very unefficient in the way you train.

yes

I don't really see the point of a skillcape, which is the reason why I don't have one. Emote - vet cape, stats?

Prefer my nomads cape, and once I get it f cape.

Jagex hasn't said that they won't raise other skills to 120, just that they have no plans to.

God I hope they do.

Congratulations! You have achieved 120 Firemaking! You can now burn: Witches!

I dont see why raising the cap to 120 is so bad, just have 2 skill capes like for dung.

The main problem I see with raising skills to 120, would be the fears it may put off people from skilling as they know unless they truely have no life, they wont get 120. (Bad assumption as 10 of the skills are easily acheiveable to 120 IMO) When you are maxed, gaining zero levels for possibly years if you continue to play would get boring. 120 s might affect combat, but you could leave the 99-120 levels as a aesthetic feature.

What I hope is Jagex DO raise levels to 120, but gradually. Right now, it is possible to get 99 under 24 hours in probably about 10 skills. It seems far too easy making comp cape as hard as getting 99 rc in 2k7.

Here's the thing though: it isn't possible to get any 99 in under 24 hours. The preparation, which is part of the process of getting the 99, takes much, much longer, especially if you're trying to do it so fast.

To me, 99s are balanced quite nicely. Mastering a skill can't really happen accidentally except after many years of play, but a nice, determined push of a few weeks for an easy skill or a few months for a harder one is rewarded with a nice cape and a few cool abilities.

The amount of time required to *complete* runescape is higher than the majority of games. Im guessing 5K+ hours if you are reasonably efficient? Thats more time than most people I know put into xbox.

The amount of time required to *complete* runescape is higher than the majority of games. Im guessing 5K+ hours if you are reasonably efficient? Thats more time than most people I know put into xbox.

More along the lines of 2 years minimum if you want 100% completion.

I had a long post but I just ip fudgeed by sals :(

I'll post a TL;DR

I'm thinking in the long term, up to 10 years in the future when xp rates will be much higher so they can start to expand the levels slowly and end up to 120s.